Somewhere Between Lolo and Missoula Montana

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Somewhere Between Lolo and Missoula Montana

Post by Paul105 »

Thought you guys and gals might like this photo. The picture didn't capture the whole herd.

The above picture cropped and enlarged.

Paul
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Fantastic sight, thanks for posting. :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a great picture, but there is some dispute about the location. I got that same picture in an email from a buddy of mine in Idaho and it said the picture was taken just outside of Boise. :?:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I see an awful lot of Cow meat out there...

What's with that fence of bony bits in the way of my lunch? :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

TedH wrote:That's a great picture, but there is some dispute about the location. I got that same picture in an email from a buddy of mine in Idaho and it said the picture was taken just outside of Boise. :?:

I got it in an email from my son, titled as above. Was going to ask him if he knew the source, but never got to it. He's snowmobiling in Idaho until Sunday. I'll ask him if he knows the source when he gets back.

Paul
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

30+ years and 60+ pounds ago, I guided on the upper reaches of Kelly Creek (upper tributary of the Clearwater), just off the Lolo. There were some dang good elk in there. Nothing could live up there in the winter so I guess they had to go somewhere to get something to eat. Lots of great memories of those days. Beautifull but hard country. Read a great little book of some hunters, shortly after the turn of the century, (the earlier one) that went over the Lolo for some late season hunting. They couldn't get back out the way they came so had to go out the bottom, down the Clearwater. Took them a couple months and a few died in the process.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

I lived in Missoula for 15 years and often traveled south to Lolo and I've never seen anything like that...just my guess the picture was taken somewhere else.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

holy........
i need to move
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Now that Henry mentions it, going south out of Missoula to Lolo is a pretty narrow winding valley. I don't recall anything that open either. And from the sun on the mountains, I'd say we're looking south. Hard to do that when the road runs south.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I don't care where that picture was taken. It is a cool picture.

Although unlikely -- HIGHLY UNLIKELY -- it looks just like the Likely Tabels on the East side of U. S. 395 between Likely, CA and my town Alturas, CA.

Regardless, pictures of herds like that are flat out inspiring.
ED
Yer never too old
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I'm not 100% sure but I'm almost positive it's the elk refuge in Jacksonhole, Wyoming. I took several pictures of it when I was there in the winter and it looks an awful lot like this picture. Beautiful place.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I was born and raised around that country and it looks to me like it is the winter range for the RM and Yellowstone heards just outside Jackson Hole, WY.

AHHH, JK, you beat me to it. :D :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I think jkbrea and Dastook got it nailed. Looks like Jackson Hole to me!
:D
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Another reason I believe it's Jacksonhole is that I hunted elk just north of the refuge in November a few years back and had to drive by all those elk that were off limits everyday for a week, so I got a really good look of them.
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

I’ve seen big herds of elk like those pictured in very similar terrain south of Ennis, MT along hwy 287, not far from our cabin.

Dennis.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Weve got a couple wintering areas like that around Oregon too. One near Mist and the other near Elkton. Both in the Coastal range of Oregon.
I always enjoy seeing so many elk in one place. Reminds me that they're still out there in good numbers!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

DennisB, you are lucky to have a place near Ennis. I love that place. Sure would like to retire out there someday.