Leverguns and Harley Davidson.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nobody

Leverguns and Harley Davidson.

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Re: Leverguns and Harley Davidson.

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whoa Bob - that is some combo. If I can ever get Cowboy Tutt back here - he is into both.

Here is Cowboy with his 460 snubby - he likes to shoot it at 100 yds.

Last edited by Old Savage on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Marlin Cowboy 45-70.

Video

77 Shovel.

video
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've got a few lever guns ....

And one Harley ...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice to meet ya Bob, nice rifle and bike and welcome to the best board around.
My bike is a 74, don`t know for sure if its been bored over stock or not as i`ve not had this motor apart.
If i can figure out the mounts i`m going to builda flxi side car for it, i made the axle and linkage with the wheel about ten years ago but never did anything with it.
I`ve always wanted a leaner and this bike would look good with one.

As far as recoil with the CB, it doesn`t kick any more than my Guide gun and less than my browning 1886.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Fave rifle is a pretty basic 1894 30/30 handed down to me by my dad - its the one in the pic with the big loop on it ---- motorcycle of choice is a YZF450 with the "full go package" installed :lol:

EDIT: --- not the type of motorcycle you had in mind, sorry :oops: - dont know how i faded out and forgot you said HARLEY --- but i'll keep the pic in here as i did sell a nice 1200 Sportster to get this :)

----- Doug
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Don`t worry about it streetstar when all us Harley riders get to heaven we`ll all have goldwings. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

No favorites
Early 60s Mountie
9422 and 9422M
1894CL .218 Bee
Win 88 .284
1951 Win 94 30wcf
89 336 30wcf
336 reamed to .358
1894 .44Mag
Win 1895 405
Marlin .444
1895GS Ported
1895 Cowboy
USRAC 1886EL

and 2008 Ultra Classic w/ SE air cleaner, Dobek Fuel Controler, and V&H Monster ovals (none of that Stage One is on in this pic :( but it runs and sounds real good now :) )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:@Pitchy- Call Mike the Service Manager at Old Fort Harley Davidson in Fort Smith Arkansas. Mike had a bike wreck and it took his legs from him. He did not have money to buy a sidecar so he built himself one. I am sure if you talked to him he would be more then happy to let you know what he knows. He comes off gruff at first to some people but in general a good guy.
Heres Old Forts Web Page. Just call the number and sk for Mike the Service Manager.
http://www.oldfortharleydavidson.com/
Thanks, if i need help i`ll call him. I`ve had two other hacks so familiar with them. This will have to be scratch made from the ground up, the bike and car wheel well lean.

Here`s a hack on my 73 shovel from a few years back but still where i`m living now, rode that 73 for 18 years.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

1873 44 WCF B92 44 Mag. Sav 99 E 300 Sav.
1947 HD 45"/750cc Solo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I don't know how to post a picture. I should figure that out one of these days. My favorite leveraction would be my 1894SS. I currently have two motorcycles. One is my favorite and the other is my sentimental choice. My favorite is my 2008 Fatbob. My wife calls it a Fatron. I think she is telling me something but I ain't figured out what. The other is a 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 LTD that we rode away from our wedding 31 years ago. My Fatron has 21,000 miles. My Kawasaki has 102,000. I have rode for 40 years and have owned British, Jap, and H-D's. This past summer I turned over 400,000 lifetime miles and still can't get enough. My lovely bride don't ride much anymore but she packed along for 150,000 miles with me. She's quite a woman and I always say that ain't no guy has the deal I got. A fine woman, guns, and motorcycles. Praise the Lord, I'm am certainly living the American dream.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Savage wrote:Whoa Bob - that is some combo. If I can ever get Cowboy Tutt back here - he is into both.

Here is Cowboy with his 460 snubby - he likes to shoot it at 100 yds.

Hey OS, what range is this?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Angeles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here is my 66 FLH, (much modified but still a 74).

and my 86 in 45-90

M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Favorite rifle is a 55 Marlin 336 30/30.

Bike isnt a Harley, its a Yamaha V-Star, but it gets me around & I'm going to be on it 5 minutes after I hit the submit button on this post!
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Here`s a picture of the axle i made about ten years ago to make a flexi side car from.
If it looks like it`s going to work out i`m going to start a new thread on the build. :)

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How come none of them motor-sickles have a levergun-scabbard on them...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

2006 Fatboy
1873 winnie 32wcf
1894 Marlin 44wcf
39 Marlin 22lr
Spencer 45 schofield

No pics to post will work on that. moodyholler
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I dont know how many pictures I can post at a time, but here are a few. This is a 1964 I had around 1980. Also some levers.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

A 1963 I had.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

A 1969.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Bobthemotorcycle,
Yeah, we really are close together and I'd love to meet up somewhere or just come here and take the tour of my junk. Or, my wife loves AQ chicken. Keep in touch.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

AJMD429 wrote:How come none of them motor-sickles have a levergun-scabbard on them...?

Mine did.

'47 knucklehead, 80 CI, balanced, H grind Andrews cam, S&S super carb, Andrews close ratio trans gears, Phase 3 primary belt drive.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:cry: I miss seeing Pete's Harleys......

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pitchy wrote:Don`t worry about it streetstar when all us Harley riders get to heaven we`ll all have goldwings. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hopefully not too soon ! :lol:
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:@ Streetstar - I am wanting to get a honda 450. Is the YZ any better? What have you heard? Why did you go with a YZ? Is it fuel injected?
Bob - the Honda 450 motorcycle was brand new in 2009 (the previous version dated back to 2003) and had a ton of bugs to be worked out --- and at the time, fuel injection did not offer any real performance benefits over a properly tuned carb (still doesn't - but tuning is done with a laptop instead of needles and jets) ---
-- My suspension tuner's son is a prominent national motocross pro and was using the Honda's and had them a couple of months before the general public got them --- his input was that the Honda really needed a lot of work to get it to perform -- the suspension was way out of whack and the power of the FI motor fell flat at high rpm's (granted - the concerns of a pro with a 2 digit national number are not generally the concerns of mine, but my suspension settings are usually very stiff because i am a bigger guy than the average mx racer, so the problems with the suspension setup i really paid attention to) --

The YZ platform was a couple of years old at the time - so the first year bugs had been worked out of the design --- A recent review of the 2012 CR in a MX oriented publication stated that all the bugs of the '09 model i was referring to have more or less been worked out though

The benefits of a YZ are stability and superior suspension --- the Honda handles better but at the expense of some high speed twitchiness.
I have ridden several examples of both and think its a wash as far as power goes, all the modern motocross oriented 450's have more power than any normal man needs ---

Truth be told, the reason i chose a YZ was because of the strong dirt bike orientation of the dealer i used. Dirt bikes were their number one commodity and they understood the mx oriented customer, plus they always seemed to put money back into the sport at the local race level . In addition to that, they also helped me find a buyer for my Sportster !
None of this would matter if the bike was a frog, but the YZ has very smooth power and the bike is stable --- i have installed a Rekluse clutch (a modified form of an auto clutch) to make it even easier to ride for long periods of time

My bike's an '09 and they came out with a new YZ fuel injected platform in '10 --- the bugs are worked out of it now, so i guess i could upgrade if i wanted to ---
.................... but --- my local dealer was a victim of the recession and lost their Yamaha franchise -- i like the brand but i'm not married to it ---- my next new bike will probably be orange -- KTM has everything anybody else does, plus electric start ! :P Their power has always been first rate, but now they are getting the suspension action and handling up to par with the Japanese brands
Plus the KTM with E-start weighs about as much as the Jap bikes do without -----

you may ask why i'm fixated on E-start for a MX bike? -- well. i'm 40 years old, around 5'10" and the seat height on these new bikes hovers around 38" tall - plus it takes a very healthy boot to get these things lit usually -- i have to use a milk crate to start mine and heaven forbid i kill it on the track and can't find a little hill or bern to lean against (but the auto clutch usually keeps the motor running even when its dumped)
I've always gotten by with a kickstarter for the last 30 years, but its time for me to see how the better half lives!

Bob, my only caution against a motocross bike for anyone over 35 from my own experiences -- my bikes collectively have cost me more time off work, more damaged joints, ribs, , wrists, tendons etc, than anything else --- At my age (not old, but 40 is ancient by MX standards - ) i am seriously waffling back and forth between another new MX bike or a more trail oriented bike that would possibly be street legal as well -- I never thought i would consider throwing in the towel until my last crash approximately 4 weeks ago.

All the manufacturer's make slick dual sport and trail models that are better outfitted than a full on MX bike from 5 years ago -- some of them need a little massaging to make more power (Yamaha's WR and Hondas CRF-X ) but the KTM's are ready to go straight out of the box as long as you can tune the suspension to your weight. Other brands have great bikes like this, like Husaberg (a KTM off-shoot) , Husqvarna even, Beta and GasGas -- even BMW makes a slick trail oriented 450

Kind of like leverguns, all these bikes look similar to a layperson, but it still seems like you need to have at least 3 or 4 of them to cover all the bases if your an enthusiast :lol:

Have fun shopping, and more importantly -- riding! I have a lot of "useless information" about motocross bikes that would probably bore our levergun oriented brethren to tears, but if you want any more input -- send me up a PM and i will try to help :)

One of these days , i will have to jump into the Harley pool again, -- i want a dressed out bagger , -- Warhawk's is a dream machine, -- a Road King would be nice too :D
Last edited by Streetstar on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----- Doug
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Here is my two, 86 browning SRC (aka The Elk Slayer) and 2011 RG

Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Last edited by Nobody on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bobthemotorcycle wrote:@Streetstar- Thanks for the information. I was looking at a 450 Honda to put on a flat track up in Sedalia, Mo and race in the armature levels. I am hoping to find something used and I will go thru the motor and trans and then put on some 19 inch wheel and tires and go flat tracking. I like fuel injected. I like carbs also but FI is better over all if you have good maps and a dyno to map it on. The FI on dirt bikes is easy and does not have many censors to read from like on speed density. Its just very simple. Speed Density is very simple also. Have you heard of anybody making their YZ's a flat track bike. I will have to add it to my list of bikes to look for. Last Yamaha I had was a IT 200 back in the late 80's. It was fast back in the day and I am excited as to how fast the newer 450s are.

I gotta admit, ya got me there Bob ----(regarding flattrack ) --- i haven't been to the flat track races since the mid 80's ---- at the time, i also lived in Arkansas and that was all there was, there was not a MX track within a 200 mile radius . I would have to drive back to Oklahoma to race , but i did try a Suzuki 4 wheeler in a flat track race once. The bikes were all C&J frames with Rotax motors in the most common 600 cc class if i recall

The newer 450's all make between 50-55 horsepower, while an 80's IT200 might have made 30 for comparison's sake --- top speed with motocross gearing is in the 85 mph range, but they can do a lot more if they are geared up, naturally -
----- Doug
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I've had a lot of cycles, but in the last couple years I like to ride to off road location and go exploring. I had five Goldwings one with a Daytona 2+2 convertable sidecar. I also had a decked out Valkyrie. Road riding is suicide arround here with all the deer. Ride long enough and you'll make you wife a widow. I'm not knocking it and often I mis a nice road ride. I can ''live'' without it.

Owen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

hightime wrote:I've had a lot of cycles, but in the last couple years I like to ride to off road location and go exploring. I had five Goldwings one with a Daytona 2+2 convertable sidecar. I also had a decked out Valkyrie. Road riding is suicide arround here with all the deer. Ride long enough and you'll make you wife a widow. I'm not knocking it and often I mis a nice road ride. I can ''live'' without it.

Owen
Are those TW200s?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Yes, they are TW's. They work for me. I smile as I ride them. I can't remember having so much fun on the '' big '' bikes.

Owen
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

My biking days started with 1/3 ownership of an ancient Harley that cost us $15 - in 1940. Now, my 16th bike (which I've become too old to ride :cry: ) is my beloved Beemer - 1977 R100S

Even this is past history -

But, not all is gone -

Last edited by OJ on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

hightime wrote:Yes, they are TW's. They work for me. I smile as I ride them. I can't remember having so much fun on the '' big '' bikes.

Owen
I have a little 125 Zuma, but really thing I need to sell that, and get a used TW. or trade into one.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I have GOT to get some pictures!
I have a few lever guns, my favorite is my Browning 71, I love that gun, my favorite ride my 99 Harley Road King classic with a woody's fairing mounted on her for the tunes :D
Terry
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

GO... Go now and get them pictures!

Owen