Preemie calf

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Preemie calf

Post by BigSky56 »

Had a cow go down wed night sometime found her thur morning got her up and put her in the corral last night she went down again couldnt get up or even stand when I lifted her with a sling with the tractor babysat her all night put her down this morning and cut out this little bull calf 52 lbs and doing well by the wood stove tubed him with some colostrum he wasnt due till janurary 18. after sorting out what happened wolves were running the fence line and the whole herd ran to the barn she ran into a alder thicket knocked her down on a slope with snow and ice and she cast against the tree clump with her legs uphill. wolves have been on the mtn the last week and howling at night. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Preemie calf

Post by kimwcook »

Well, hopefully the little guy makes it. Sounds like 24/7 duty w/those big dogs running around. Hope you were able to salvage the cow.
Old Law Dawg
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

well thats to bad bout momma, hope the calf makes it for ya
And those responsible need a dose of the 3 SSS
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I've saved a couple of those premies, but pnuemonia is the biggest threat with them.
Lots of luck and sure hope you get to clean that mtn out of vermin..
Not sure which is worse the wolf our their two legged supporters. :evil:
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Nice c-section Danny! Good luck, I hope that little calf thrives. I am gonna try and shoot a wolf this year hope they come in to my Elk talk meewing.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Yea Kim I got a butcher in he dressed her out and the meat went to a struggling family, Don your right if it wasnt for supporters :x thankfully now I can deal with them legally if I catch them. we knocked down 2 yotes last week they were running on top the hayliage tubes one of them dug into the tube made a mess usually I let the yotes stay until the cows start calving as they catch gophers and mice and if they are around and singing the wolves are elsewhere. The calf is in the shop under a heat lamp and getting milk every 2-3 hrs till I can graft him on another cow that will take him. danny
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Hope he makes it , and it sounds like you've got him as good of a start as you possibly can.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I never had the wolf problem growing up but raised a couple of barn animals in a part of the house to keep them alive until they were strong enough to go back out. Good luck with it.
It is not the critic who counts
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

BigSky56 wrote:Yea Kim I got a butcher in he dressed her out and the meat went to a struggling family
Good on ya, Danny.
Old Law Dawg
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

kimwcook wrote:
BigSky56 wrote:Yea Kim I got a butcher in he dressed her out and the meat went to a struggling family
Good on ya, Danny.
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I gotta say I'm impressed. I was born and raised in the south central part of Los Angeles and this is completely foreign to me. I had a cat that liked to have her litters on my bed, but for the most part of my life, the closest thing I've seen to real farm living and/or livestock was on TV. I was in my early 30s before I realized how sick city living can be. Mebbe a lot of you fellers take this kind of post for granted, as every day life, but I like hearing about it...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Great work Danny. hope he takes to another cow. otherwise, your going to get a might tired.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Danny, as I've said before, you sure "live the life" I hope one day you find time to write a book about it.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Someday I plan on going and sitting down with Danny for a cup. Maybe this coming year things will slow down and I can get some serious time in on my horses. That way I can take'em to Danny's and go riding with him in some of his beautiful country.
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kim you need to do that before they round us up and put us on a reservation or something. danny
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Good Man Danny.
Best of luck with the Calf. I spent a few years on the prairie...Central Nebraska...and know how difficult it can be to save a calf.
Best Wishes.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Little guy Is doing good standing on his own and I dont have to tube him anymore he is nursing from a bottle , his lungs have cleared up no more coughing plus no scours. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Sat May 12, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:!: Yessir that's the battle :) Good job Danny..
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

My grandfather had an orphan calf one summer when we were there to visit. He normally would have put it down, but he did have a nursing bucket and we kids took it on ourselves (with his help) to feed it. It followed us around like a puppy. After we left he kept it up and it was his heel cow - it would follow him everywhere he went on the farm.
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by antilley »

BigSky56 wrote:Yea Kim I got a butcher in he dressed her out and the meat went to a struggling family,

+1
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The lady I refer to as mom thrives on raising calves on a bottle like that. I kid her that she's more protective of those little buggers than their own momma would be. Good luck Danny!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Borregos wrote:
kimwcook wrote:
Good on ya, Danny.
+1
+2
BigSky56 wrote:Little guy Is doing good standing on his own and I dont have to tube him anymore he is nursing from a bottle , his lungs have cleared up no more coughing plus no scours. danny
Excellent, half the battle accomplished. Prayers for his continued good luck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

headaches, heartaches, and backaches.

ahhhh, the life of a rancher. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"