Sadness, Joy, Aggrav., The 32 S&W, All In 4 Days--Pic Heavy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Sadness, Joy, Aggrav., The 32 S&W, All In 4 Days--Pic Heavy

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Guys,
Its been a little rough here at the Sixgun homestead the last few days, but thats what life is all about---accept it or jump off the bridge----I'm a survivor as I have lots of tombstones to urinate on. :wink: :D

OK, on Thursday, Spike, our oldest Yorkie at 16 (would have been 17 on Nov. 4) died. He was my Jeep partner for many years. I buried him during a rainstorm.

The next day I get pulled over by the cops for running a stop sign. First moving violation since 1978. I tell the cop (nice guy, very professional) that I'm guilty as sin and always considered that stop sign a joke, as it protects nobody and was put there by litigation of the guy who lives next to the stop sign :wink: --- (who is an attorney) . The cop smiles, tells me that he likes my N.R.A sticker, and gives me a warning. :D

Yesterday, our refrigerator of 16 MONTHS goes bad. I call the folks at Lowes and they tell me I did not buy the extended warranty plan. (4 Months past the 1 year warranty) I tell them that every refrigerator I have ever had lasted 15+ years and I will never buy their junk again----They tell me that they will send out a repairman---free of charge---I thank him and will write a "thank you" letter to management.

Yesterday afternoon, I was testing these original Marbles cartridge adapters (more on that later) at my 142 yard gong out back. I was shooting them through my giant silencer and there was NO sound except for the bullet hitting the gong. An as*hole neighbor calls the Pa. State Police. The cop comes over and tells me that a neighbor complained about me shooting. I "show & tell" the cop whats going on (with guns and ammo and silencer) and that the complainer is a city guy who moved out here and wants to bring his
city culture out with the people who built our area and the next thing 'ya know, he will want street lights and sidewalks for riding their stupid bicycles, all the time wearing their Speedo "bike shorts". The cop agrees with me and says "don't worry about nothin'".--- :D

The FUN stuff-----Saturday morning, I decide to cruise on up to the Cartridge Collectors show in Morgantown, Pa. I sell a box of Vietnam War era flechettes for $100 and within 15 seconds, spend that money on these pre-war Marbles cartridge adapters. These are very cool and I'll give you boys the contact info on the oldtimer who has LOTS of these if you request. $25 a pop.

So...............This brings us back to the story of the city slicker who lives on the other side of the woods from me.----I get home from the cartridge show and get out an old Model 95 Winchester in 30-40 Krag and insert the adapter with a .32 S&W short---I test her out at 50 yards---not even trying to get a group I put 10 or so in 2"-----..........mmmmmmmm.......I then test this combo out at my 142 yard gongs and as long as I held on, the bullet zipped right on and made the "clang". Funny thing, the only thing you could hear was the bullet hitting the gong----must have made the city slicker neighbor a little nervous. :D :wink:

These new city slicker neighbors ought to go back to the city where they came from. We "country folk" have a different way of looking at the funner aspects of life. Here's a few pics for you boys to enjoy.

Spike--------See 'ya buddy. :(

The "group" at 50 yards using the 1895 30-40 Krag with the 32 S&W adapter. The black square is 1"

The 142 yard gong--silhouettes--way out in the shade of the trees, not the closer one which is 100 yards.

A birds eye view of my giant silencer--the part I shoot through---the gongs are in their somewhere--I ain't too good at takin' pics.

Heres a pic of the 1895 (made in 1902) with the adapters.---left to right------------30-06/32 S&W Short-------------30-40 Krag/32 S&W Short---------32 Spl/32 ACP---------25-35/25 ACP

Close up of the 30-40 Krag adapter along with a loaded round which is the Lyman 311284 (220gr.) and a 32 Short with 1.3 gr. of Bullseye-----The load that my good friend Ysable Kid had in his write up. I really wish most of us lived closer as I consider you boys my friends and we sure could have a good time together---swappin lies and shootin'-----------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sadness, Joy, Aggrav., The 32 S&W, All In 4 Days--Pic Heavy

Post by 6pt-sika »

Condolences on your loss !

In my family we never considered them dogs but rather little family members !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Jack, I am so very sorry for your loss.

I love the adaptors. I have a set for my 9,3x74R over/under Rizzini for use of 9mm Makarov. I find them to be very accurate also.

Sounds like your neighbor should learn to fit in.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sorry for your loss Jack. Neat set-up. I feel for you with the neighbors, I've got a pair myself.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Sorry about your Yorkie; we've lost two of our four dogs this year too. I understand how much they mean to you and how painful it is to lose them.

I would like to know more about your "silencer". My neighbors don't complain when I shoot but I get the feeeling that our horses and dogs would prefer that I didn't.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

damienph wrote:Sorry about your Yorkie; we've lost two of our four dogs this year too. I understand how much they mean to you and how painful it is to lose them.

I would like to know more about your "silencer". My neighbors don't complain when I shoot but I get the feeeling that our horses and dogs would prefer that I didn't.
Thanks guys. That little dog dieing was like a spear through my heart. My next "best" is Skittles, pictured in my avatar. She is 12 and is still full of pee and vinegar.

Did 'ya ever notice that there are "dogs" and then there are "dogs"? Skittles and Spike are/were dogs that could think. Anyway, on to more pleasurable items of interest.

damienph,
here's a few older pics of the "silencer". The gun you are shooting still needs the velocity of the bullet to be under the speed of sound--about 1150. Higher velocities are still muffled a great deal but you here the "sonic boom" of the bullet---the "crack",--------Sixgun

This is "Eddie" modeling in front of the "silencer". The silencer is pulled out of the plastic drum to show how its built. It slides in and is held by 2 or 3 wood screws. The blue part does not slide in. Thats the part I rest the gun in. If I did not have that, the barrel of the gun would be towards the end of the drum and therefore would not hold in the sound. For the gunguys, the rifle is a Winchester Lo-Wall, made in 1909 in .22 L.R. with s.o. 28" oct. barrel, set trigger, and a 36" 5X Stevens scope.

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Sorry about Spike Pard...i do know about the loss & the feelings of losing a good buddy. Wish y'all were closer too, to make some good times.

Gadzooks! Your Krag is shooting like a house-a-fire...those A-daptor thingees are going to put a whole bunch of fine meals on your table...congrats. An old 30-40 will still do the same job it did when it was new. What a fine combination...make the most of the blessing Pard. It's one beootiful rifle & one grand old cartridge.

I had forgoten how lush Pa. is...the pic of the 142 yrd. gong reminds me. You're living in a wonderful place. You Pard are blessed indeed! :wink:

Thanks for posting...

LB
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sorry for your loss sixgun, bummer. :(
Could be worse though, ya could go crazy like me and start building spinning wheels. :roll: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Close up of the 30-40 Krag adapter along with a loaded round which is the Lyman 311284 (220gr.) and a 32 Short with 1.3 gr. of Bullseye-----The load that my good friend Ysable Kid had in his write up. I really wish most of us lived closer as I consider you boys my friends and we sure could have a good time together---swappin lies and shootin'-----------------------Sixgun
Jack, the feeling is mutual. I really wish we all lived closer too. I'm going to try to set up another trip to PA on business sometime before the end of the year. I'll let you know when I do.

I've really sorry about Spike. I know that losing a loved pet is gut-wrenching.

Glad to hear you just got a warning. Sounds like the police in your area are very understanding.

Those adapters are very cool! I will need to pick up some of those soon!

Now... for the last... that darn new neighbor of your! :evil: This just burns me up no end. It happens over and over and over again. People move into an established area, and figure they can impose their "vision" on their new neighbors - and make them change how they have enjoyed living for years. One of the local ranges around here is fighting a battle with a new neighborhood that got built nearby. The range has been there for decades - and the area used to be farmland. The new homeowners knew their was a range nearby. Now to me, the sound of shooting in the background is sweet music to my ears. Apparently to these pansi-fied whiners, it gives them the vapors and makes life unbearable. Like you, my thought is to tell them to go back to the pit they came from! :evil:

Same thing happened to a homeowner down here years ago. He had several acres and had a personal range. Very high dirt banks as back stops, and he was nice enough to put up a lot of heavy tarps to act as noise breaks. New neighbors decided to hassle him with a call to the cops every time he used the range on his property that he had been using for 30 years before they moved in.

Happened to me when I was growing up too. Our neighborhood backed up to a large open field and wooded area beside farmland. I used to hear gunfire in the distance every day of summer - and was often the cause of said gunfire. :D As i got older, the farmer sold his land, and homes started getting put in. One of the things I looked forward to the most when coming home from college was to take a couple hours of "me time" and go shooting to relieve stress. Last three times I went out I got a visit from the police. They were also very understanding, but told me they had to respond to the noise compliant. I moved away after graduation, but I'm sure no one gets to enjoy shooting in the area like we did when I was growing up. I tell Y2K about being able to take our guns, walk through the neighborhood, go shooting, and the only question we'd ever get was "did you get anything?". Drives him nuts...

Sorry to hear you have such a neighbor Sixgun... :evil: :evil: :evil:
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Shame about your little guy.

We built 2 of the mufflers out on the farm. Local ordin forbids greater than 22. Made one like you have. Was 2 sheets of plywood and made a box 2x2x8 ft, filled with fiberglass insulation and used window screen to hold it in place. Then we made a 4 ft cube that was on wheels also stuffed with insulation etc. With the 2 inline you could shoot whatever you wanted but yes the crack was still there of course.

With 22 subsonics all you would hear was the action clack clack and impact. Did not need muffler for this stuff. Accurate too.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sad news about your Spike. But he did have a good long life didn't he?

And your muffler set-up is very cool... thanks or sharing that!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, I guess its kind of hard to accept, but they call this encroaching of the city folk, "progress & civilization". I've lived here 36 years on the land bought by my father-in-law in 1948. I don't try to take advantage of the legality of shooting, staying with small stuff under the speed of sound with the occasional boom to make a fouling shot or to test a new acquisition to see if it works.

I'm nice and settled here and have no wish to move---looks like I'll be spending more time upstate on my days off :D

-------------------Sixgun-----------------

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry about your little guy. That's tough.

Adapters sound cool.

Those dog gone cops. Treated ya right though didn't they.
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Sorry to hear about Spike, it's hard to lose a close friend like that.

Anybody wanting adapters might try:

http://www.mcace.com/
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

A few thoughts:

1. Sorry to hear about your loss, I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year.
2. Love that muffler, and might have to build myself one eventually.
3. Don't know why folks won't stay in the city if they are unwilling to adapt to life in the sticks. Maybe it will all work out. Invite him out shooting with you one day.
4. In picture one it looks like you have a really nice sod. Random I know, but I love a well manicured lawn and had to say something.

Okay, I guess that's it for me.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

sorry about your little buddy.....
hang in there....

although I cant shoot at my place....lots to small
the guys in the back and on the sides shoot all the time....
99% dont complain...but there is one a-hole who does...
but mostly about my skeet and trap club thats 3 or so miles away...
he was told to go pound sand....

funny that you said the city slickers will wanted to put street lights up....
thats exactly what happened here....she wants to ride her bike and
take walks in the evening...........
we told her to go back up north where she came from...
or move into town...we all live out here in the country so we can see the stars
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Dawg
Levergunner

Post by Dawg »

Sorry for the loss of Spike, Sixgun. He looked like a handsome little guy. I have a Papillion, and there is a little brown Yorkie on our walk route that my little guy is buddies with.

I have a friend who is a retired county Sheriffs Deputy that lives on Bull Shoals lake in Arkansas, and he has a 50 yard range on his place, and the last time I was down there shooting with him, one of his new neighbors that moved there recently from back east, complained to the Sheriffs office that we were raining lead down on them. The Sheriff came out and talked with us, and took a few shots and had some Lemonade before he left.

Folks that move someplace new, really ought to try to fit in, rather than take over. :mrgreen:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Sorry for the loss of your little partner. But everything else was darn funny. And yes country folk have a different perception of fun and entertainment. It reminds me of when I was talking to some other hockey parents. They were all talking about what gyms they go to , to keep in shape. I tell them I try to cut and split fire wood all winter , plus I get to enjoy the out doors and shoot a little. They all looked at me like I was from Mars. Nice people , don't have much in common with them, beside kids hockey.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sorry about your loss sixgun, I know just how hard it is.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:I really wish most of us lived closer as I consider you boys my friends and we sure could have a good time together---swappin lies and shootin'-----------------------Sixgun
Same here.

At least the internet helps us be reminded that there ARE other levergunners out there... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
I was very sorry to hear about Spike. :cry: My condolences for your loss.

Regarding your neighbor, I would suggest inviting him over to shoot a few rounds telling him that those reports he heard were the "SOUNDS OF FREEDOM". If he accepts and enjoys himself, you will likely have a convert that would now support the 2nd amendment....... :mrgreen:

Oh, nice adapters! Now you need some with the WINCHESTER name on them.... :wink:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Jack, sorry to hear about Spike. It's never easy to lose a good dog.

Glad things went well with the other things. I like the chamber adapters, I have a couple of the Ace adapters.

I shoot in the yard a little, but try not to annoy the neighbors too much, even tho most wouldn't care. The law here just says you have to have a safe backstop, otherwise they don't care.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Jack,

I'm very sorry to hear about Spike. It's tough to lose a dog you've given your heart to.

I like your shooting set-up. Keep dirtying those barrels!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

w30wcf wrote:Regarding your neighbor, I would suggest inviting him over to shoot a few rounds telling him that those reports he heard were the "SOUNDS OF FREEDOM". If he accepts and enjoys himself, you will likely have a convert that would now support the 2nd amendment....... :mrgreen:
Jack,
The guy is a hunter---bow hunter. I believe the whole thing was done by design---bow season starts in a few weeks-----------------I can't wait. :wink:

See you at the Pa. State Champs???------------------Sixgun

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
You could show him how to shoot an arrow out of a 410 shotgun using b.p. and a wad cup like they recently did on
"Sons Of Guns". That ought to impress him! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes. See you at the States......unless the good Lord knows something I don't......
My wife will be with me just to be sure I don't act up too much.... :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian