OT - SHARPS??? REBARREL???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

OT - SHARPS??? REBARREL???

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have a Pedersoli Sharp's. The model is called "The Boss". The rifle is just too heavy and long to hunt with. I was going to sell it, but some one suggested that I rebarrel it. The rifle weighs over 13 pounds, and has a 34 inch barrel.

What suggestions does anyone have for rebarreling the rifle to make it more manageable???

Can the barrel I have be recontoured???

Any recommendations as to who could do the work??? Tom.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

My first thought would be to leave it in its original configuration and sell it to purchase another in a weight you are comfortable with. But the weight on yours is too heavy for Silhouette competition, therefore the marketability may be limited.

If the current barrel is round, the re-contour is an option. If it is Octagon then the difficulty and cost goes up.

If you go to a new barrel, Badger and Green Mountain are the two most used in competition with BPRC rifles.

http://www.bpcr.net/

The above website has a very active forum in BPRC rifles and has links to gunsmiths specializing in the field.

Good luck
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You could just cut off about 8" of barrel.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm not certain about your forearm length but you could both reduce length and have it turned to half-round configuration.

ScottT's Big Nose Kate has a 26" barrel but I don't remember off-hand what that barrel measures across the flats.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Personally I like long, fat, heavy barrels so I don't know what your complaining about. :lol:

Seriously, if you are really attached to this particular gun then do some math to see how much the contouring and/or lopping off a few inches from the end will save you.

If it isn't that important, then just sell it and get something you like. Just MHO.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

might contact John Taylor Machine in Washington State....he does all kinds of machine work on barrels....just re-lined a 86 for me....just google him and his site will come up
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

you have a p.m from remshooter
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

BARREL

Post by HEAD0001 »

I understand that the longer the barrel you have, the better the sight radius. But I have done some reading on the Cast Boolit site, and the consensus is that bullets run out of lube when the barrel is over 30 inches. How short could I cut the barrel without loosing performance??? I only shoot the rifle around 1600 fps. I would not have any problem going to 1500 or 1400fps.

Do you guy's think it would look funky if I cut it down to 24 inches.??? I wonder how much weight that would trim off the rifle??? I also like the idea about turning down the barrel past the forearm.

I have thought about selling the rifle. But I believe I would loose too much if I sell it. And I really do not want to sell it, It is the most enjoyable rifle I have. Thanks, Tom.
Abilene
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Abilene »

I don't think it would look funky at all, carbines had 22" barrels, and that is what I'll end up with. Abilene
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

If you do cut it down I want to see some pictures :wink:
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

When I ordered my Shiloh, I had thoughts of carrying it hunting so I tried for a lighter weight. I went with the Saddle Rifle (40-90BN) which has a standard length of 26". I ordered it in a half round half octagon. Mine balances very well but still holds solid and it came out at 9#2oz. If yours is 45 cal, it will be even lighter. You can take a look on the Shiloh website to see what 26" will look like. I'd go that route with the factory barrel or go new 28" full round and make it look like the Business Rifle.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Y'all might not believe this but talking of reducing the outside diamiter and it reminded me of something I just read last week. Now mind you this was on a benchrest forum, but they were saying that removing material from the outside of a barrel after the bore has been finished will increase the dia. of the bore because it relieves stress within the barrel.
This might be something that is only a concern to a benchrest shooter and it may not but at least I thought it was interesting.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Depending on the fore arm length for looks 24" or carbine length would be plenty handy..with a short tang sight..You'd have all the sight radius you'll ever need for hunting..
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rusty wrote:Y'all might not believe this but talking of reducing the outside diamiter and it reminded me of something I just read last week. Now mind you this was on a benchrest forum, but they were saying that removing material from the outside of a barrel after the bore has been finished will increase the dia. of the bore because it relieves stress within the barrel.
This might be something that is only a concern to a benchrest shooter and it may not but at least I thought it was interesting.
That's a very true statement Rusty! Recontouring a barrel after it's been bored will relieve stresses and change the bore. Shortening a barrel wont hurt a thing, other than to lose some velocity, and increase felt recoil.
If this was mine, I'd never take it below 28", as it will look odd with the barrel diameter that the Boss has. The weight savings wont really mean much, as you'll likely still feel it's heavy once you get used to the few pounds of less weight. Even 9-10 lb. guns feel heavy after a whole day of hunting/carrying. I usually take one of my lightweight guns to use for the afternoon hunt, and hunt with one of my old heavy barreled singleshots for the morning hunts. Most the time I shoot something before noon, so it's a moot point.
I personally would leave it alone, but that's just my opinion.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/