A Few Pics From Today's Buffalo Shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

A Few Pics From Today's Buffalo Shoot

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Guys,
I cruised on up to the Hamburg, Pa. Buffalo Shoot for a day of lying, cheatin', shootin' and stealing other people's guns. I am most thankful to our own Cimmaron Red for letting me know this shoot was going on. After all, its his duty to let me know these things because he is 2,000 miles away and I'm only 75 miles away from the match. (yea, its a "get old" thingy)

We call it a buffalo shoot buts its mostly a bunch of fifty/sixty y.o. fanny burbs having fun. We keep score but I have no reason why as no one cares who finished where and we don't ask for the results. :D

Stage #1 is about 40 yards and we shoot at steel chipmunks, chickens and other stupid stuff. I used a 45-90 1886 and missed about half the targets. We also use pistol caliber guns at this stage and I used the Colt Lightning and did OK.

Stage #2 is a running buffalo and we shoot at that with big bore and pistol calibered rifles. I was hot with the Lightning but once again, poor with the big bore--They let me use the Remington-Keene bolt action for s**ts and giggles and what a laugh---trying to work that bolt action on speed and being left handed.

Stage #3 is the long range steel targets from 100-300 yards. I was 17 for 18 on that using the Winchester Hi-Wall in 40-82 off of cross sticks.

I'll start off with a video of me (in red shirt) on the running buffalo with the Colt Lightning. If you notice, in the beginning I drop a full box of 38-40's on the ground and Joe helps me pick them up. Yea, I'm a tart, but....I was 9 for 10 on that one.---------------Sixgun
http://www.youtube.com/user/Levergun4590?blend=5&ob=5

This is Tim and Gary. (a NEW Gary :D ) on stage 1---yea, everyone packs here in Pa--notice Tim's bulge?

Stage #1

Dusty Ed and Jimmy. We go back a few years. Ed is the ramrod at the Mainville gunclub

Dale with his '74 sidehammer Sharps--He can shoot!

This is Gary with his 1875 Sharps. After witnessing how well this rifle shot, well, I decided this is the one I should steal at the end of the day. I got it after Gary put it in his car. Earlier in the day, I told Gary that my name was "Griff" and that I was a trucker from Texas. :D

A crummy picture of the 100-300 yd range. The first set of backboards is 100 yds, then 200, then 300 at the end of the line.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: A Few Pics From Today's Buffalo Shoot

Post by gamekeeper »

Sixgun, you look real comfortable with that Lightning, great day in good company.. :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Sixgun,

Thanks very much for posting. Brought back a lot of memories. Looks like you shot well also. No schuetzen target this year?
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hey Sixgun good shootin, looked like fun by all, only weird thing i saw was that your a lefty. :shock: :lol: but ya shot pretty good anyway.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I like a man with a dry sense of humor. I've got a beer with your name on it at my place ....

8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:Sixgun,

Thanks very much for posting. Brought back a lot of memories. Looks like you shot well also. No schuetzen target this year?
Reds,
Its still fun but it ain't the same. The 300 yard schuetzen is a thing of the past, as is the bigger attendance. Maybe a dozen guys. The youngest guy is Tim and he's about 49 or 50. We were discussing that today and its just a matter of time before its "all over with". The young crowd is all about semi-auto Glocks and AR-15's.

You were also discussed--we dis---cussed you out for movin' out West. :D

And no, I shot terrible, the worst ever. I had a couple of good runs but a couple runs were also in the negative 50%-----------Sixgun

wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

man that looks like fun!!!!!!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Boy! I wish our gun club do stuff like this :| I'm pushing 43 and to me that looks like dang fun!!!

Mainehunter :wink:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Dang Sixgun, that looks like too much fun to be legal. And for sure it has to be cheating to use one of those trombone things to shoot moving targets. Much too easy that way, isn't it?

We shouldn't worry too much about the young guys; I'll bet they are having their buffalo shoots also. They just do it with an iphone app, and they don't have to get off the couch that way.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'm 34, and yes, i shoot a Glock and an AR-15 for more professional purposes.

But I also shoot Lee-Enfields and Mausers for fun that are 60-90 years old.

I rarely just plink like you guys are doing. Not enough money, not enough time. Range time for me is practice, not play.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now - that looks like fun and you guys are high tech there. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Wish I'd been there!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Looks like a lot of fun......but Sixgun, there you go again shooting that gun the wrong way (left). Thought you knew better than that. :mrgreen:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That looks like a blast. While watching the video I kept telling myself, wow, I can't even see him levering that rifle and then it hit me, oh yeah, he said he's shooting a Colt Lightning. :shock:

I know I didn't really get into leverguns until I was a bit older. I had'em, I just wasn't into them like I'am now. I didn't get my first Sharps until I was over 40. So personally, I don't worry about the young'uns. They'll mature. And, as far as I know BPCR and the like was pretty much gone until the movie Quigley stirred the pot.
Old Law Dawg
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hey Sixgun,
Great Story/Pics.

Dude,-------------------You can shoot bro!
Running game don't stand a chance :D :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Earlier in the day, I told Gary that my name was "Griff" and that I was a trucker from Texas. :D
And Gary probably said, "... who do you think you're kiddin', I met Griff at a cowboy shoot, he was a tall, distinguished lookin', polite gentleman from Texas, who drove a really sharp looking truck, not some ratty jeep." :P :lol: :lol: :twisted:
I counted TWO misses on that runnin' buff! Remember... think... front sight, front sight, front sight! :lol: :lol: :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looks like a great time. We need more ranges like that, AND they need to do more 'marketing' to young people.

Too many gun-clubs just assume people will automatically find them, and instead, they need to MARKET themselves to bring in new members. If they don't, the hobby suffers, and in the long run, much of our culture of freedom suffers as well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pitchy wrote:Hey Sixgun good shootin, looked like fun by all, only weird thing i saw was that your a lefty. :shock: :lol: but ya shot pretty good anyway.

Pitchy,
Yes, lefty-----rifle only---I'm semi-blind in my right eye. Handguns and baseball bats come from my right hand. :D -------------Sixgun

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:who do you think you're kiddin', I met Griff at a cowboy shoot, he was a tall, distinguished lookin', polite gentleman from Texas, who drove a really sharp looking truck, not some ratty jeep." :P :lol: :lol: :twisted:
I counted TWO misses on that runnin' buff!
Griff, you left out one description------------good looking! :D Any yes, I've seen pics of your KW. I know trucks and that baby of yours is kept up 100%. You even polish the 100 gallon saddle tanks, keep the exaust stacks covered with shinny stainless, (so I don't burn my arms when I'm handin' you the paperwork :D ) and keep your "in-house" generator in tip top shape during your 12 hour load times, so us Teamsters can take our 60 minute breaks and 3 hour lunches. :D :D :D ------------Sixgun

I tell 'ya, nothin' would make me happier than to see you come on out to Cott Beverage to pick up a load of soda pop at our Concordville, Pa. warehouse. We would have some serious laughs. :D ----------Sixgun

Oh! YOU may have counted 2 misses, but the rangemaster counted one :D

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:I know trucks and that baby of yours is kept up 100%. You even polish the 100 gallon saddle tanks, keep the exaust stacks covered with shinny stainless, (so I don't burn my arms when I'm handin' you the paperwork :D ) and keep your "in-house" generator in tip top shape during your 12 hour load times, so us Teamsters can take our 60 minute breaks and 3 hour lunches. :D :D :D ------------Sixgun
I tell 'ya, nothin' would make me happier than to see you come on out to Cott Beverage to pick up a load of soda pop at our Concordville, Pa. warehouse. We would have some serious laughs. :D ----------Sixgun
Oh! YOU may have counted 2 misses, but the rangemaster counted one :D
Nope, not my truck; yes, it's kept up 100%, but I'm the "anti-chrome", minimal stainless on mine... and the saddle tanks are covered by black plastic!
And a load of soda pop? No, no way, no how! While I know we'd have some serious laughs... the Black Rose don't carry no serious weight like that! I prefer loads like the current one I have... adult diapers... 11,000 lbs, tops! :P :lol: :twisted:

I thought that claim of two misses would get yer goat! Ain't that always it goes? Either the first shot or the last one! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!