OT kinda: Proper SA revolver grip?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT kinda: Proper SA revolver grip?

Post by 336A »

I'm new to shooting SA revolvers and I'm wondering what is the proper grip to use. Am I supposed to curl my pinky around the bottom of the grip frame, or grip it like I would a DA revolver?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: OT kinda: Proper SA revolver grip?

Post by Griff »

336A wrote:I'm new to shooting SA revolvers and I'm wondering what is the proper grip to use. Am I supposed to curl my pinky around the bottom of the grip frame, or grip it like I would a DA revolver?
Whichever feels comfortable when you shoot and how big the grip is when compared to your hand.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bingo!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There is no right and proper way exactly. It's just how it works for you.

I use two basic holds on mine depending on what I'm doing with them.

Sometimes I use the high hold with all my fingers on the grip and sometimes the pinky under the grip. All depends. Been doing that for oh nigh on to 40 years now.
May not be right, but it works for me.

The only thing is you need to develop your grip(s) so that you are consistent from shot to shot. Single actions are grip sensitive. Also the position of your trigger finger can cause all sorts of problems too. Best to use the pad of the trigger finger and keep the finger from being used as a support for the gun. That's my big problem.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Thanks for the help folks. I'll just mess around with it to see what I like best. J Miller I learned pretty quick about only using the pad of the finger as you explained.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Remember this, the SA is meant to roll in the hand, not push back as with a double action. If you're shooting one-handed, it needs to roll back down into the hand to bring the hammer closer to your thumb. If you shoot two-handed, you can grip it a little tighter and keep the roll to a minimum; but use the "covering" hand to keep the control.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I put my pinky under the grip on my SAA and with my support hand (two handed shooting) thumb I cock the hammer. I have rather small hands and that works for me. I got used to doing this when I was playing CAS. Now SA's with bigger grips than the SAA I don't put my pinky underneath because as stated I have rather small hands and it won't reach.
Old Law Dawg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Try a BISLEY sometime though; you actually get to use ALL your fingers on them, and still can let them 'rock up' with recoil. The difference is that you have more control during aiming, and when recovering your sight picture. In addition, the increased girth of the upper part means your palm absorbs the recoil vs. your knuckles getting rapped by the trigger guard.

Bisley's ROCK...!

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Here is another question for you folks that I've been wondering about too. Is the grip frame of the Ruger BH an exact copy of the Colt SAA? Or does the Ruger grip frame have minor differences from the Colt's dimensions?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

336A wrote:Here is another question for you folks that I've been wondering about too. Is the grip frame of the Ruger BH an exact copy of the Colt SAA? Or does the Ruger grip frame have minor differences from the Colt's dimensions?
Minor differences.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Colt grips are not matched with each other over the years and that is why the hand fitting.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...