Does anyone fire a .22 Mag lever rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Does anyone fire a .22 Mag lever rifle?

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I have a .44 Mag/.44 Spl lever rifle, and I usually shoot .44 SPecial through it. Prices of ammo are ridiculous. In another thread, I have asked for some advice regarding reloading .44 ammo, but I am also considering getting a rifle that's less expensive to fire. The ultimate, of course, would be a .22LR, but I have a few of those and I will admit that they just do not have enough "bang" for me. I get bored shooting the .22 LR rifles I own, and I'm thinking of getting a .22 Mag. Either a Winchester model 9422 in 22 Mag or a Henry .22 Mag lever rifle.

Questions:
1. How much "bang" is there in firing a .22 Mag? To help answer that question, maybe you can compare it to firing a .22 LR, a .357 Mag lever rifle, and a .30/30 lever rifle.
2. I see bulk ammo at Cabelas for .22 Mag at around 17 cents a round. Is that about right, or can I do even better in price?
3. What's the usual target range for a .22 Mag for target shooting? 50 yards, 100 yards?
4. Anyone have a Henry .22 Mag lever rifle (I prefer the blued steel to the Golden Boy)? How's it function?

Thanks!
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

I have a Henry H001T (.22LR) and I've never fired or handled a .22mag Henry, but I know people that have them, and from what they say, the action on a Henry rifle is equally smooth no matter what caliber you might happen to mention. If you're going to get a Henry rifle, the only thing you need to remember is to get one with an octagon barrel (just in case you decide you want to change your sights).

I'm going to get a Henry 357 in the next month or so - not because I'm bored shooting my Henry .22, but because I simply want a bigger gun. I also want to be able to compete with it in the HLGIC. :)

Side note - I've heard the 9422's are nice (and if you get right down to brass tacks, I'd like to have one), but they're no longer in production, so that means you're gonna spend more than they're worth when you get one.

Of the three guns I own right now, the Henry is the last one I'd sell if I needed the money, and I'd have to REALLY need the money.

That's a beautiful dog, BTW. :)
Aim small, miss small...
---------
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

This is just my opinion but you need to:

1. Reload the .44 and not get the .22 Mag
2. Break down and start reloading.

Look, one has been able to, for most of my reloading time, reload the .44 Mag for less than .22 WRFM cost. Not the .44 Special, the mag, at mag velocities and with bullets suitable for hunting. That might change due to lead cost as the .44 bullet uses 6 times the lead of the .22 bullet. But the .22 WRFM isn't a big bang.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

.22 mag

Post by Hillbilly »

I have never seen the need for the .22 mag. I had a Ruger Single six with the mag cylinder but never used it.

If you reload... and just want to target shoot... dowloading a pistol caliber for a rifle is the ticket. Probably costs less as .22 mag is spendy.

If I really needed a small bore with some clout or other advantage over .22 LR I'd look into a .17 or .204 Ruger
~Jeff
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I never cared for the .22 mag until I bought my 882 Marlin.
It's a lot of fun, and much much more accurate at 100 yards than any of my .22LR guns. What I really want is a Marlin M-1894 .22 Magnum. Alas they is expensive little boogers.
Last edited by Swampman on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have an Ithaca Model 49 in .22 Mag --- power level in penetrating steel is about like a .357 out of a sixgun.

There is no comparison to the .22 Long Rifle. When fired from a long gun the .22 Magnum shines. It is a totally different creature than when fired from a sixgun.

They are more expensive to shoot, however. If you only shoot a few shots now and then that's OK. If you are a shooter it does get pricey.

Hobies advice about reloading is good.
tcomer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tcomer »

Well, I have a Henry H001M 22 mag. Slick little gun. I did put a red dot on it for night time critter duty. You can see it here: http://www.pixagogo.com/9777704129 Click on a pic to make it bigger, click on original at the top to really blow it up. So far, after I've tried different ammo, it prefers the CCI V-Max. It's a fun gun and the wife loves it. It's a little louder than a 22, but nowhere near the noise of my 357, 44 Pumas and my 30-30 Winchesters. That said, I can shoot my 357/44 mag Pumas a tad cheaper with my reloads. I love my Henry. Not a cheap plinker, but it sure is fun.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i will not be without my .22 magnum. i have killed more critters with it than any other caliber i own. unfortunately, many of them were killed illegally, but that is in the past. the .22 magnum is expensive to shoot regularly. i have a single six, 9422m and a marlin bolt action. i love all of them. i have owned several others over the years, but have kept these three. the single six has literally taken hundreds of canines and many cats over the years. i have a lr cylinder, but i don't every use it. the ruger is my predator calling gun. i would suggest you get at least one for you inventory.

that said.

if you are looking for cost reduction, i would say go with hobie. the reloads will be cheaper. and if you cast your own, then the cost will reduce even more. one thing not mentioned is you can download your .44 and have quieter shooting and still lethality due to the momentum of a big heavy bullet.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

My .22 lever guns are all 22 Long Rifle, but a good friend has a Winchester 9422 Magnum, it's a hoot! He manages a cattle ranch in Kansas and carries the 9422 with him all the time. He also runs a trapline and uses it to dispatch trapped bobcats. This 22 Mag has accounted for everything from snapping turtles to coyotes to coons, possums, and a truckload of armadillos.

I've been watching the used gun racks for a reasonably priced 22 Mag lever gun for years ... still looking.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I have a 70s Winchester 9422 Mag. It is deadly accurate with Winchester Supreme 34 grain HPs. The report is louder than a .22 LR but much quiter than a .357 or .44 in a levergun.

For me, the 9422 fills a niche being much more powerful than the .22LR but in a much handier gun than a .347 or .44 Mag. I have all four calibers in leverguns. When I am woodsbumming with a rifle and it isn't big game season, it is the 9422 that goes with me. It is a handy varmint gun par excellence.

As for shooting cost, I don't see why people gripe about it. Sure, compared to .22 LR, it is more expensive. However, try go plinking with your .44 Mag with reloads - that is more expensive than the 17 cents per shot price you quoted. Heck - decent .44 Mag jacketed bullets cost 17 cents or more each these days. Add in powder and primer and the .22 Mag is much cheaper to shoot.

I do plink with my .22 Mag in practice, just like I do with my larger caliber leverguns. I just don't do it as much as with the .22 LR.

By all means, start reloading for your .44 Mag, but don't convince yourself that the .22 Mag in a levergun has no value compared to the .44. You can carry that .22 Mag gun and LOTS of ammo and hardly notice it!
.........THE TWINS..........

Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The .22 Magnum is a dandy cartridge out of a rifle. Kills all out of proportion to its size. I have a .22 magnum 16 inch Winchester 9422M

My Dad has this Henry:
http://www.gunblast.com/CoyoteRifle.htm
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

great article jeff
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

OK, well, I am really giving this a lot of thought. I am probably going to get into reloading .44's, but...

I am thinking of getting another lever rifle anyway. The aim would be for shooting a less-expensive factory loaded round. I am narrowing this down to:
------ Winchester 9422 Magnum
------ Henry lever rifle 22 Magnum
------ Winchester model 94AE in 357/38 with the idea being to fire the .38's for about 25 cents a round, and the occasional 357 magnums.

New questions:
1. How does the "BANG" feel comparing a .22 Magnum with a .38 Special (fired from a 357 lever rifle)?
2. Can one fire .38 +P rounds from a Winchester model 94 lever rifle (in 357/38 caliber)?

The idea would be to put a scope on whichever rifle I wind up getting.
Oh one other important point: I have a lot of interests, so to prevent myself from winding up like one of these big mortgage companies (i.e., needing a Congressional bailout) I have a personal rule which is No New Calibers. That means I need to buy firearms that adhere to one of the following calibers: .22LR, .38 Special, 9 mm, .44 Mag/Spcl, 7.7 JAP, .30/30, .223, 12 GA, 20 GA. So, buying a .22 Magnum would violate my policy even if done for the purpose of saving money. So, I am leaning towards the 357 Winchester model 94 even though firing .38 Specials will cost more than .22 Magnums. Technically the 357 is a "new" caliber for me, but it really is just a lateral caliber change since I can fire 38's from the same firearm.
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I posted a similar question here not long ago only what I was actually interested in was a Ruger 96/22M. Another often overlooked levergun. After finding no horror stories about the gun it's self I've been looking at ammo prices. WOW! Wally World has .22 Mag from $7.67 to $15.00 a box. to me $15 is getting into .357 territory if I'm buying factory stuff.
I do have a Stevens Favorite in .22 Mag. I guess the simple thing to do would be to have it drilled and taped and just put a scope on it. Then shoot it more.

A .38 Specl, from a rifle is a pretty quiet affair. Not much muzzle blast at all. Almost quiet enough to shoot without ear protection, but I do say almost.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Jeff Quinn wrote:The .22 Magnum is a dandy cartridge out of a rifle. Kills all out of proportion to its size. I have a .22 magnum 16 inch Winchester 9422M

My Dad has this Henry:
http://www.gunblast.com/CoyoteRifle.htm
That made me get a little teary eyed thinking about my Dad. I wish he were still around so we could shoot together.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a 9422M and used it at the range, we mostly shot at 200m and that little .22 mag kept surprising the centre fire guys!

Because I can't seem to find a decent 32-20 over here I'm thinking of swopping my CZ .22 Hornet for another 9422M. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I never meant to say that a .22 WRFM isn't worth getting, I've got a couple, but... Your initial post implies a substitute not an addendum. I would never want to stop somebody from getting an ADDITIONAL gun for the experience.

What's this about the "bang". Recoil?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I've only fired one box of 22 mag, and didn't care for it. It had more of a "whoosh" than a bang. I know what you mean about wanting more power, or bang, when you shoot, and shooting 22 lr can be like smoking low-tar cigarettes.

I'm sure the 22 mag is great for varmints and has a very flat trajectory, but if you're just punching paper and want to smell the cordite, I'd go with a .357. Factory ammo is up to 40 cents a round, but the bullets are under a dime, so your total cost would probably be within the 17 cents price you mentioned.

With a 44 you are slinging a lot of lead, and the price of that stuff is going up.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Hobie wrote:I never meant to say that a .22 WRFM isn't worth getting, I've got a couple, but... Your initial post implies a substitute not an addendum. I would never want to stop somebody from getting an ADDITIONAL gun for the experience.
Thanks for your advice, it conveys a lot of wisdom.
I am looking for a rifle/caliber to substitute for the .44 which I want to shoot less due to the ammo prices, although reloading will be something I get into which could allow me to keep firing the .44, too. As it is, I shoot the .44 lever rifle about 2-3 times a month, at about 75 to 125 rounds per session. I need something else that will be less expensive to fire.

The "bang" thing is personal. Means more to me than perhaps it means to many people. Part of the experience of target shooting is building skill, learning to shoot well, and enjoying the progress being made as I work at improving my skills. But part of it (at least for me) is the feeling of the firearm going off (recoil), the sound of the rifle (through my ear protection), the total experience of the activity. Sort of like how there is a difference in the "experience" between racing a bicycle and racing a motorcycle. Both require skill, and the skill and endurance to race a bicycle is not trivial, but it is not the same experience as racing a motorcycle. There's something about the roar of the engine that is not quite there with the bicycle.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

The 22 mag rim-fire is expensive but reloading costs you components plus TIME AND EFFORT I'd rather spend elsewhere.

I much prefer the 357 mag over the 44 mag in the lever-action carbines. Less recoil, less expense.

Every time I think of the 44 mag I decide on the 30-30--which is also the right decision.

As JimT says, out of a rifle the 22 mag RF is a lot more powerful than the 22 LR. I nearly blew a pigeon in to with mine. It shot about 2 feet up in the air and came down stone dead. Got to get another. Mine will be the Winchester model 94/22 and might have a long forestock put on it.

Don McCullough
hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

This just reminds me again that a model '94 22Hornet would be a sweet rifle.

didn't mean to steal a thread,
Hartman
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

a 22 hornet leveraction would be a dream!!!!

the closest i have found is a 218 bee, but they are rare,and brass hard to find.

i have thought seriously about having a .22 hornet built. in fact i am looking for a donor action.
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

If you don't want to increase the number of calibers you own

Post by Tumbleweeds »

I suggest you stay with the .38 special. But I wouldn't recommend the Winchester 94 because there are better choices in shorter actions.

My pick would be a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Competition (CBC) in .38 special. A .357 Marlin will cycle .38s, but the CBC is specifically chambered for that round and is more accurate with .38s than the .357 chamber. An yes, the gun will handle plusP rounds just fine. The CBC has another advantage in that it is a "custom shop" Marlin that has a very slick action and trigger.

Second choice would be a replica Winchester 92 in .357. I had a Puma that cycled .38s just fine.

A .38 won't set you back from under your hat, but it'll come closer than a .22 mag.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sir,
That is a FINE looking dog
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I have a Henry 22mag lever. It is one of my favorite rifles in terms of accuracy and smoothness of operation. I even had Jim T. comment on how smooth the action was at a shoot one time, and the rifle was almost brand new at the time. As far as the bang goes, it's not very impressive and not even comparable to a .357. It's more like a glorified .22 lr. It does the job, however, and is fairly inexpensive to shoot. I haven't bought ammo in a while, but the last time I did, I got it for about 6.50 for a box of 50 rounds. It will kill anything that's legal to hunt with it, and a lot of things that aren't legal to hunt with it, although I've never tried the latter. It sure does a number on a coon.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Scott Young wrote:a 22 hornet leveraction would be a dream!!!!

the closest i have found is a 218 bee, but they are rare,and brass hard to find.

I have said this before, I think RUGER should chamber the Model 96 in .22 hornet. They have the magazines and barrels! it can't be that difficult! :roll:
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

To those who own the Henry 22 Mag, what kind of groups do you get? I must confess I've never looked at but a few Henry rifles. The 22 mag sure looks a ot like the Winchester 9422.
thanks
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:
Hobie wrote:I never meant to say that a .22 WRFM isn't worth getting, I've got a couple, but... Your initial post implies a substitute not an addendum. I would never want to stop somebody from getting an ADDITIONAL gun for the experience.
Thanks for your advice, it conveys a lot of wisdom.
I am looking for a rifle/caliber to substitute for the .44 which I want to shoot less due to the ammo prices, although reloading will be something I get into which could allow me to keep firing the .44, too. As it is, I shoot the .44 lever rifle about 2-3 times a month, at about 75 to 125 rounds per session. I need something else that will be less expensive to fire.

The "bang" thing is personal. Means more to me than perhaps it means to many people. Part of the experience of target shooting is building skill, learning to shoot well, and enjoying the progress being made as I work at improving my skills. But part of it (at least for me) is the feeling of the firearm going off (recoil), the sound of the rifle (through my ear protection), the total experience of the activity. Sort of like how there is a difference in the "experience" between racing a bicycle and racing a motorcycle. Both require skill, and the skill and endurance to race a bicycle is not trivial, but it is not the same experience as racing a motorcycle. There's something about the roar of the engine that is not quite there with the bicycle.
Then I would suggest the .357 Mag and getting started reloading. I don't think the .22 Mag will do it for you at this stage in your shooting life. However, some of us love it just like some boaters prefer sailing (or rowing or paddling) to running fast boats with big motors). It is the quiet application of skill and precision that thrills some more than just making a bang. But it is all good, everyone gets something different from the experience. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

Idahoser wrote:
jsimmons wrote:...Side note - I've heard the 9422's are nice (and if you get right down to brass tacks, I'd like to have one), but they're no longer in production, so that means you're gonna spend more than they're worth when you get one...
Like a Pinned & Recessed Smith & Wesson, I don't believe you will regret owning a 9422, even if you spend "a lot" on it (relatively speaking of course). What it's "worth" is what you're willing to pay for it, I haven't even shot my 9422M yet and I paid $575 for it I think. It was a very near match to the 9422 I already had, which was a XTR before they checkered them, glossy wood... Do I think I paid "more than it's worth"?
Nope. I bet I could get more for it, just hypothetically, since I'm never letting either one go.

Worth is subjective, and these things are "worth" more than a lot of things people pay a lot more to get.
What I meant by that was the people who have one, and when they realize they're no longer in production, they jack the price up and try to sell it simply because it's not in production anymore.

Look on Gunbroker - All but two of the 9422s currently listed are more than $650 and some are approaching $2000 - that's freakin' insane for a .22 lever gun, and THAT is what I mean by "you're gonna spend more than they're worth".
Aim small, miss small...
---------
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

With my Henry at 25 yds. I can put the whole magazine into one hole maybe a little bit bigger than a penny. I've never grouped it on paper any farther than that, but shooting at rabbits, squirrels, and other small game, I hardly ever miss inside of 75 yds. It's a real good shooter, but I don't shoot it near as much as my Marlin .22 lr lever, just for the fact that ammo is so much cheaper, and my Marlin is almost as accurate.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have a Winchester 94/22mag, and it's deadly out to a hundred yards. I don't target shoot with it much, but I have killed a fair amount of stuff with it. It kills a lot better then you would believe at first, compaired to a .22 longrifle.

I have been paying about $9.00 a box of fifty for the the Winchester Hollowpoints. One advantage for me, in this state is that you can hunt coyotes from October through February with a 22mag, but you cannot legally use the .357 unless on your own land or during the main gun deerseasons or bear season. So I like the .22mag even for small game, you just need to aim carefully to advoid too much meat damage, and then when something bigger comes along, you still have a gun in your hands that will probably be adequate and legal for months on end.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

.22magnum

Post by afish4570 »

Got a used Ruger lever Model 96 for $200 in 2004....It has cured so it is time to shoot. I tried to sight it in while sighting my deer rifles in and found I need to shim the base as I ran out of scope adjustments. Couldn't give you much of an evaluation yet. Reason I bought a .22 mag was for coyote hunting in a NY shotgun only county (allows rim fires at night but no centerfires) In a nearby county that is a rifle county using a centerfire day or night is legal.How would a red dot Aim Point type be for day or night coyote hunting??afish4570 [/b]
afish4570
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

What kind of range do you get with a 357 lever rifle? Is this a 50 yard rifle, 100 yard rifle, more, less? With my .44 lever rifle, if I sight in the scope at 50 yards, the bullet drops so much by 100 yards that the bullet hits the dirt ground beneath the target stand, and the drop off is worse with .44 Mag than with .44 Special. (That's been noted by others and explained as the mag bullet travelling so fast that it leaves the muzzle before the muzzle can flip up too much from the shot itself, compared to the slower moving special round which leaves the muzzle after the muzzle has flipped up more, or something like that...) Anyway, with a 357 lever rifle, say a 20 inch barrel, what kind of range would I expect? How about with .38's in the same rifle?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Questions:
1. How much "bang" is there in firing a .22 Mag? To help answer that question, maybe you can compare it to firing a .22 LR, a .357 Mag lever rifle, and a .30/30 lever rifle.
Too me its not close at all to a 357 or 3030 and just a tad more than the 22lr

2. I see bulk ammo at Cabelas for .22 Mag at around 17 cents a round. Is that about right, or can I do even better in price?
Try sportsmanguide.com much better pricing in some cases but
you have to pay shipping....but you have to pay for gas to get to
Cabelas

3. What's the usual target range for a .22 Mag for target shooting? 50 yards, 100 yards?
Keep going......buy a good scope we used to shoot out to 200 at
targets...not at game,

4. Anyone have a Henry .22 Mag lever rifle (I prefer the blued steel to the Golden Boy)? How's it function?
I have shot the 22 mag...Its a nice gun
function great.....but I prefer win 9422m...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if I sight in the scope at 50 yards, the bullet drops so much by 100 yards that the bullet hits the dirt ground beneath the target stand, and the drop off is worse with .44 Mag than with .44 Special
Well, this is the area where you might want your 22 mag. The .357's trajectory (using Remington Ammo) is the exactly the same as the 44's. If you use specials, they will hit the ground just like your 44's. But this varies for every brand or load or bullet.

I'm going with tang sights for my .357's, because I use them for silhouette and plinking and it's easy set the distances. You could learn sight settings for your scope and re-set it, or you could sight in for 75 yards and be close at both 50 and 100.

The .357 will shoot nicely out to 200 meters, after that gravity will really take over and bullet drop is in feet rather than inches. And that is with full power factory type loads. If you use specials, you'll probably be happier limiting it to 100 yards.

Not to muddy the waters, but have you considered .223? It's probably got the best trajectory in the business, not too much noise or kick but more than the 22 mag. If you end up reloading I'm sure cheap bullets would be available. No leverguns in that round but you could get an H&R single shot.

Looks like ammo prices are comparable to .357, more or less:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:What kind of range do you get with a 357 lever rifle? Is this a 50 yard rifle, 100 yard rifle, more, less? With my .44 lever rifle, if I sight in the scope at 50 yards, the bullet drops so much by 100 yards that the bullet hits the dirt ground beneath the target stand, and the drop off is worse with .44 Mag than with .44 Special. (That's been noted by others and explained as the mag bullet travelling so fast that it leaves the muzzle before the muzzle can flip up too much from the shot itself, compared to the slower moving special round which leaves the muzzle after the muzzle has flipped up more, or something like that...) Anyway, with a 357 lever rifle, say a 20 inch barrel, what kind of range would I expect? How about with .38's in the same rifle?
The .44 Mag shoots flatter than the .44 Special. You have not correctly zeroed your rifle OR you haven't stated the problem in a way understandable to me. It is nothing with any of my .44 Mag rifles to be able to hit targets to 150 yards. Ditto the .357 Mag, ditto the .41 Mag (which is scoped), etc...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:What kind of range do you get with a 357 lever rifle? Is this a 50 yard rifle, 100 yard rifle, more, less? ... Anyway, with a 357 lever rifle, say a 20 inch barrel, what kind of range would I expect? How about with .38's in the same rifle?
I'm zeroed at 75yds and took an 8pt buck at 110yds with my .357.

I may try paper at 200, but I don't use optics so that kind of range is pretty much moot except for screaming hordes of Chicoms... (Ditto for my M4gery...)

I've not zeroed with .38s, but I would say it's probably still useful for coyote out to 100yds max.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Batmann
Levergunner

Post by Batmann »

For what's it's worth---Get the Winchester 9422M---If you can find one.
I love mine and it's companion a Winchester Md94 in .30-30. Both have checked walnut and make a nice set.
The .22 Mag is more expensive than a .22 LR, but it, my opinion, a little more versitile. It is cheaper than my .44M to shoot and is a WHOLE LOT OF FUN!
Once you get your lever action .22M, then you will need a Ruger Single Six with the .22M cyl!!!!!!!
It goes on and on-------
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome Batmann.
You nailed with the comment "A WHOLE LOT OF FUN" :wink:
Batmann
Levergunner

Post by Batmann »

Thanks game keeper! This is my first post on the 'new' forum. I have posted some before the change. My password and user name still work.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

High costs of shooting

Post by afish4570 »

Going back to how I evolved in becoming a reloader & shooter (not a hunter)The most noise and recoil per dollar was a 2nd hand .45 cal. Muzzle loader, loaded with a rd. ball 440 dia. and 30 gr. of black powder,3F. I ladle dipped into mold (single cav.Lyman) There was no press or tools other than what I used to cast (my camp stove-gasoline type)Then of course I had my .22. Next step in progression was a RCBS Jr. reloading press and the various tools that I added to get to what I have today.Remember to buy all you can now. The price of components has and will continue to increase faster than you can make money in the stock or commodities market. The $45/1000 9mm ll5 gr. FMJ of 2 yrs. ago are now $75.The bigger the bullet the higher the cost.afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll:
afish4570