Bore Obstructions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Bore Obstructions

Post by getitdone1 »

Read where an Alaskan guide blew the end off of his rifle due to ice in the end of the barrel. He had tape over the end of barrel to prevent rain from entering but said he thought the water got into the gun at the receiver and stopped below this tape and froze.

What about mud daubers building their nests in the bore or a large bug being in there when you fire the gun?

An obstruction in the bore in the forearm area could result in lost fingers or hand--or worse.

I don't often check the bore before shooting a gun that's sat out for a few days--but I should, every time.

If you get a low report when you fire a gun be sure to check bore before shooting it again. One time I forgot to put powder in a 44 mag case and primer had enough power to lodge the bullet in the barrel. If I'd been shooting fast double-action It could have been a very bad experience! Took a steel rod and pounded the bullet out--carefully. S&W model 29, 4" bbl.

Any of you had serious problems with bore obstructions?

Don
JBledsoe
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Bore Obstructions

Post by JBledsoe »

I had a 30-30 Marlin that suddenly became inaccurate. I discovered that the rifle had developed a ring in the barrel since the last range session. I never found the cause but I suspect that a spider had built a nest in the barrel.

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

getitdone1 wrote:I don't often check the bore before shooting a gun that's sat out for a few days--but I should, every time.
I've made it a habit to check before each shooting day. And when I'm in the desert, I check anytime my guns have been sitting for more than a few hours. Wasps take no time to build a nest.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Here in Florida we do have a bug or two. :)

I keep my home defense 12 gauge muzzle down for just that reason. Bore obstructions are bad juju.

Cat
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

I had an incident just a few weeks ago. Shooting a Kimber 1911 with handloads. Got a click when I should've had a bang. I worked the slide and expected to see a round with a bullet in it and just a dead primer. The round bounced off the bench before I could get a look at it and landed in the bushes where I couldn't find it. Now, I KNOW better, but I must have had a brain f*rt, because I butt*U*MEd that it was just a dead primer and didn't look down the bore. Next shot, the gun locks up with the slide half way back, and won't cycle either forward or back. Yep, first round apparently had no powder (out of all the thousands of rounds I've loaded over the years I've never done that before!) & the primer pushed the bullet halfway down. Second round blew both out and ringed the barrel. I called Kimber hoping I could just buy another barrel and drop it in, but they said it had to be fitted, plus they wanted to check the gun out to make sure there was no other damage (which semed prudent). The gun's off there now. An expensive reminder of something I already knew, but got careless about. You can be sure it won't happen again!
Larsen E. Whipsnade
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Larsen E. Whipsnade »

That was supposed to be "assumed" but the automatic sensor put in "butt"!