OT-question for Ruger BH owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT-question for Ruger BH owners

Post by 336A »

Hello again folks I have a quick question for you. I was reading over the real guns article on the Ruger BH .41 mag. In the article he stated that his BH had had no wiggle at full lock up so I decided to check mine. Here is my question for those of you that own Rugers are your revolvers bank vault tight at full lock up? I checked mine and the cylinder has just a ever so slightly weeee bit of movement. What are the members Rugers like here? and is this something that will cause me issues down the road and should be concerned about?
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-question for Ruger BH owners

Post by damienph »

I have two Supers, two Blackhawks, and a Single Six. I can make the cylinders on all of them move a little (very, very little). I can honestly say that I have never noticed it until I went to check after reading your post.

My 357 Blackhawk has only had a couple of hundred rounds through it, probably half of them have been 38s. It's cylinder seems to have about the same amount of movement as my oldest Super that has several hundred full house 44 magnums through it and also the same as my Single Six that has several thousand rounds through it.

Me, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by damienph on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IT IS OF NO CONSEQUENCE WHATSOEVER !!! AS A MATTER OF FACT A SLIGHT BIT OF BACK AND FORTH MOVEMENT CAN BE A GOOD THING AS IT HELPS THE BULLET CENTER THE FORCING CONE INSTEAD OF FORCING THE BULLET TO HIT THE FORCING CONE WHERE THE CYLINDER THROAT DICTATES.
YOUR FRIEND BETTER START THINKING AND MUST REALIZE THAT HAVING " NO WIGGLE AT FULL LOCKUP " IS NOT WHAT HE THINKS IT IS, SIMPLY BECAUSE THAT RUGER- BH- WAS- NOT- LINE- BORED.
AS A MATTER OF FACT I HAD A 1965 357MAG 3-SCREW BH THAT WAS TIGHTER THAN THE DICKENS, THE TIGHTEST ONE I AND HAMILTOON BOWEN HAD EVER SEEN, AND IT WAS THE SINGULAR MOST INACCURATE 357MAG BLACKHAWK I EVER OWNED. IT IS NOW A TACKDRIVING 3-SCREW 10MM.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Loke
Levergunner

Post by Loke »

I wouldn't worry about it. My 4 5/8" Blackhawk still hits pretty much everything I point it at, and my SBH shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards (scoped and if I'm having a good day). Both have noticeable wiggle in the cylinder at lock up. I also noticed that when there is a case in the firing position (I tried it with a fired case) there seems to be less wiggle. If you are concerned about the tolerances, the cheapest and easiest solution would be an oversize cylinder pin. Unless it is spitting lead from the barrel/cylinder gap, I wouldn't worry about it.
Judge a person not for how they act, but for who you can help them become.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Thank you fellas' for your help very appreciated. I knda figured it was probably nothin' but I figured I better ask just in case I was wrong, which happens a lot. Just don't tell the wife that :lol:
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Remove the cylinder, cock the gun, and use a magnifier and good light to eyeball the cylinder lock (bolt) and the pawl (hand) where they contact the cylinder. If they are in good shape and the gun shoots well, don't sweat it. I battered the hand spoon-shaped and dubbed the side of the bolt over pretty good shooting OODLES of very heavy loads through my .45 Colt BH. When it started spitting lead out the BC gap, I sent it back to Ruger, They replaced the pawl and bolt, and recut the forcing cone (required setting the barrel back a turn). It shoots aces now and has a tiny bit of wiggle at full lock but not much. The base pin has NOT been replaced and has the normal amount of play when the gun isn't locked up.
Certified gun nut
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I'll keep that in mind adirondak, right now I'm not going to sweat it as the gun is brand spanking new. I doubt that I'll have much of a problem as the majority of the loads that this gun will see is a 215gr SWC over 8.5gr of Unique. Much like your BH this one shoots great when the knuckle head behind it pays attention to what he's doing :oops:

P.S. I'm a .41 fanatic :D
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

336A wrote:I'll keep that in mind adirondak, right now I'm not going to sweat it as the gun is brand spanking new. I doubt that I'll have much of a problem as the majority of the loads that this gun will see is a 215gr SWC over 8.5gr of Unique. Much like your BH this one shoots great when the knuckle head behind it pays attention to what he's doing :oops:

Something that you can keep in mind as well. Ruger has NO written warranty, but they have the best service policy in the business. Basically, unless ya run it over with a pavement roller, if you break it, they will fix it, and your only cost will be to send it to them.
Certified gun nut
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

All of my Ruger BH's, Vaqueros and others are a bit loose but all shoot great.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

adirondakjack wrote:
336A wrote:I'll keep that in mind adirondak, right now I'm not going to sweat it as the gun is brand spanking new. I doubt that I'll have much of a problem as the majority of the loads that this gun will see is a 215gr SWC over 8.5gr of Unique. Much like your BH this one shoots great when the knuckle head behind it pays attention to what he's doing :oops:

Something that you can keep in mind as well. Ruger has NO written warranty, but they have the best service policy in the business. Basically, unless ya run it over with a pavement roller, if you break it, they will fix it, and your only cost will be to send it to them.
Thank you for the info on their service policy. I was unaware of where they stood on such things so that is very good to know.