Short or no throat in your levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Short or no throat in your levergun

Post by foxtrapper »

I read time to time shooters state that their rifle cannot chamber bullets that they want to use due to throating problems. Most suggest to find a bullet that will chamber. Is there a reason folks just don't have the throat lengthened by a gunsmith? It is a fix that I needed done to a marlin 1895 cowboy,it's all good :D So why not the fix ? Expense ,time,affects value? What would you do?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Short or no throat in your levergun

Post by Tycer »

Fixing the throat is the proper remedy. All of your reasons for not doing it are valid. In the cast bullet world, many bullets have been designed for those guns.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fox: I recently bought a Ruger No. 1 in .45-70, and found the throat so short that I cannot chamber cartridges loaded with the Hornady 500 or 350-grain round noses seated to the cannelures. Needless to say, I was stunned. I do intend to have the throat relieved.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Some of the problem stems from the specs for the 45-70. On the drawing there is no throat shown. Especially when foreign manufacturers are involved, they are bound to stick to those specifications. Other than Marlin (which understands 45-70 a bit better than somt others) almost all the 45-70s are foreign made. What's worse, the diameter spec for the 45-70 is .456. I had dealings with some folks that wanted to shoot mono solids in the Pedersoli 45-70 double rifle. They sent slugs and they measured .4555. Definitely don't want a mono 458 down that barrel. For the most part, the foreign manufacturers are getting their act together and producing .458 barrels but some still haven't got the message (or are legally bound by their country's rules) and are still delivering chambers with no throats. Keeps the throating reamer folks in business. As far as Ruger, I don't know what their problem is.
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

I have 3 45cal rifles, 2 Marlins in 45-70 and one bolt gun in .458 WM. I finally bought a throating reamer and cut the throats to my preferences. I paper patch for all so I needed the correct throat with a gentle slope into the rifling. Made all the difference in the world.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

pdawg.shooter wrote:I have 3 45cal rifles, 2 Marlins in 45-70 and one bolt gun in .458 WM. I finally bought a throating reamer and cut the throats to my preferences. I paper patch for all so I needed the correct throat with a gentle slope into the rifling. Made all the difference in the world.
+1

this is what i did. the reamer was not expensive and even i had no trouble doing this job
cable
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

As noted, this is a problem with many lever guns. And re-cutting the throat to a gentle angle is the answer. Fine. Who do I get to do the job? I don't know or know of a gunsmith I would trust to do it right. That is, any gunsmith within a reasonable drive of my home. So then I should send it off. I don't trust my guns to shipping companies unless there is no other option. Not to mention the time I'll have to do without the gun. Do it myself? I'm more than willing, and I'm decent with things mechanical. But where do I get the specific instructions on accomplishing this task? How far should I run the throating reamer into the bore? How do I accurately measure the depth the reamer has traveled? I understand doing a chamber cast to check the existing throat is the place to start. I also understand I need to have a bore diameter pilot. I have searched the web repeatedly and have found very little on this subject of throating. I own a number of Miroku rifles on which I would like to re-cut the throats; three of them are .45-70's. So how to proceed? If anyone can enlighten me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

get the reamer, one that uses a hand attachment; headspace guages from brownells [ or elsewhere ] . take loaded rounds either factory or your own, that meet proper length, etc.
insert reamer, ream a little, try your ammo. do it little more, etc. intermittently check with head space gauge. try your ammo until it fits.
i had to do relatively little reaming on a .44 mag with this problem. on THE 45/70, a friend helped me and we did two of them. same technique, pretty easy. no problems wih the headspace but we checked it just the same. theoretically it shouldnt alter headspace if not done excessively.
worked like a dream. one of the 1886 brownings would not even chamber most factory ammo before the fix. all 3 guns remained sterliing in accuracy as before the fix.
cable
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pm sent to C Red
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Bought a throating reaamer several years ago and did all 5 of my 45-70's.

Don
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Thanks, guys, especially hfcable. I believe I'll give it a whirl.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

good luck! remember if cable can do it anyone can!
cable
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

some 'cutting oil' or other lubricant is used with the reamer, and just periodically clean out the metal shavings. it really seemed pretty easy overall.
cable