1895 gs cracked stock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

1895 gs cracked stock

Post by dave in maine »

well i just picked up a used 1895gs and lo and behold the stock is cracked severly at the tang. marlin isn't interested in my problem so i'm wondering does anybody make a synthetic stock for the guide guns? it seems the most practicle way to go.
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 1895 gs cracked stock

Post by Jeff H »

dave in maine wrote:well i just picked up a used 1895gs and lo and behold the stock is cracked severly at the tang. marlin isn't interested in my problem so i'm wondering does anybody make a synthetic stock for the guide guns? it seems the most practicle way to go.

You got lucky. The crack shows you exactly where to put the Acra-glass - no guess-work.

Not to make light of your problem, but really - now you know where the weak spot is and for less than $20, you can 'glass it and probably not have to worry about it again. I haven't seen it, so it may be worse than I am making it seem, but I'd just about bet you can make a repair that will make it better (stronger) than it was when new.

I have had very good results with Boyd's laminated stocks for Mausers. If they make one for Marlin, that may also be an option. I don't know of a composite stock myself but they may well be out there.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Did you take the stock off? If you do, you may find two "chips" cleanly broken off and just floating on the sides of the tang - that's what I found when I examined my NIB GG. If you do find those, I would glue those back on and secure with some small pins, screws or similar as part of the repair as they index the stock to the tang...

Since mine is brand new, when I called, they said they'd send me a replacement. But then I discovered that they screwed up the indexing of the barrel too - so its on the way to them right now for repair. I'm not sure it it will come back with a new buttstock or if they'll still send the buttstock separately... I told them that it was on order.

I checked Midway USA and they've got two straight-grip buttstocks for the 1895 - both walnut, unfinished and finished. I think that any 336 buttstock will fit as well since the receivers are the same - of course if you change to a pistol grip, you'd need a new lever to match.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

+1 on fix it. It's pretty easy to do.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Wild West Guns has a synthetic stock that will fit. But they ain't cheap.

http://www.wildwestguns.com/index.html
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Another comment.

The previous owner may have sold the gun because it "wasn't accurate". But a stock that shifts upon firing will cause groups to shift and open up - even if the barrel is perfectly accurate.

I took mine to the range to check point of impact and the groups weren't very good - it seemed to want to put them all in one cloverleaf and then a flyer - it was the loose stock. I've found this before too.

Jut thought I'd mention that...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

osok your post is what made me look closer, what i first thought was a crease turned out to be a curse. the right side is also chipped off and was stuck in the action when i pried the stock off. as for the synthetic, i paid less for the rifle, talk about sticker shock, i almost wet my pants. thanks to all for the input, i'll explore further but since i'm looking forward to using it on a moose hunt this fall i'd better expedite the matter.
dave
osok i got it from a friend of a friend that's going through a divorce, no mention of acuracy, just a common bond, btdt.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah. Same as mine then.

I'm pretty sure mine took a hard whack during shipment. I didn't see how it arrived to my dealer but if it was shipped in Marlin's scanty box, then there was little protection.

You'd think they'd go with a styrofoam packing or something similar that would protect the guns during shipping better... heck, I shipped it to them in a nice "egg crate" foam lined box that my Century Arms AK arrived in.... pretty bad when Century Arms out does you on something as basic as packing....

Final thought - you may call Marlin and see if you could purchase a new stock - you may even see what a laminated set would go for - that'd be kinda cool on a blued gun I think... different anyway.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
dave in maine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dave in maine »

better than styrofoam, would be to ship the gun with the stock removed to be replaced when it arrives, i stoped at cabelas and picked up their alpha series 3 t0 12 scope for 74 bucks on sale from about 150 it's very clear for a cheap scope and has the bdc reticle, so i've got something to play with when it's repaired, and it's stainless, so synthetic stocks would really look sharp in my opinion.
dave