Marlin 410

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Marlin 410

Post by Old Savage »

A patient/friend decided to give me this very interesting old Marlin lever action shotgun in appreciation of taking care of him after I expressed some interest in it. It was made between 1929 and 1932. This is the one in the link - mine is in the 10 day wait here and is in better shape than this. The price on the link seems crazy. Very interesting little lever. Has anyone had one or used one? This is the first I knew they existed although I see that Marlin had a recent run of them.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Marlin ... 485CAAE955
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 410

Post by pwl44m »

Why is it in the 10 day wait ? Private Party ?? Unless the Guy just wanted it that way it was unnecessary. Just sayin.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Private party transfer - and he always does it that way. No issue to me really.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I understand, some People just want it that way not fully understanding the Law.
Lookes like it will be a nice Gun. Theres just sumthin about a 410.
Enjoy-- Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I think he wants to be totally out of it on the 4473.

BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

OS those 410's make nice little grouse guns. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looking forward to seeing what it will do. Funny coincidences - got an old girlfriend interested in shooting and talked her through getting her new 10-22 into action and shooting in her back field and the range next to her. She got an opportunity to shoot a 410 and had a ball. SO I started looking into them and asked this collector buddy of mine aforementioned and he offered to give me this one. She is in Indiana so it was a long range operation but she is coming to visit us over in Las Vegas. Funny the way things work out. This one shoots the 2 1/2" shells. I may be on the look out for one of the new ones.

MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Nice little shotgun, I didn't know anything about them.

When I left Calif. in August of 98 I sold a Ruger mini-30 to a friend there. Ran it through the local shop to keep my rear covered.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Very nice present OS. Keep us informed how the gun works and handels.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Wow, you have some generous friends! :mrgreen:

There is a 1930s Marlin .410 for sale over here at £850.00 that's about $1358.00.
Don't worry about the 2 1/2" shells I find they pattern better than the 3" shells.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

game keeper wrote:Wow, you have some generous friends! :mrgreen:

There is a 1930s Marlin .410 for sale over here at £850.00 that's about $1358.00.
Don't worry about the 2 1/2" shells I find they pattern better than the 3" shells.

Much truth in that game keeper (the math & science of shot-string) :wink:

Sweet little number OS 8)
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I have heard that the 1930's Marlin .410's were giveaways from Marlin as a premium for buying a certain number of shares of stock in Marlin.I'm not positive but I seem to remember that the number of shares was like 4.Money was tight tight tight in that period of time and four shares was not much money by today's standards but it was then.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s special. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Stan - that is the story I have read also. I also read that the ones they did not give away they sold for $32 in 1932. It is built on the 1893 action. Operates very smoothly.

Pitchy - no telling what you might do with a lever 410. :)

I will have to check on the 2 1/2' 410 ballistics. I understand from my son that he bought a Taurus Judge. Interesting looking piece. http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm
Last edited by Old Savage on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

GK, I see the high prices - wonder if anyone buys them for that. I would think maybe the ones in pristine condition for collections. KirkD buys old guns to use - hunting etc. He gave me some info here in a PM. I have a buddy who hunted pheasant with a 410 Rem 1100. He did quite well with it. Other than that in my experience the .410 has been mostly a curiosity but my friend in Indiana is sure having a good time with the one she is using. She had an opportunity to shoot quite a few guns one day at a friend's gun shop and range and came away liking that little Mossberg with the pump fore end and the pistol grip. There are a number of videos on youtube with various 410s.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Apparently the .410 crowd can be a well heeled bunch :) http://www.gunsinternational.com/listin ... cat_id=849

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

OS, other than the price of 410 shells its a great caliber, i`ve shot lots of grouse and even a phesant with my Stevens 311 i bought when i was a kid. Wife shot a deer with one using slugs.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My latest .410 is an old Iver Johnson Champion, great little gun and very capable of putting meat on the table as is Shirley's O/U. :wink:

Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Old Savage wrote: . . . This one shoots the 2 1/2" shells. I may be on the look out for one of the new ones.
The new-production Marlin 410s are chambered only for 2 1/2" shells. The Marlin 336 action is too short for 3" shells. Also, as a former owner of a new-production Marlin 410, don't waste your time. The new ones have bulky furniture and handle like a club. Plus, the action is NOWHERE as smooth as that of the 1930s Marlin 410.

If you want a lever 410 chambered in 3", you need to find a Win 94 in 410.

Congrats on the gift, too. The 1930 Marlin 410 has an incredibly smooth action, and the prices are really that stupid high, too.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Noah Zark wrote:
Old Savage wrote: . . . This one shoots the 2 1/2" shells. I may be on the look out for one of the new ones.
The new-production Marlin 410s are chambered only for 2 1/2" shells. The Marlin 336 action is too short for 3" shells. Also, as a former owner of a new-production Marlin 410, don't waste your time. The new ones have bulky furniture and handle like a club. Plus, the action is NOWHERE as smooth as that of the 1930s Marlin 410.

Congrats on the gift, too. The 1930 Marlin 410 has an incredibly smooth action, and the prices are really that stupid high, too.

Noah
There are several things I agree with you on !

Both guns are chambered 2 1/2" , the 1893 version's are priced that high or higher and sell for it , the 336 410 are a little rough to operate .

I did however own one of the 336 410's for awhile and it shot rather nicely on the skeet field ! While I never shot a straight round with one I did shoot several 22 or 23's with the gun . The only reason I never got 25 straight was because of the action being rough as you stated . As all the targets I missed were the second shot on doubles because I couldn't get the action to operate quick enough to get on the second bird alot of times .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Noah Zark wrote:

Noah
Friend I allways understood the Win9410 was 2 1/2" also!!

OS the things I have taken with a 410, pigeons, driven pheasants, ducks, geese, rabbits and squirls, feral dogs and fox's. Crow's and magpies. All with 2 1/2" home loads, 1/2oz English 7s.

Glad for ya :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Nath wrote:
Noah Zark wrote:

Noah

N.
That's correct.
See P12 here: http://media.winchesterguns.com/pdf/om/ ... 0_om_s.pdf

This'll take 3" shells :D

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Stan in SC wrote:I have heard that the 1930's Marlin .410's were giveaways from Marlin as a premium for buying a certain number of shares of stock in Marlin.I'm not positive but I seem to remember that the number of shares was like 4.Money was tight tight tight in that period of time and four shares was not much money by today's standards but it was then.

Stan in SC
Stan- You be the Man!! This is the story on these guns from what I've heard. I have a Navajo friend in AZ who guides on the Reservation and has used his to kill "many" turkeys. I don't know that a .410 is a great turkey gun, but this guy is an awesome hunter--as evidenced by the many huge mule deer he has killed over the years. He usually guides the "high dollar" hunts for elk and bighorn that are auctioned by the tribe. His is a neat little gun (as shown by your photos) and he really seems to like it.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Noah Zark wrote:

Noah
you are so right! the old ones ( i have two of them) have shot gun type barrels - very light weight- makes the gun balance n point like ... well like a shotgun,
have taken a lot of grouse with mine, carries well and looks so neat!

this was a wonderful n very valuabe present! use it often.
cable
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OS,
It just ain't fair----you get the "indentations" AND the nice guns---Ha! :D

I've had my hands on a few of those Marlin 410's---never did own one--but one thing that is written in stone------------------a no finish one will bring $600 any day of the week----but...........I seldom see "no-finish" Marlin 410's which was built on the 1893 action and thats because.................they were given away as incentives for "people with money" who would buy stock in Marlin-----------"people with money" can usually buy their food and most always stuck their newly acquired Marlin 410's in a closet, where the temps were 70 degree's.................so................as with most fine engraved guns, their condition is usually nice. The last one at Targetmaster was $1200 and it sold the first day it was on the shelf. :D -------------'Ya done good OS! :D ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

At a range of 45 to 50 yards I can vouch for the fact that a .410 slug WILL put a deer down if the shot is placed properly.
I believe that in some of the northern USA shotgun only for deer states that a .410 is legal.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Nath wrote:
Noah Zark wrote:

Noah

So did I, until I started paying attention to the 9410s I saw in shops and on show tables. Apparently there were some 9410s in 2.5" and some made in 3". I just saw a 3" 9410 at the Washington Co. Fairgrounds show in PA the last w/e in Sept. It had like a 24" bbl with a full-length mag tube.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Noah Zark wrote:
Nath wrote:
Noah Zark wrote:

Noah

So did I, until I started paying attention to the 9410s I saw in shops and on show tables. Apparently there were some 9410s in 2.5" and some made in 3". I just saw a 3" 9410 at the Washington Co. Fairgrounds show in PA the last w/e in Sept. It had like a 24" bbl with a full-length mag tube.

Noah
I had it that the action would not handle 3" in any kind of shell!
Oh well you learn somert every day!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow, a 3" actioned 94 could be rebarreled to some interesting possibilities!
cable