PRICE CHECK - Model 1889 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Moondawg
Levergunner

PRICE CHECK - Model 1889 Marlin

Post by Moondawg »

For you experts out there, what would be a ball park value for a Mdl. 1889 Marlin, 20" saddle ring carbine, in 44-40. The gun is complete, appears functionable, stock and foreend dinged and scratched, but not cracked or broken. Blueing is about 50% and the bore is moderately pitted. This doesn't look like a collector piece to me, but with a little TLC might become a shooter. The gun is in a local pawn shop and they are asking $795, I know they will come down from that price, but I don't want to pay more than the gun is probably worth, as a shooter.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: ?? Model 1889 Marlin Value ??

Post by cubrock »

I sold a gun that sounds similar to this one for $700 earlier this year, but it took several weeks to get a buyer. Mine was a rifle, though. I imagine his price is pretty close to top end of market. If you can get him below $700 and it turns out to be a shooter, you'll be pleased.
.........THE TWINS..........

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: PRICE CHECK - Model 1889 Marlin

Post by AJMD429 »

I've been offered $900+ for my great-grandfather's 1889 in .32-20, even though it has a hole in the forend cap (drilled but not tapped, evidently for sling mounting). Condition sounds similar. That gun won't ever be for sale due to the heirloom value, so I've never solicited other offers to see if that one was out of line (it was a guy who seemed to just be a 'collector' wanting that specific model and chambering).

I don't know, but I'd think there could be a difference in value depending on the chambering, as well.

One way to scope out the value would be to look for them on GunsAmerica.com or GunBroker.com - both sites let you search already-sold items, so even with a relatively scarce gun, you may find several 'hits' that help you estimate value.

Of course the BOTTOM line is what the value is to you. . . :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

It depends, I'v seen them cheaper as you described, but it is his gun. :wink: I might throw $600 or a little less at him just to see how he acted, if I had it & if I wanted it. $800 just seems a bit too much, but like I said, it is his gun.
They are neat guns, I'm working on my third, needs a barrel lined, then I'll have a 32/20, a 44/40 & a 38/40.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Check with the people at http://marlin-collectors.com. Regnier may even be able to tell you how many 44-40 1889 SRC's were made. (I'll bet there were fewer than you might think...)
Given my feeling that gun prices nowadays are astounding - or, in some cases , ridiculous - $700 doesn't sound too
bad.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Prices have come way down, on all "shooter" grade rifles, even on somewhat uncommon variations. The market peaked 3-5 years ago. $600 would be in the current market pricing.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I believe the .44-40 is the most common caliber for the 1889, but it still is also the most popular caliber. I agree with jdad, it's more likely a $600-$650 gun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/