Puma 44 Accuracy Problems Revisited

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Puma 44 Accuracy Problems Revisited

Post by tcomer »

A while back, I reported accuracy problems with my Puma. 8" groups or more with no consistancy. General consensus was my .429 plated bullets were too small. So I bought some 200gr RN Oregon Trail Laser Cast in .431 size. Loaded that with 11.2grs of True Blue with a CCI magnum primer. Target was around 25 yards. Here are the results: http://www.pixagogo.com/4750554611 Click on a pic to make it bigger, then click on original at the top to really blow it up. Much better! Trying to learn to use open sights again, so my groups are no where near as good as this bunch can do, but I'm happy with the results. With a little more practice, maybe I'll learn to use those open sights. Thanks for the help.
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Sir , Dang Good!!! :D Mutt
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Good going! Tinker around a little with the load and you might even start to put them in the same hole.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If your piece is new, you might wanna shoot 25 to 30 jacketed rounds thru the piece. Then clean all the jacketed fouling from the bore. That is absolutely squeeky clean. This will burnish any small tooling marks from the bore left during the rifling operation when the bore was made. Follow this with a very tight patch coated with JB bore paste. Clean again till all patches come out clean.

If the piece is pre-owned you will want the bore clean of all jacket fouling & debris before it will accurately shoot lead bullets. If you should shoot jacketed ammo again, you must start with a clean bore again if you return to lead loads.

Now you are ready to shoot lead, your groups should shrink in half. That piece should shoot one hole groups at 25 yards. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I bought the gun used. It seems all the previous owner did was wipe the outside down when he was done. Inside was filthy. And yes, it took a lot of effort to get the copper fouling out. The plated bullets were loads I had on hand for the Smith 629. They shoot great in it. The gun might shoot one hole groups at 25 yards with this new load I have. Just not with me at the trigger. I need a lot of practice.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Nice groups by the way. A new rear sight will help, the stock sight sites are not the greatest. Some shooters install a tang sight on the 92 and they can be very accurate. Marbles & Lyman make them.

When I bought my 92 Rossi in 44-40 used, the previous owner shot moly coated lead bullets in the piece. I thought I would never get the stuff out of the barrel. It took a week of soaking and cleaning to get the barrel clean.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

I'll stick to the stock sights for now on the 44 and the 357 I also have. Makes me think my reloads are better than what they are. Those sights are kinda blocky. Once I get used to them I'll start shooting offhand. Haven't done that in years also. I'm always leaning or laying on something when I use the scoped guns.