OT: Irene update pictures on Pg. 2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Irene update pictures on Pg. 2

Post by JReed »

Well things are getting a bit breeze around here. It should get interesting tomorow morning. I will let you northern boys what to watch for once she is done messing with us.
Last edited by JReed on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Irene

Post by 2ndovc »

Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jeremy, we have been watching Irene heading for you, do ya'll have a safe place on base for your family?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I plan to :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

We'll be thinking of you.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

First an earthquake, now a hurricane. Think the Marines might be rethinking sending you East? :lol:

Y'all keep your heads down out there...
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Jerry
We are living in base housing so we are just gonna sit tight looks like it will drop down to a cat 1so shouldn't be much of a problem.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Keep your head down, and your chins up....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Good luck.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Hope the best for you and yours.
Old Law Dawg
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Here is what the local weather station has up. We are in Havelock just for reference.
http://www.wcti12.com/weather/index.html
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Keep your powder dry!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

JReed wrote:Jerry
We are living in base housing so we are just gonna sit tight looks like it will drop down to a cat 1so shouldn't be much of a problem.
Cat 1? Why............ Thats nothin but a stiff Nor'Easter ! no sweat :lol: (what some old salt sagely told me about Isabel in 2003, -- then it came aboard and did millions upon millions in property damage ) :lol:

Isabel was my first hurricane as an insurance adjuster so i remember it fondly (well-- fondly is too kind a word --- sleeping in my truck outside Kill Devil Hills and Elizabeth City for almost 2 weeks because there were no rooms ---- fun times)
The connection is that this one is washing ashore at roughly the same place -- but the angle is different to be sure
----- Doug
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

can you sit in a tank all night?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like it's gettin' kinda wet down there!

Hope y'all are allright!!

jb 8)

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

El Chivo wrote:can you sit in a tank all night?
More to the point can the family sit in a tank all night?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Well made it thru just fine. Now just waiting for the power to come back up. Lots of down trees and powerlines. Y'all up north are gonna get a lot of rain from this one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good to hear!

Amazing what a couple hundred miles will do. We had a picture perfect weekend here weather wise.
I did see a dozen convoys of power company vehicles heading east on the highway yesterday.
Nice to see reinforcements on the way!

jb 8)

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

We lost our power in Central Massachusetts from early morning til 5:30 PM.
We had gusty winds 30-40 mph, but not too bad and a lot of rain overnight.
There will be significant flooding in low lying areas.
I'm on one of the highest hills around so OK there too.
The folks in the hill towns got hammered with both winds and flooding.

Hope everyone made it through OK.

Jack
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

3-4 inches of rain and a lot of trees down, some worrisome flooding, dams threatened, etc. 1/3 of the county is without power, but so far lights holding here and no immediate threat from anything as long as no trees blow down before the soil firms up. Those without lights may wait several days for the power to return.
Certified gun nut
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Between 2:00 and 4:00 was the worst with the wind. Gusts was clocked around 68 mph! :roll: The rain stopped around 1:00 or so. I'm kind of surprised we still have power but it's been flickering. Central Maine Power saying 100,000+ is without power. I have just large branches down one nice one nearly hit my truck. Wind still howling but not as much.

Mainehunter :wink:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My wife took some good pics I will have to put them up. Total rain for us was over 13" started Friday about 4pm and didn't stop until 10:30 pm Saturday. Wind was steady at about 75mph for a bit with gusts up around 100. I am glad to hear she calmed down a bit by the time she got to the rest of you. I know New England has gotten a lot of rain as of late so you all didn't need much more.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ok got some pics for ya. Sorry for the quality they were taken with a cell phone while we were driving around in the rain.

This is a house behind us. Not to fear I saw him driving the truck today the house was not so lucky.

More down and broken trees in the neighbor hood the one on the ground took out a power line.

This house is just 2 down from my Chief Warrant Officers house.
front of the house

The Navy Docks
Yes that is a power line down in the street

Our dog park took a hit. This tree took out the fence and smashed some benches.

Another tree laying on power lines.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ouch! Glad you are okay. Sure looks like some of your neighbors weren't so lucky! :shock:
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Irene update pictures on Pg. 2

Post by JReed »

Our little street looked like nothing had happened as you can see not so for others. Woke up to the sound of chains saws as folks cleared their yards. Spent most of the morning hauling logs into piles as others cut the trees in their yards up. Gonna be sore in the morning.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Glad to hear you're okay, Jeremy. Storms like that are why I personally think all future power lines should be in the ground.
Old Law Dawg
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

We lost power in Belgrade, Maine around 3PM Sunday.

All of a sudden I was crimping 41 Mag cartridges in
the dark!!

We still have no power as of 9 AM this morning.
180,000 plus are without juice. It'll be a PITA, but
not as bad as the Ice Storm of '98. Upcountry is
much worse - a number of roads were washed out
by 8"+ of rain. We got just about 3". The Kennebec
River is supposed to crest about 17' above normal
in Augusta this afternoon.

Winds picked up yesterday afternoon. It looks as
if it rained salad with all of the leaves down. I feel
for the farmers - the orchards must've taken a pounding.

-Stretch
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No issues here as I was well prepared with the generator, food, water etc. Parked the Jeeps in the middle of the front yard away from tress. We lost power on Sat. evening and got it back about 7 last night. Did not have to work today as the plant still has no power. :D

Was not so good for my other neighbors. Lots of flood damage. Here's a pic from about 3 miles down the road from me. The creek is normally about 20 feet wide. It grew to a football field.---------Sixgun

There's 2 roads in there somewhere--Its next to the historic Glen Mills, Pa train station.

This tree fell about 5 minutes after I passed by it yesterday. It used to be on my father-in-laws back acreage. Its about 200 yards from my place "as the crow flies". I was cruising around in "Old Yeller" (my 1989 Jeep) went past it, drove a mile and had to stop as there was a smaller tree down and when I made the return trip 5 min. later, this is what I saw. Had to backtrack---had some fun and used a bit of redneck ingenuity to get on a side road to make it home. Stayed there after that. :D

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I just got power restored, after only 30 hours out (8AM Sun) - IMO an outstanding job by crews working non-stop to restore power to the 50% of the National Grid customer reported "out".

My wife & I are long-time campers, so no biggie - especially since we've had a 4.0 KW genny for the last 10yrs, to keep the reefer & freezer on temp.

Everytime somebody local pi$$e$ & moans - I tell them to count their blessings, and be thankful they're not one of the tornade victims in OK, sitting in the middle of their property w/o walls, etc.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What a mess, prayers out to everyone
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pete44ru wrote: My wife & I are long-time campers, so no biggie - especially since we've had a 4.0 KW genny for the last 10yrs, to keep the reefer & freezer on temp.
Everytime somebody local pi$$e$ & moans - I tell them to count their blessings, and be thankful they're not one of the tornade victims in OK, sitting in the middle of their property w/o walls, etc.

Pete,
Your post made me remember about the idiots our education system has fostered. --------WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO COMMON SENSE?????????

Like you, I have always been prepared and always have been. Yesterday, I was so mad I could have ripped off a piece of the moon. ---------While I was enjoying life--with the generator...blah...blah..blah...-------my sister-in-law told my wife about her freezer...blah....blah...blah..... This sister of hers is a great person to which I would give the shirt off my back too....but..................while I was there hooking up my generator for my wife's sister, another "in-law" arrives and says,"wow, cool! can we borrow that???" .

Well, the guy I am says "sure, give Betty 3 hours and I will be over to give you 3 hours". And yes, true to my word, I took over my gen. to their house (only 2 miles away) and hooked her up, all the time eyeing their $40,000 SUV

I never could understand that. I have ALWAYS put survivor priorities first, whether its money, wood, food, whatever, before I indulged in fun things. My dad did also=-----whats wrong with this young generation??---They almost make you feel like your obligued (or however you spell that word) :D to help them!!-----------

Anyway, on another note, the company I work for still does not have electric (GREAT!) so it looks like "bumming time for me"------------------ :D :D Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It does make sense to UG power systems where possible, but in rural areas and in cases of transmission circuits it is very difficult. Maintenance of OH electrical systems is much easier and less intrusive than finding and restoring blown UG cables, especially those that are direct bury. It is very expensive to place conduits and associated switchgear, transformers, and related hardware in the ground and the cost can't in most cases be recovered from rate increases. Restoration of storm damaged electric infrastructure is comparatively fast and directly related to the availability of line crews to get the work done. I did it for over 30 years and was involved in power restoration in several western states after natural disasters. Not to worry, it'll get done as fast as humanly possible without unnecessary risk of life and limb.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pitchy wrote:What a mess, prayers out to everyone
+ 1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Pete44ru wrote:I just got power restored, after only 30 hours out (8AM Sun) - IMO an outstanding job by crews working non-stop to restore power to the 50% of the National Grid customer reported "out".

My wife & I are long-time campers, so no biggie - especially since we've had a 4.0 KW genny for the last 10yrs, to keep the reefer & freezer on temp.

Glad to hear they got you back up and running. :D

Like you I am a long time camper on top of the fact that Uncle Sam likes to send us places with nasty weather so we usually have a stash of basics like battery's, candles, dry goods, oil lamps, and ice chests. Don't have a generator (yet) but we have never suffered to badly we know how to make do. If we know long enough in advance about weather like this we usually put in a decent supply of bottled water and fill the deep freezer with bags of ice.

We had several people complaining about power. I told them to go drive around and see the homes with trees thru them and then tell me if only having no power is that big a deal.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"They're SOOOO cute - when they're little ! "

FWIW, Three (3) different neighbors were agonizing, about downed trees blocking their driveways, and none having a chainsaw, etc, etc, (woe is me).

It took me about 5 minutes, each, to clear their driveways via backing my Ranger P/U as close as I could, throwing a clove hitch around the tree trunk, and the other end of my snatch line to my frame hook, and simply dragged the tree(s) clear. :shock:

aka: K.I.S.S. . :mrgreen: . :mrgreen:

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

been through that before....
a few years back we had 3 major hurricanes in one month....
we had so many branches and trees down, when we were all cleaned up...
we had a 6' high pile of brush the entire length of our road....over a 1/4 of a mile...

hope everything gets back to normal asap
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

My place looks pretty much like the pics, haven't even started clean up, spent most of Sunday and Monday fighting my way down to my Mom's she lives out close to Franklin VA,, had to bribe a road crew to just cut two trees so i could pull them out with the truck,Mom lives on a Marked/Posted / Private drive, so knew it was coming, every time I see the hard woods down I think, wouldn't it be great to have a dryer and a barn torack up the wood for stock blanks, got power back at my place around 2200 Monday, will start clean up end of the week
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Dave glad to hear that you all are good. I have some friends in VA that are still without power. Lots of hard woods down here as well most folks wont have to buy wood for the winter that's for sure.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis