A Question for the refrigerator repairmen out there.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

A Question for the refrigerator repairmen out there.

Post by slimster »

I have recently acquired a used refrigerator in excellent condition that cools (and freezes) wonderfully. The only issue I have, (more of a nuisance than anything, really), is that there is water coming into the refrigerator somehow. It is apparently dripping from the left rear of the refrigerator ceiling, (this is a standard freezer on top model), and amonts to about 1/2 to 1 cup of moisture every couple of days. There are no visible cracks in the plastic housing, either refrigerator ceiling or freezer floor, and there is no external water supply for icemaker or chilled water. Like I said, not a major issue, but I would like to stop this if it's a simple fix. Thanks in advance guys! Slim.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A Question for the refrigerator repairmen out there.

Post by Pete44ru »

It sounds like the condensation drain line from the freezer is either plugged & backing the water into the refrig compartment, or has become disconnected, piping the condensed water in directly.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That would really frost me, too. Ice think you could contact a repairman. (sorry :P )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I am no repairman, but what happened on mine and several other people that I know is that the line going from the defroster to wherever the evaporator pan( not a technical term) gets clogged up with . On my fridge, there is a plastic tee on the back about three feet off the ground. That is where mine was clogged with a slimy goo. On my bro in laws it was clogged under a panel in his freezer, he head to dig it out with a wire and I think defrosted the line with a hair dryer
Hope this helps.

Kevin
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by moodyholler »

In the back of the freezer compartment is a drain tube. It drains the melted moisture when freezer goes into defrost cycle. It will be plugged. Get a long pc of copper wire 14g and push it down the drain gently until you feel the obstruction abd then push it on down. Problem cured. Later, moodyholler
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Probably the defrost drain line as already suggested, but here's one other possibility to check. Make sure the fresh food gasket is sealing all the way around.

At least once a week I had a top mount unit come into the shop with a water on the top shelf complaint. Most of the time they looked fine but the top left corner wasn't sealing and you could see a slight gap but you had to be looking for it. What was happening was the renter would do like 99% of the world does: open the door and lean on it slightly while looking or reaching in and out. This would slightly bend the hinge so the door would sit at a slight angle and not let it seal completely.

Normally a poor seal will create moisture throughout the affected section, but I had more than a few that pooled just on the top shelf. I figured it had to do with the particular ambient conditions the unit was subjected to at the time.

If the door seal is fine, it's the defrost drain line/pan area. If it's a Frigidaire (or probably any other Electrolux brand using the Frigidaire design) it might need the redesigned drain chute. They had some (OK, a bunch) get out of the factory with a chute/funnel that was too short and would let water drip onto the shelf.

If our shop hadn't been sold out from under us last week and the techs deemed surplus to the new owners requirements, I'd get the model and serial from you to check but now I can't... :|

If you can't see or find the defrost drain line, drop me a line and I'll see what I can dig up elsewhere.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Good ideas above! (What a great forum!)

But if those don't work...

...You could always send it to Pitchy!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Thanks gentlemen, I think it's fixed! I'll know fer sure in a day or so. Man, this is a great forum full of great people! I knew I could count on y'all.
BlaineG wrote:That would really frost me, too. Ice think you could contact a repairman. (sorry :P )
No need to apologize punmaster Blaine, you'll not get a chilly response to a pun from me! :lol:
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Old No7 wrote:Good ideas above! (What a great forum!)

Old No7
When the compressor gives out, I'll send it to Pitchy and see if he'll turn it into a '32 Ford Coupe for me with a 427 big iron...I'd just about bet he could do it!u :shock: :lol: :lol:
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Old No7 wrote:Good ideas above! (What a great forum!)

Old No7
When the compressor gives out, I'll send it to Pitchy and see if he'll turn it into a '32 Ford Coupe for me with a 427 big iron...I'd just about bet he could do it! :shock: :lol: :lol:
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

On our unit like yours, the Sears repairman said it was mildew forming in the drain line/tube. Pour bleach into the tube & all will be good. He was correct again.

Busa
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Pitchy won't fix it. He'll just make you a new one outta 1949 John Deer tractor parts! :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...