Was there a plane crash ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Was there a plane crash ?

Post by Pitchy »

Last night there was a quick news flash about what they thought was a huge plane crash by Phoenix.
They showed a big fire burning and that`s the last ive heard anything about it, has anyone heard any more about it.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Was there a plane crash ?

Post by Pitchy »

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Yes, sadly - right into the northwest wall of the Superstition Mts just to the east of Phoenix. 6 were in a twin engine going from Falcon Field (Mesa) to Safford, Arizona. One found and virtually no chance of others' survival as well. Near-impossible recovery conditions. Team had to be 'coptered to top last night and several hour hike (climb) down to site. I know the area well and have hiked the approaches a lot. My folks lived in the foothills for thirty years just a mile to the south.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

:( thoughts and prayers to all concerned on this sad day for the family's
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Pitchy wrote::( thoughts and prayers to all concerned on this sad day for the family's
+1 :(
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Cars crashing with people getting killed by the hundreds all over the country these past few days and one plane the size of a Chevy crashes and it makes the news. I just don't get it.

Obviously my heart goes out to ALL of those who lose someone over these Holidays. It's very sad.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Cars crashing with people getting killed by the hundreds all over the country these past few days and one plane the size of a Chevy crashes and it makes the news. I just don't get it.
I guess it's kind of like 'gun accidents' - a few thousand kids are killed each year riding their bicycles, but one dead by firearm, and it's national news.

And like you, I agree that (aside from violent criminals, terrorists, etc.) ANY deaths are a tragic thing, whatever the means, and worse the younger the individuals are. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

This was Wed night before Thanksgivng. Very sad. A local captured the burning wreckage on his cell cam, just in time to see the explosion into the night sky.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

A local security cam caught the flash as well--very surreal. Oly, you're right. Guess it's cause it's less common (still too frequent, but...). Local news, already expanded to almost four hours an evening (!?), really glommed onto this like pirhana. In an odd twist, they absolutely "live" for this death stuff. They've gotten pretty bold too, taken to unapologetically interrupting national news and other programming just on a whiff of local child abduction updates, etc, not just initial, truly breaking. But, this one did make national news because of the the nature of the crash into the dramatic setting of those cliffs--and incredible immediate-post shots of the scene, actually beautiful or stunning (photography) if not so tragic.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Having put in my time in WW II in AAF on flying crew and Korean War as an USAF medical officer - plus having carried a commercial pilot's license over half my life - I sure have problems understanding how that happened. It's not like those mountains come up unexpectedly and, at 6:15 PM I would think it would still be light enough for them to be visible - and, if it was described as a visible flash, it seem doubtful weather was a factor - unfortunately leaving pilot error as most likely cause. A real shame but that ranks highest as the cause of "accidents" in general aviation. I suppose high winds from the east might have produced downdrafts but I doubt that would be likely.

I did Class II and III physicals many years though my practice was surgery mostly to accomodate my pilot buddies and do a little "hanger flying" in my office - and we had one of those standard sayings - You can fly in the mountains, at night, and in weather - but avoid any two of those at the same time.

Over the years, I've flown in and out of there many times - day and night - and it never impressed me as being a dangerous situation - Pheonix Sky Harbor was one of the friendliest and easy in - easy out airports in the country. I realize their take-off was Mesa but the visiblilty should be essentially the same there.

As was said, our sympathy sure goes out to the families.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

OJ, I was wondering the same thing. I dont know that area well, but I also am a licensed private pilot. God has protected me over the years many times. I missed the flight I am posting. New years eve jan 1969 a girl friend and I took this flight on a connie. I planned to go again on DC-3 and was set to go and I cancelled out due to some offered OT or I and the GF would be dead! I carried the news article in my wallet for years and would look at it when things got rough!

http://www.donrjordan.com/gambler.html
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`d love to fly a small plane but i`m afraid of it, i understand when our time is up its up but i don`t want to crash and burn.
We had a Helicopter crash a few miles from me the other day also, crashed into a lake in the dark. One passenger a woman swam to shore and called 911 but they couldn`t find the pilot until the next day and he didn`t make it. He owned a new business in a near by town where my son worked for a while.
Don`t know what my point is other than it`s a tough ole world that is trying to kill ya all the time.
I`m ready for the next phase.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Pitchy, I have been in two mishaps. In one three of us totaled a plane but walked away unhurt. This was over 35 years ago. They say when you arent scared to quit flying. Far as smaller single engine planes go, most will stall out at 47 to 55 mph. Even if your engine quits you should be able to keep it from stalling just above a stall with your elevator, (stick or yoke). The higher you are the more options to look for a field. Any wind and if you keep your head and turn into it, you might effectively land at 30 mph or so. If there isnt a ditch, you probley could run your car off the road at that speed, couldnt you? Still, many do get killed as they do in cars. I once had a close friend that was a guard with me. He instructed hellicopters on the side. One day he took a sick day. It didnt go well for him the next day at work when someone brought the LA Times to work with his picture in it. It showed him walking away from his chopper with a student. They had run out of gas over forest lawn and he auto rotated down right in front of a funeral going on! :mrgreen:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`ve wanted to make a simple plane for years but this country has so many trees and my field isn`t big enough for take off. If i lived in the plane states i`d be just crazy enough to give it a go, a old crop duster would be cool but way out of my price range. Maintenance cost would be a big factor but if i could build something to just get off the ground with it would be fun, kind like the wright brothers planes.
I thought about building a wing on skies once and have someone tow me behind a snowmobile on a lake just to get off the ground once.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Booger Bill wrote:Pitchy, I have been in two mishaps. In one three of us totaled a plane but walked away unhurt. This was over 35 years ago. They say when you arent scared to quit flying. Far as smaller single engine planes go, most will stall out at 47 to 55 mph. Even if your engine quits you should be able to keep it from stalling just above a stall with your elevator, (stick or yoke). The higher you are the more options to look for a field. Any wind and if you keep your head and turn into it, you might effectively land at 30 mph or so. If there isnt a ditch, you probley could run your car off the road at that speed, couldnt you? Still, many do get killed as they do in cars. I once had a close friend that was a guard with me. He instructed hellicopters on the side. One day he took a sick day. It didnt go well for him the next day at work when someone brought the LA Times to work with his picture in it. It showed him walking away from his chopper with a student. They had run out of gas over forest lawn and he auto rotated down right in front of a funeral going on! :mrgreen:

One of my fathers coworkers took the day sick once while the Phil Donahue show was in town. Want to guess what the opening scene was?

Said coworkers boat sailing on lake Folsom that day!

Alan Wood
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Click this link for the video -

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/video-foo ... news112911

Here's the latest - I was wrong - it was after dark -

It remains that they still can't invent "safety" equipment that can't be circumvented or ignored - to somehow prevent "pilot error" problems. Sympathy for the Perry family -
Last edited by OJ on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

And now - the very latest update with vidio - click this link -

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/arizona-c ... news120111

Sad -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Guess therre's no interest in this now -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

OJ wrote:Guess therre's no interest in this now -
I am but don`t know much about flying, thanks for the updates and info OJ 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

OJ,

Going through a few of those comments, some were saying that they should have been flying IFR. If I remember, doesn't that require a higher certification to fly IFR? If so that would not be an option for some pilots, right, unless so certified? What else could a pilot do, other than be paying the strictest attention to what is going on in front of them.

I used to fly frequently with a friend who was part owner of a Beachcraft Bonanza. I loved it and if I could I would get licensed, however I could not afford the expense. I don't think I could even afford to rent and fly enough to maintain the skills needed.

I have also made the mistake of watching the "Flying Wild Alaska", I think it is. Got the old interest stirred up again. That Cessna 180 that the airline owner flies is like a flying 4x4.

Kevin, grounded for life