Hell on Wheels tonight!! Woo-Hoo!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Hell on Wheels tonight!! Woo-Hoo!

Post by JohnB »

I have been waiting on this all summer/fall. I hope it does not disappoint.

Is anybody else watching? 10PM EST on AMC...
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Hell on Wheels tonight!! Woo-Hoo!

Post by Topside »

Just looked it up. I'll join ya John if the wife and daughter will surrender the tv.
T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Sure hope it gets a bit better the next few episodes. Really dragged last night. And those BP explosions in the background.......Please!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

rbertalotto wrote:Sure hope it gets a bit better the next few episodes. Really dragged last night. And those BP explosions in the background.......Please!
Well the pilot episode has to lay all the ground work and story lines.

I thought it was okay. I hope it really turns out to be a good series. That way the Mrs. will be wanting to watch also.

We have been watching the old Young Riders series on netflix......she actually likes that series and im hoping this one will be one she likes to watch also.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

A great series was "Centennial"..........I'm going to order the whole series of episodes.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

So far------------------So good!
I like it! :wink:
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Rube Burrows wrote:
rbertalotto wrote:Sure hope it gets a bit better the next few episodes. Really dragged last night. And those BP explosions in the background.......Please!
Well the pilot episode has to lay all the ground work and story lines.

That's the way I think on it, I liked it, I thought it dragged a little some times, but for the most part I thought it was a great show, the only problem I see is it looks like it is going to be kind of like the fugative, I think that was the series, always looking for the guy with one arm, just in this case he will be looking for the sergant who killed his wife.
Terry
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

rbertalotto wrote:A great series was "Centennial"..........I'm going to order the whole series of episodes.
I thought so too when it was on, but my son's father in law has it on VHS, he brought it home so we could watch it, I was dissipointed, a lot of stereo typicle carictures, especialy the black guy with the afro!!
Terry
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

So far so good. I liked the Cheyenne ambush scene. Decent acting so far. Some slow scenes but it's to be expected.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I caught it on Xfinity today because my wife watches 'Desperate House Hoes' on Sunday when it's on here.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Missed this when it first came around. Was impersonating a couch potatoe this am and saw one of the earlier episodes... will be tuning in tonite. Hopefully I ain't missed too much! Enjoyed what I saw tho'.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
grouse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grouse »

I always try to support any new TV western. Start'en to like this one!
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

So far I have seen every episode, and I like it, in fact it just might move into first place as my favorite, but so far I still like Walking dead a little better...just sayin.
Terry
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

So far it seems they are spending very little time on actually building the railroad. Having spent months of my life working around the original 1868 grade in Wyoming, I was interested if they would show period correct actions of how they built the grade and the line. So far I am quite disappointed. Yes it is a decent western with the various character's but I would like them to focus a bit on the actual construction of the railroad grade.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I started to watch it last night, made about 15 minutes and was more impressed with the commercials. What kind of a railroad lays track in the bottom of a revine in a mudbog, and the 2 leading characters fight like 2 girls in kindergarten?
The show basically stinks...
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My opinion watching it for the first time last night is a lot like shrapnels. I just couldnt get into it either.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Well I like it. Its a new western and is entertaining enough. Lots of story lines going on. It has to capture a general audience. In doing so they have to show more than just men building a railroad.
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Booger Bill wrote:My opinion watching it for the first time last night is a lot like shrapnels. I just couldnt get into it either.
And that episode was NOT one of the good ones, I was a little disspointed with that episode also, but I am hoping to nights will be back on track...no pun intended :D
Terry

Edited to add: I don't really thing the focus is on building the railroad but rather the things going on with Bohannan looking for the people who murdered his wife, and the rolling city that acompanies the railroad "Hell on wheels"
TM
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

so far i am not impressed...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

My point remains, if a writer can't pay any more attention to realism on the story than laying track in a mudbog and 2 sissy's pushing and shoving each other, how can they write an accurate western. I wish my dad was still alive, he could have starred in that show, played a real cowboy, kick that walking bosses butt and tell the director and producers how to do a real western...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

It holds promise, but I was disapointed in the gun stuff. I watched some of the "behind the scenes" stuff online, and think they need a new gun consultant. Too many cheap brass framed guns, and the loads sound like they used caps and about 5 or 10 grains for charges, more like toys. They could at least dub in better sound. The gun guy seems bent on using the most odd guns he can come up with for some characters, and not very good ones at that. I think they had 66's also, when they shouldn't have. Henrys aren't hard to find, nor are Spencers or Sharps carbines, all of which were common in that time.

I was astounded that nobody in the survey crew was armed. Most folks were smart enough to go armed on the plains, at least with a pistol in that time, and at least have rifles in camp, even muzzle loaders.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I tried again last night, this show is a stinker. The cast is too modern. The leading man is trying to be portrayed as a hunk on the cover of GQ. (for a real man click on this link http://youtu.be/k_5Uj3WJBM0) The girl is what you want to expect to see in "Friends" or something like that. I have looked through all the old west photo albums I could get my hands on and never have seen a woman look like that in the 1800's. As far as pohunkerdoodle, or whatever his gay name is, the "look through your eyebrows" look he always gives is overdone.

Fat men on a train is stereotyping all the bad guys as fat, lazy and stupid. However stupid they were, I doubt they spent that much time under an umbrella sipping Tennessee sour mash in long stemmed wine glasses. If you notice, even the horses are ashamed to be in this putrid series.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Good grief.

They've run maybe 3 episodes and are still developing characters, storylines, and plots. Let it run for the better part of a season. Should get better.

The show is not a documentary. If you're looking for historical accuracy flip over to the history channel or national geographic.

One thing I've noticed is a leaning toward developing the required predjudice for every every modern subject of political correctness. I'd guess that's the history they're interested in.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

If you notice, even the horses are ashamed to be in this putrid series.
Now that's right funny right thar!

And yes, the show sucks..........Terrible acting, the plot jumps around to annoyance, the cardboard train is rediculous...........It always amazes me that folks will put up millions of dollars for a series like this and then get a bad director and terrible writers.

Every Sunday night I fall asleep it's so boring, and then I watch it on my computer the next day to see what I missed and fall asleep in front of the computer........!!

Lonesome Dove, Centenial........now those are TV western series that could keep my attention.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

rbertalotto wrote:

And yes, the show sucks..........Terrible acting, the plot jumps around to annoyance, the cardboard train is rediculous...........It always amazes me that folks will put up millions of dollars for a series like this and then get a bad director and terrible writers.

Every Sunday night I fall asleep it's so boring, and then I watch it on my computer the next day to see what I missed and fall asleep in front of the computer........!!

Lonesome Dove, Centenial........now those are TV western series that could keep my attention.
Absolutely, and to add to the disappointment, when I saw that Wes Studi was in it, I was anxious to see it. Now, Wes is going to have to win an Academy Award for me to get to where I liked him in his other roles.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thats a neat pic of your dad Shrapnel --- looks like the MArlboro Man except without the ciggy (that pic may have been taken before the Marlboro Man even)
----- Doug
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Streetstar wrote:Thats a neat pic of your dad Shrapnel --- looks like the MArlboro Man except without the ciggy (that pic may have been taken before the Marlboro Man even)
He often used a phrase referring to people who weren't really horsemen..."I've eaten more horses than they ever rode"!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Shrapnel wrote:
rbertalotto wrote:

Absolutely, and to add to the disappointment, when I saw that Wes Studi was in it, I was anxious to see it. Now, Wes is going to have to win an Academy Award for me to get to where I liked him in his other roles.

My only complaint is that the Indians speak too much English. Other than that.....I am happy someone is spending the money to make a WESTERN.

For those who dont like it......heck, turn it over to one of the thousand other DUMB reality shows that plague tv these days.