I can't even sneak up on my horses, how am I

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

I can't even sneak up on my horses, how am I

Post by hightime »

going to sneek up on the deer? Here at home , I have more deer than anywhere. I set up a stand on the roof of my shed. It's about a 100 yards to some apple trees. My horses are close and I've tried to get into the stand without them noticing. It's impossible. I sware I don't make a sound. I thought I might be able to walk out and get into shooting position while there were deer there. No chance of that. The horse will tip them off.

Owen
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: I can't even sneak up on my horses, how am I

Post by Old Savage »

Just keep doing it and they will begin to ignore it. Maybe :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Get them used to it and they should ignore you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I had the same problems with my dogs.
I have to walk past the dog pen to get to my woods. They would get all excited. After a few days, once they realized I was headed to the woods and not to let them out of the pen, the would sit there quietly and watch.

:D After that I could sit in a tree stand or ground blind, and if I dozed off, the dogs would bark when a deer came up and wake me up :D The dog barking didn't bother the deer once they figured out the dogs were penned and not loose. Didn't take dogs or deer long to adapt to changes.

So, I'd watch the deer come eat my corn, maybe take a picture or two, then let them wander off into the darkness before I made my way back to the house. Any excuse to be in the woods and not in front of the TV or puter is a good excuse.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I like that. Go and watch the deer for a month before shooting at them.

Owen
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am amazed at how alert horses are. Mine spot deer and show me them long before I notice. Same with fox or ground hogs too. During the hunting season, they follow me along the fence line to the far corner as I head off to go hunting. I use the horses for scouting sessions too as deer can't count legs and i'm able to get a real good look at the deer and watch their patterns while walking the horses out of the pastures. I think the others have it right, once the horses are used to being in your stand, they will go about their business and leave you to yours.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have been told that riding a horse to scout is a better way as deer tend to be less suspicious of hoofbeats than the sound of human feet. I do not own a horse, so I cannot verify this from any personal experience. I do know for certain that most wild animals quickly become accustomed to your routine and they learn when you are not a threat. If possible, before the season, get out in the woods often enough to make them used to your presence and they will lose some of their caution.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Owen,

Animals seem to have the ability to sense when we humans are trying to be sneaky. I think they can read minds. That's why deer disappear during hunting season and then 30 seconds after the season ends you're tripping all over them.

Maybe if you walked out and gave the horses a bunch of apples to munch on then just boldly walked to the blind it might work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Good points. As I watch deer at the feeder. They perk up at some noise, or smell. They freeze and stare. Once they identfy the intrusion as harmless, they seem to ignore it from then on. If they can't it's foot punching the ground and a big wheeze and then flags in the air.

Owen
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's a novel idea. Try climbing into the stand an hour before daylight and just wait for the sun to come up.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

"That hoss, he was usin' his eyes and his ears,
I figured right then there was somebody near.
He seemed to be watchin' a bunch of pinyone;
I shore took a hint from that little blue roan.."

Horses been acting as "scouts" for us hoomins just about forever, long as we're paying attention. They may be more aware of everything then the deer.
Deer has his head down grazing you can get away with some movement without him seeing you. Won't work on the horse.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Bribe the horses to keep their mouths shut. Jolly Ranchers keep them occupied for a long time.

I wouldn't have a horse around, that I could sneak up on.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Horses have amazing eyesight. There's been very few times I've been able to sneak very close to my two. And, it doesn't matter what direction I'm walking up on them either.
Old Law Dawg
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Owen, wait until you have favorable winds to carry the smoke coming from the west, should cover your sent well and obscure their vision...
MrJudgeOC
Levergunner

Post by MrJudgeOC »

Shoot the horse.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote:Here's a novel idea. Try climbing into the stand an hour before daylight and just wait for the sun to come up.

That'd be my take on the whole situation !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

makes you wonder sometimes. Why you can't sneak up on a deer in the woods, but when they stand in the middle of the road, you can yell, or blow the horn till you blue in the face, and they still won't move.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

rossim92 wrote:makes you wonder sometimes. Why you can't sneak up on a deer in the woods, but when they stand in the middle of the road, you can yell, or blow the horn till you blue in the face, and they still won't move.
Cars seldom shoot at them!
J Miller wrote:Owen,
Maybe if you walked out and gave the horses a bunch of apples to munch on then just boldly walked to the blind it might work.
Joe
That'd fall under the heading of "Training The Horse to Acknowledge YOUR Presence!" :P

Horses are a herd animal... YOU should be the ALPHA animal in their herd. Survival demands they pay attention when the Alpha is around.
marlinman93 wrote:Here's a novel idea. Try climbing into the stand an hour before daylight and just wait for the sun to come up.
Badda-Bing! Es correcto contestación femenino! :D :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

From the horses I've known, going past them in the dark would make no positive difference. They still have to get used to someone going past them once or twice a day and realize "it's not all about them" so they will let him walk by without reacting.

The deer get used to the noise quickly anyway. They may run off, but will usually circle after the commotion settles down and they haven't seen or heard anything else.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

It's a month and a half before season. It's tough to go out and sit an hour before daylight now, without a gun. I'd like to get those horses to back off now , so I knew I will have a chance later.

Owen
gimdandy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gimdandy »

if you don't want them there throw a flake at the opposite end of pasture and they will be waiting there after 2 sessions feeding and totally ignore you after they are chewing