Marlin Guide Gun arrived...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin Guide Gun arrived...

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, it got here today and I picked it up from the funshop. The owner told me that my Ruger MkII was "probably" sold too if the guy that wants it comes back with cash as promised...

Anyway, the gun... the butstock was loose when I picked it up and the box looked rough - like it'd been thrown around during transit... when I tightened the tang screw, I noticed a hairline crack on the bottom - so this will be going back to Marlin for a replacement - only the second time anything like this has happened to me with shipped gun...

The wood to metal fit on the tang was pretty bad - the wood stuck out (very proud) on one side more than the other.

The trigger was rather heavy but did break cleanly... I cycled a couple dummy rounds with 405 grain cast bullets to check that - they fed just fine but hung up a bit before ejecting - empty brass did not do this. I think I'll mention that to them as well... may as well.

Sorry for the lack of pics, I'll try and remidy that if I get the time.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin Guide Gun arrived...

Post by Pitchy »

The metal seems to stick out on the bottom more on mine too.
Check to see if the rim of the case is hitting the end of the ejector causing the bullet to hit the chamber. If it is remove ejector and put a bevel on the top front edge of it like the bear proof ones have, mine did that.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hmm, maybe I'll just get a bear proof... I want to get an aluminum follower too anyway...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

I bought a guide gun about five years ago and when I received it, it has a micro crack in the stock at the tang. I contacted Marlin customer service and they sent me a new stock free of charge without me having to send the gun back. I got the new one, put it on, and everything looked and worked great.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

The same thing happened with mine a few years ago,mine had a small chip out of the wood right where the stock meets the reciver top right on the tang. someone had filled it with what looked like a colored furniture stick. I think it was the dealer I bought it from. anyway I called Marlin customer service and talked to a Very Nice Lady in Customer service. four days later a new stock was on My porch. I don't know if the New Marlington will do this or not. Good Luck with it.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Hmm, maybe I'll just get a bear proof... I want to get an aluminum follower too anyway...
What was happening with mine was the rim would catch the end of the ejector and try and eject the shell to early causing a hitch. Because you said it worked fine with and shorter empty case that was my guess.
If ya work the action real slow and watch the shell you`ll see it try and eject early if that`s the problem.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Pitchy, looking at it - I think that may be exactly what's going on. Thanks :)

Upon further inspection it has become clear that the problem with the buttstock is that the inletting is too wide (or the tang too thin?) but even with the tang screw tight, you can move the stock left and right - when it's in the center, the wood actually lines-up on the outside pretty good - only a little proud on both sides. But it moves...

Well, I just called Marlin to see about returning the gun.

The lady asks "are you comfortable changing the stock yourself?" I sez "yes Ma'm that's no problem at all" and so she's going to just send me a new stock... she checked the serial number to be sure and get the right one - sez they're on backorder but should ship in a couple weeks... and that she doesn't need the old stock back... "OK" I say.

We shall see. That's certainly better than having to send the gun back and forth - especially now that uncle batfart dictates that it go through a dealer...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

OK, here's a picture. Funny, the camera really exagerates the difference in the wood on the handguard and buttstock... maybe the new one they're sending will be lighter (buttstock)... but it really isn't noticible in person...

Looks like a Guide Gun no?
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice looking gun, i like the straight stock, hope ya get er runnin good soon. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nice rifle and good luck with it. The posts that followed yours citing similar problems and additional problems is exactly why I never had interest in buying a new Marlin. I've never had a bad stock fit or any other problems with Win 86's ,94's and 71's that I bought whether US or Japanese made. It is good to see that Marlin customer service is still on the ball sending out a replacement as soon as possible and without needing to exchange the old parts. Let us know how it shoots!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now the $100 question is whether the "new" stock will fit any better then the one you have now !

If it doesn't and I were you . I'd glass bed one of them and sell the other !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I hope it works out for You like it did for Me. I have stock #1 for an everyday beater and the second to hold on to. the latter is very nice and I'm a Happy Guy. :wink: .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I took the exsiting stock off to take a looksy. There were two "chips" cleanly broken-off of either side of the wrist - wierd. Must have take a very hard hit during transit. I removed them and reinstalled the buttstock for now... I am sure that the new one will fit better...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Latest development... installed some XS sights - which made something very very apparent - the barrel is turned to the right (not indexed correctly). The dovetail that they cut to mount the magzine tube on the bottom is cut strainght... so you can't just turn the barrel (my first thought - I have a barrel vice) and if you look in the receiver, it looks like there's plenty of room for the extractor cut - it would actually line-up perfectly with the cut in the reciever if I rotated it enough to fixe the sights... weird.

Anyhoo, I called Marlin and they said - send it in... so I am. Switched the XS sights off of course as I'd probably not get those back.

Off to Ilion it goes.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

If it helps at all that was another problem with my new guide gun, sent it in and they re-indexed the barrel and sent it back right. Took six weeks for mine but maybe they`er getting caught up.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Pitchy wrote:If it helps at all that was another problem with my new guide gun, sent it in and they re-indexed the barrel and sent it back right. Took six weeks for mine but maybe they`er getting caught up.
OK, they re-indexed it - but how's the magazine tube line-up? OK? Did they recut the dovetail for the magazine mount?

I'm just trying to figure out how they can do that with the existing barrel and make it work...?

And my gun seemed to shoot great - but because of the loose buttstock, I'd ge weird flyers, so it was hard to tell for sure...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I don`t know how they fixed it, all i know is the sight is top dead center now. Mine shot good with the buck horn it was when i put a peep on it and had to adjust it all the way to one side to hit POA.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Sorry to hear of your challenges OSOK....that is frustrating. I went through a similar ordeal with my Winchester 94 Trapper with the barrel indexing. Hopefully they will put a new barrel on for you and you get your other issues resolved quickly.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I guess they'll do whatever they need to do. A new barrel is probably needed though as I can't see how you would "undo" the two out of whack dovetail slots...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!