Back in California

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Back in California

Post by getitdone1 »

About 2050 miles and here I am--again--back in southern California.

Left here in 98' and went back to Indiana to help my elderly parents. They are now gone and--as many of you know--the world will never be the same. A few uncles and aunts also died while I was back there. Things change and sometimes in a big way.

Good to be hooked-up to internet (few minutes ago) and be back with this group.

Now I can go out and shoot just about every day of the year, but it won't be nearly as convenient. May move out Hemet way, then maybe shooting areas will be easier to find. Have a friend out there. In fact he's Dick Proenneke's brother who's now 88 years old. A couple of guys with high character. I've mentioned Dick here before. He built a cabin in the wilds of Alaska and lived there for many years. His friend put his diary notes into a book titled: "One Man's Wilderness." Great book, great pictures of his wilderness area and of him building his very neat cabin.

Good to be back--here, and in southern CA.

Don
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back in California

Post by jeepnik »

Welcome home. Now change the location in your info. It still says Indiana
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear about your folks, Don. That's a big hole in the whole life thing, nobody gets to skip it. Good to hear from you.
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Welcome back and Hemet would be a good choice. Hemet is just a "hop-skip-and-a-jump" from I-10 and then just a short distance to The CA/AZ border. Much better gun laws in AZ and sometimes, much better shooting opportunities.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Could you give us some better idea of where you are?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Good to see ya back. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome Home, We need all the help We can get.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I'm in Orange County, If I can be of assistance.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Welcome back, from the Central coast region. Sorry about your parents, and yes I know the feeling all too well. Lost both of mine in '06, from Eaton, Ohio. Find too many times thinking I can call them about something, then reality hits.. There is no other word for it other than, it sucks.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Old Savage wrote:Could you give us some better idea of where you are?

Old Savage,

I'm in Bellflower. Neat, clean apartment but not so neat area. Only temporary until I find a better place or buy outside the high traffic area. Interesting, out here you can drive down a street and see many low income homes and there in the middle is this very nice, immaculate home. Not my choice of location for a nice home and the owner will not get top dollar when he goes to sell due to the location.

While I think Hemet or the like would be best for the shooter I know the weather there will not be as nice as it is here. Colder winters and hotter summers. 10 degrees difference, I would guess.

Getting here during Xmas shopping time will give you a traffic/driving experience. Driving very defensively is a big must in this location! Especially around the Lakewood Mall, and at this time.

Nice to look out the window and see snow covered mountains. Wonder what the mountain cabins are going for?

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Returned to mention something I think some of you would find interesting.

Back in the 70s I worked on a ranch at Antone, Oregon. Post office there long gone, even then. The owner of the ranch, Clint Harris, had been a classmate of Richard Nixon's at Whittier College, Whittier, CA and owned the Oldsmobile dealership in Whittier. He told me about being at a gala affair at the White House while Nixon was in office. Lots of famous people attended including John Wayne. Quite an experience for him and his wife. Not every day you become friends with a person who was a close friend to the president of the United States. I know Nixon's "exit" was a hard pill for Clint to swallow.

For a guy from a midwest farm that ranch experience was very memorable. Only there one year and then back home to Indiana for a week or so and then settled in southern CA, Jan. 1977. Not many miles from Clint's home in Whittier. After about 12 1/2 years absence, back again.

Don
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I lived in Hemet for six years.I now live in Mission Viejo.There is alot more ground out there
for sure.If you need to know a few spots to go (even for deer) PM me...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don, there are a few guys there from down in that area. I think they can probably update you on the range situation. I don't think you are too far from the Angeles Shooting Range.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm not as familiar w/th Hemet as some other areas, but great club is off the I-15 @ Sierra Road, West End Gun Club. They hold both cowboy silhouette and a bunch of other diciplines. Harold Ipskowitch lives south of Hemet and is big into BPC Sillohuette. You can probably contact him thru the NRA. If you do, tell 'im I said to say "hi."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Glendora and San Dimas area is nice. Not that far from Azusa Canyon where there is a gun range also Prodado (sp?) Dam for shot gun stuff.
when your enemy is within range so are you
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Glad you made it back out West, Don. Here on the left coast I'm sure we're going to need all the help we can get!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

For target practice their is Rainbow Shooting club off the 15 and rainbow blvd exit. $145 a year and you can go 7 days a week including holidays. lots of rednecks there, my kinda people. from hemet about 30 minutes.
g rice
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Lots of good shooting near Bellflower.

my favorite rifle/pistol/shotgun range is Burro Canyon, in San Gabriel Canyon above Azuza. Bring your own target stand and for $10 bucks you can shoot all day.
www.burrocanyon.com

my favorite trap & skeet range is Prado in Chino. $7/round of trap.
(There is a pistol range but it's really expensive. And no real rifle range to speak of).
www.shootprado.com

Cheers,

Carl
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Welcome back, and yes we need all the help we can get. Glad to to see another Levergunner move (back) here. Our family moved back to the Sacramento area, but I shot at Angeles Shooting Range a lot in the '80's. Active place then, and they had a few steel targets out to about 500 yards or some such. I haven't shot at the other ranges mentioned here.

So Cal has some good ranges, good beaches, and good food. Some good shopping, including gun stuff if you look around a bit. The "city" areas have too much traffic and too many thugs loose on the streets for me. We still have lots of good places to live though, with good people.

Some of our best motorcycle rides were up the Angeles Highway (old stagecoach trail) in the "winter"; stopping for a meal at an old 3 log cabin place along the way. Their liquor license was from back when - at $90 a year and good for 9 months of the year. This place used both the fireplace and a wood stove, with melted snow seeping in under the back porch door. A good day trip, even in a car.

Again, welcome back. Merry Christmas too.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

new pig hunter wrote:Lots of good shooting near Bellflower.
Carl
I still have family (foster care) that live in that area... and ranges weren't foremost in my mind when I read this! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Get internet hook-up and next day my video chip goes by-by so 5 days in the shop. During this time been re-visiting some of my favorite spots along the ocean. Redondo Beach and Palos Verde Estates. Beautiful homes, beautiful ocean-beach scenery. I need a fatter pocketbook!

Yesterday went down to Ocean Blvd. and then up on the top of Signal Hill. Quite a view from up there. Lots of oil came out of that hill.

Wonderful state, great weather in the southern part but the traffic--around Xmas time especially and the Lakewood Mall--leaves a lot to be desired! My view of the mountains to the north is pretty good from my apartment but notice that often the smog--I guess--keeps me from seeing them. With all this traffic, there oughta be smog.

Stepped out of my truck yesterday between Ocean Blvd. and the ocean. Oh that ocean air is the best smelling air I've ever experienced. I remember that from when I lived here 12 1/2 years ago. I've thought about finding a fisherman and offering my free labor for a week or so out on the ocean. Would be an interesting experience.

Curious about Catalina Island. One time home of the Wrigley chewing gum family and famous western novel author Zane Grey. I've been there a couple of times but didn't really give it enough time or go on some of the back roads. Believe I recall some gun writer writing about hunting there.

A guy suggested using http://www.redfin.com for house hunting and from what I can see of that site it looks very good.

Thanks for the welcome. Interesting days ahead.

P.S.

One internet source says might be 85 degrees on Jan. 1. Not hard to take at all. :D

Came back to add: After leaving this post I went to www.redfin.com. Clicked on Los Angeles area and then I'm offered the chance to see the most expensive homes there. First page I find one home going for 125,000,000.00 and 3 others for about 55 million. Might have to go back to Indiana for a little more money. Just a little. :lol:

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Among your old locations can you identify this site? Hint - a parking ticket is $52 :)

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I lived in Hemet for 12 years and still work there going on 26 years. It has changed a lot. Not as family friendly as it used to be. Snow birds still come but not like they used to. If you find a place you may move to, PM me and I'll let you know if its a good area as far as crime/gang. There are are few ranges not too far away and some public land just east of town you can use free. Welcome back.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Old Savage,

No, I can't identify that spot. Where are you located?

Jkbrea,

Thanks for your welcome and offer to help with my choice of location. I have a friend in Hemet who has a nice little home--and get this--his "grass" is small rock painted/stained? green. He's a very particular, neat guy. He has a work shop, unattached, that I believe would make a home for my farm tractor should I decide to move it out here. I posted a picture of it here not long ago. Big toy I don't intend to sell for peanuts to the Indiana boys. Too much time, money and effort involved. One of those toys you wish you'd never gotten involved with but that's hindsight. I'm sure my friend in Hemet can be of considerable help. Phoned him a couple of times since arriving in CA. He's 88 yrs old and wants me to help him get started with his first computer he bought recently. He's going to find out there's a lot more interesting things computer/internet related than he now realizes. By the way he's owned 3 airplanes and flew to Alaska to visit his brother a couple of times.

The home prices out here anywhere close to the ocean are plain NUTS! Some going for around 700,000 and I wouldn't want them for 50,000. Unbelievable! The Hemet area is a whole different world and some fine homes out there for a price you'd pay back in Indiana. Many, many million dollar homes and most I wouldn't want even if I could afford them. The pictures of houses (exterior & interior) on the internet can tell you a lot. Not the whole story but I can tell very quickly if I'm interested. Neatness, or lack of, is readily noticeable.

With the economy so screwed-up I'm not even sure I'm going to buy. It'll have to be a lot of house for the money and without any doubt whatever.

Took a look at homes on Catalina Island--Avalon, that is. One at 300,000 and the rest 500,000 and up. Kiss that thought goodby. Believe there's also several other negatives to living there.

Came back to add: Using redfin.com to look at expensive (way above my limit) homes. Just for the fun of it. Came across this 18,000 sq. ft. mansion in Palo Verde Estates area. Asking price of $9,999,999.00. Tennis court, pool, two bowling lanes, ocean view, 5 car garage, 7 bedrooms and 8.5 baths. So many of these homes are just a pleasure to see even though you could never afford them.

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That was from the Hermosa Beach Pier.

Don, just get the one in Palos Verdes. It is a long way but we can see up a range in the bowling alleys. :D

getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Old Savage wrote:That was from the Hermosa Beach Pier.

Don, just get the one in Palos Verdes. It is a long way but we can see up a range in the bowling alleys. :D
Old Savage,

I'll have the bowling alleys 'extended' and we'll make good use of the bowling pins. High speed electric car to and from targets and two guys constantly reloading what we shoot. Maybe three if your trigger finger is real itchy.

Don
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Super idea! :D

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

There is a number of california`s. I lived and worked there 1960, again 1965 to 2005. The rest of the states love giveing california bad press. Some of it`s not deserved. I shot/bought/and played with guns plenty while there. Now I do hear it`s a lot worse.
We just got back from spending a week with stepdaughter and family at lake elsinore. Daughter is a high paid top exectitive for a company everyone heard of and use`s in orange county. We hit the malls with her, drove 30 miles to eat at fancy swinging places she took us to etc. She is the epitone of what some people think of california girls. 6ft 2"s, blond and liberal. Than after leaveing her, we got down to earth, stopped at norco in a horse ranch area ate at a old ma & pa resturant that had only old rednecks in it (wasp`s). From there to old savages area and then from there to the end of the trail at mohave. The dark haired sister that is 180 degrees opposite in every way possible lives at the end of the trail there. Belive me, there is two differant california`s, and many in between! It`s a big state with many different types of communitys and people.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What is the Ma and Pa restaurant in Norco?

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Some womans name that I dont recall. I noticed there were feed and tack stores nearby, and all kinds of horse boarding signs in the resturant. Just got off the freeway to eat. Think it was a half mile east off 15, north side of street. Traffic was murder! The new freeway cutoff sure killed what was left of mojave, didnt it? We spent dec 27 th in lancaster. Theresa`s folks live near quartz hill. We left lancaster and moved here to cedar city utah feb of 2005. I was a lockheed guard 1965 to 2000. Moved to palmdale-lancaster in 1969.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Booger Bill,

You stated a lot of truths about California.

It IS a big state with all kinds of terrain and lifestyles and wonderful things to see and do. All kinds of people--just like any other state--so you can't badmouth California as a whole without stepping on a lot of genuinely good people. I presently and temporarily live a short distance from Orange county. Orange county is said to be the most politically conservative county in the United States. John Wayne, a very famous conservative, is buried there and was and is highly respected by most of the people there. They named their airport after him. Just finished reading articles about him and his friend, famous movie director John Houston. I don't mean to be talking politics here, just saying there's lots of pro-gun people (liberals too) in California but they are greatly outnumbered.

I read some really interesting things about agriculture in CA. It's the biggest producing agricultural state, in terms of dollars, in the country--for over 50 years-- with several foods grown only here. Produces about half of the fruits, nuts and vegetables in the country. No state produces the great variety of foods grown in California.

Then there's the beautiful ocean scenery, Yosemite, the huge Redwood and Sequoia trees-- but-- especially the great weather! I have read that San Diego has the best weather in the country. Of course the L.A. area is not far north and also has great year-round weather. What's it worth to be able to go outside and do things in nice weather--most of the days of the year? Quite a lot, in my opinion. Of course this great weather pertains more to southern CA and that's one of the big reasons there's so many people in southern CA. Job availability too--well.....used to be but this is a real problem all over the country and I really don't know how we're going to get back on track with so many things being made outside the country. Asked an employee in a Lowes store recently what percentage of things in the store were made in China and he said over 90%. Wow! Where are we heading?

All the states are good states, including California.

Don
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

getitdone, now you've done it. Been right in my neighborhood and we didn't meet up. Next time you head out to PV, give me a shout. We'll have a cup or two.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I spent about 45 of my 70+ years in california. While popular opinion claims most people there are liberal, greenies, democrats, gays and atheiests, movie stars, illegals, welfare bilkers etc, you couldnt prove it by me. Water seeks it`s own level. All my friends and people I associated with didnt fit in any of the above. Of course you would see some. You do everywhere else too. Los angeles and san francisco out vote rural california. There is a LOT of rural california!
I found out daughter and son in law pay over $8,000s property tax for their digs!! I couldnt afford to live in that house if they gave it to me! Then they have to drive a hour to work each way on the coast for two hours out of their day. Then they have to pay child care. For some time the daughter was paying alimony to her sorry ex! (He is so broken hearted he cant work). The guy used to make a mint, is sharp and knows how to bilk the system and lives with mommy and daddy in a gated community!
For many years in california you could get rich just by buying any house and hanging on a few years and tripleing the price. Sell it, do it all over again on a higher level. Those days are over---for now. Now you have a few rich people and a few working class people with good jobs supporting what seems to be about 2/3 rds of the rest of the people, many the dregs of society!
I go and sit on a bench at walmart often when the wife shops and for entertainment, profile. To me, it looks about like one out of seven or so, might have a real job! Scores of kids with tats, pants hanging to their knees, pearcings, purple hair, mohawks etc. Look at their baskets and maybe one item out of four is something they probley really need. I am fat myself, but it looks to be half are morbidly obese and couldnt physicaly work and many more are built like a weed and you can pretty well guess they are on meth etc. Seems most people are into 4 kids and looks like they cant support themselves! This country is in trouble!
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

jeepnik,

Thanks for the invitation. Try to remember and let you know when I'm head'in your way. I know there's some unstable ground in that area or is it only on the south, Rancho Palo Verde side? The area fascinates me, much more than the other even more expensive areas.

Don
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Booger Bill,

I'm about your age. Too old to make a big mistake with a home buy. Low can sometimes go a lot lower. I'd survive it but sure don't want to experience it.

An extra 10 degrees high and low in the Hemet area--or the like--is looking better all the time. After first looking at homes only a few miles from the ocean and then looking at homes in the Hemet area--I was very impressed with the values in the Hemet area. So much difference! I'm guessing when home prices dropped they dropped a lot more in the outlying areas than any location close to the ocean.

Don
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

getitdone1 wrote:jeepnik,

Thanks for the invitation. Try to remember and let you know when I'm head'in your way. I know there's some unstable ground in that area or is it only on the south, Rancho Palo Verde side? The area fascinates me, much more than the other even more expensive areas.

Don
The south side of the peninsula has been unstable since it came out of the sea. Problem is folks don't seem to have figured that out yet. They still seemed surprised when part of a cliff face falls in the ocean.

A science teacher in high school put it this way. "The penninsula is a great big chunk of steap sided rock with mud on top." It's been sliding for eons and will continue to slide until all the "mud" is in the ocean.

I'm, I hope, far enough from the slide area that I don't have to worry, but it's thinking like this that gets folks into trouble.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

jeepnik wrote:
getitdone1 wrote:jeepnik,

Don
The south side of the peninsula has been unstable since it came out of the sea. Problem is folks don't seem to have figured that out yet. They still seemed surprised when part of a cliff face falls in the ocean.

A science teacher in high school put it this way. "The penninsula is a great big chunk of steap sided rock with mud on top." It's been sliding for eons and will continue to slide until all the "mud" is in the ocean.

I'm, I hope, far enough from the slide area that I don't have to worry, but it's thinking like this that gets folks into trouble.
jeepnik,

Maybe there's a pattern, over the years, to those slides. Every 50 years here and in another 50 years its over there, etc. It might be good to see if you're in the "pattern area."

Don