OT- Bald Eagle neighbors.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Bald Eagle neighbors.

Post by 2ndovc »

We have a pair of Bald Eagles that have made a home in the woods behind our house.

Last year they had three offspring. We know one survived for sure.
They fly over and around the house every day but it so far they've been pretty camera shy.

This morning I spotted them in the field next door just hangin' out. I could get to about 75 yards and they would move away so this is the best picture I could get.

Thought some of you guys would be interested.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Reckon maybe they are hunting mice and rats there around the grain facilities?

The strangest place I ever photographed bald eagles was in a prairie dog town in the Texas panhandle. It was after an October antelope hunt and we were wasting ammo blasting at prairie dogs when we spotted one a hundred yard or so away from us. It seemed more bothered by the gusty wind than by our shooting at dogs. Possibly it was migrating south and just stopped for a rodent snack.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very cool.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is funny when you see a bird out of it's 'stereotypic' habitat; I remember watching from an upstairs window a pair of blue herons stalking for over an hour, slowly walking back and forth on mowed paths through 3-4 ft. tall weeds in a wildlife planting. It appeared grasshoppers and/or mice were their target, but whatever it was, they periodically gupled something down.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Thats cool I have never seen one in the wild.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I travel a certain road in central Fla that some people might know it's called Nova Rd. and stretches from hwy 192 just east of St. Cloud n. to Hwy 520. I always see hogs, deer , bobcats, wild turkeys, and on one occasion a bald eagle.

Oddly enough the eagle was in the middle of the road eating road kill possum. I didn't know they did that. I don't know if it was something out of the usual or what but he was doing it on that day.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Great pic!
We have a large population of sheep where I live so this time of year the bald eagles show up in good numbers. I saw 11 in trees ringing a small pond, all adults. Really cool!

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

That's a fine pic Jason. 8)

Mucus
Last edited by mad mucus on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Very majestic creature but I don't feel quite so fuzzy about them anymore. I watched 40 or 50 of them take turns killing a perfectly healthy antelope. It took two days to complete the job and it sure wasn't pretty. There is a canyon west of me where they winter. On good days they spread out over the prairie like a swarm of locust.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Magnificient birds. We have several in our area. I never get tired of seeing and watching them.
ED
Yer never too old
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

You likely have more than just a pair. We have numerous Bald Eagles near my home that mainly show up in heavy numbers during the winter months. The two birds in your photo are both Males. I am sure each of them have a MRS somewhere nearby as well as an offspring.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

Fantastic.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool! 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl indeed.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Here are some more Eagle pics

Post by win92 »

I have a bait going way up here in the north country. These pics were snapped at the new year when this guy came to visit. Normally the eagles up here will eat fish so travel ( migrate) south as the water freezes if they stay as this one has then they resort to eating carrion or whatever they can find. I'm trying for a Timber Wolf but have to think they have left with the deer as the snow is close to 30 inches in the bush. They will be at the deer yards picking off what ever they can.
Small coyote came in and I couldn't help pulling the trigger. Not all that sporting but effective none the less
randy merta
Levergunner

Post by randy merta »

Its funny that I go to this forum and see a post on Bald Eagles. Today while lounging on the couch watching Daytona race I caught something white go by my window to look up and see a mature Bald Eagle sitting on a limb 30 feet from my house. I called for my wife and daugther to come look. My wife got to see the eagle but my daughter was getting her camera ready when it flew off. Low and behold a second one came swooping through my front yard. They were chasing a huge flock of blackbirds that pile into my trees shortly before moving west to roost in the evenings. I live in Southern Indiana and have seen many eagles while out waterfowling but none a few feet from my front window. They made my familys day. We had small groups[church meetings] every sunday evening at our home and we spoke of the eagles like we were little kids.
Nice pic by the way and sorry I did not get one for all to enjoy.

Randy
win92
Levergunner 2.0

pics added iscrewed up sorry guys

Post by win92 »

sorry I scrImage
ewed up

click on the images for larger size
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Majestic birds indeed. Very nice picture. We had one land out back a couple of years ago. First one I have ever seen in the wild in 53 years.

Old Elmer Keith did not have much respect for eagles. He talked in his books about shooting them on a regular basis.---------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool pic. I've been seeing a lot more eagles around this winter.
Old Law Dawg
1x2
Levergunner

Post by 1x2 »

2ndovc and win92,

Thanks for posting those pics!

win92, it looks cold enough up there...

A couple weeks ago, from the car, I saw, in a field to the right of the car, a baldy perhaps discussing the probability of lunch with a hawk; there was a rodent on the ground between them. The eagle was over twice the hawk's size. Don't know which ended up with that lunch and which had to go hunting...

1x2
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bald Eagles and other rapters are quite common in this neck of the woods......I sometimes forget how lucky I am......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Rusty; I have noticed over the years that predatory birds have begun showing up at recent road kills. Here in IN, I used to never see hawks near the roads. Now I cannot drive anywhere, it seems, without seeing a hawk close to the highway. This seems to be especially true along the expressways.
randy merta; Just curious about where you live. I am from south Indiana, also. The only places I have seen Bald Eagles in south Indiana is at Deam Lake, along the Ohio River, and along the White River near Washington. I have talked with very few other individuals who have seen any Bald Eagles in Indiana. So, again, just curious.

horsesoldier03; I was just curious how one could tell that both of those eagles were male?

Sixgun; Though I remember Elmer writing about shooting eagles (or at least one eagle), I never took that to mean he had no respect for eagles, in general. It has been a while since I read about him shooting an eagle, but it seems he was speaking of (that is, he shot) a golden eagle. Anyway, I just felt the comment made it appear (it implied) Elmer had no respect for Bald Eagles, which is what are being discussed. I do not believe that is correct and, though I have read every article of Elmer's that I have ever found and most of his books, I cannot recall anything that ever implied he "had no respect" for Bald Eagles. I do not believe that his shooting of one kind of an eagle has anything to do with how he viewed the Bald Eagle. If it happens I am incorrect about this I would like to know where to find that information.

Grace and Peace.
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

"horsesoldier03; I was just curious how one could tell that both of those eagles were male? "

I've been wondering about that too. Admittedly i don't know as much about Bald Eagles as I should but I don't know how to tell the difference either.

I started seeing Bald Eagles in our area @ 8 years ago. Was quite a big deal then. Now there is several nesting pair in Erie county. They are an amazing sight and I feel somewhat blessed to have some in my back yard.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Used to see them occasionally growing up in eastern Kansas. Farmers would go out of their way to scare them off, and it wasn't because they might get your chickens, although they might do that too. If the feds found one nesting on your property, you'd be prohibited from planting or disturbing the area around them. I don't remember what the mandatory buffer zone was, but it doesn't take much when you squeezing by on only a 350 acre farm. Most just couldn't afford the luxury of their company. OTOH, it sure is nice to see them now.
Well done is better than well said.
Kilroy6644
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Kilroy6644 »

That's pretty cool seeing eagles in your own back yard. I just saw on the news today that a peregrine falcon was spotted right in downtown Saginaw. They got pretty good footage of it too.
KILROY WAS HERE

"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs."
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Beautiful pic. It is always something special to see a Bald Eagle close up....stirs up the blood of this American every time! Thanks for sharing those. And since they aren't bothered by lead shot, I say we replace each California Condor with a Bald Eagle :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Dakota7
Levergunner

Post by Dakota7 »

Saw four of them today. Feeding on deer carcasses. Winter here is kind of hard on the deer but the eagles like them.
Dakota7