Home Defense scenario

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Home Defense scenario

Post by cowboykell »

I think the door on my house can be locked, I just don't remember ever seeing the key.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Now Doc. :lol:

I got the solution, dig a deep pit 6 feet long by 3 feet wide beside the bed and cover with a trap door. Install a motion detector so when the intruder is on it it releases the latch, poof he`s gone.
Oh of course what ya put at the bottom of the pit is up to the individual. :evil:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

My uncle use to say, "a big toothy dog sure keeps the gas thieves away". The fact he was known to encourage thier departure with his 303 helped keep them away as well. He came from the generation of Canadians that would have to mail a letter to get a Mountie to show up.

I've always thought if I wake up and a crazy guy is in my room we are both about to have the fight of our lives. There was a time that would have been a serious happening for the bad guy. Age changes things, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

I have young children and gun accidents kill children. Access must be restricted and loaded guns must be contained. Plus we have very restrictive laws about gun storage up here. It causes serious problems. Currently I have good locks, motion lights, grated windows, and practice good security but I realize it is lacking with my current health situation. I have a tactical ash baton cleverly disguised as a Louisville Slugger. I installed a wrist strap if there is time to use it.

Aways a bad idea to take a weapon to a fight and lose it to the other guy!

I kinda like Pitchy's last idea. I might lean to the heavy overhead object rather than the pit. I always liked those old silent movies were the piano or bank safe came crashing down!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

My 85 lb Golden Retriever is the second line of defense after the door locks. I never thought he'd be a good watchdog, but he sounds like he is going to kill something every time someone is outside our house. It doesn't matter if it's a car pulling up, someone ringing the doorbell, or just a noise outside. My brother lives in New Mexico, but was here to visit a while back. My dog would not let him in the house one night when he tried to come in late. I don't know if he would actually attack someone or not, but he sure sounds like he would. I've been thinking of getting a Rottweiler. I hear they don't bark much. They will let someone in the house, but not let them out. Don't know if that's true or not, but Ruger, my Golden, does enough barking.

After the dog I've got a pistol on the nightstand and a short barreled 12 ga. under the bed. That and I have the will to live. I'd like to think that I want to see my wife tomorrow more than the bad guy wants to take my life or my stuff. I'm not one to talk a lot before I act. There will just be as swift and violent an action as I can possibly muster, because I want to see my family tomorrow, and don't care whether someone invading my home sees theirs or not.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by antilley »

I would imagine my first line of defense will be the flying CPAP machine that I launch when i forget it is still connected .... followed by me falling down trying to step over my sleeping lab .... This wakes up the wife who is upset and hollering at me for waking her up ... followed by my dog jumping to a conclusion that we might have a situation that requires effort.....

By then I hope i can get to my Mossy ...but, with out my glasses the dude has a reasonable chance of getting out alive.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

antilley wrote:I would imagine my first line of defense will be the flying CPAP machine that I launch when i forget it is still connected .... followed by me falling down trying to step over my sleeping lab .... This wakes up the wife who is upset and hollering at me for waking her up ... followed by my dog jumping to a conclusion that we might have a situation that requires effort.....

By then I hope i can get to my Mossy ...but, with out my glasses the dude has a reasonable chance of getting out alive.

:lol:
It's probably some of us that think we got it covered that probably we don't.
Who knows how things work out??
Might just be the bad guy trips over that sweet lab falls hits his head on the corner of your foot board(dead)and you wake to your pooch licking his colorless cold face! :lol: :shock:

:?: how it all plays out??
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

shooter wrote:My 85 lb Golden Retriever is the second line of defense after the door locks. I never thought he'd be a good watchdog, but he sounds like he is going to kill something every time someone is outside our house. It doesn't matter if it's a car pulling up, someone ringing the doorbell, or just a noise outside. My brother lives in New Mexico, but was here to visit a while back. My dog would not let him in the house one night when he tried to come in late. I don't know if he would actually attack someone or not, but he sure sounds like he would. I've been thinking of getting a Rottweiler. I hear they don't bark much. They will let someone in the house, but not let them out. Don't know if that's true or not, but Ruger, my Golden, does enough barking.

After the dog I've got a pistol on the nightstand and a short barreled 12 ga. under the bed. That and I have the will to live. I'd like to think that I want to see my wife tomorrow more than the bad guy wants to take my life or my stuff. I'm not one to talk a lot before I act. There will just be as swift and violent an action as I can possibly muster, because I want to see my family tomorrow, and don't care whether someone invading my home sees theirs or not.

Rottweilers don't bark till they get close, at least the two I had. They have a low growl that crescendos as they approach and isthe scariest sound I've heard (except a grizzly mama roaring in the buckbrush 20 feet away), sorta like a train approaching. When they get close they would bark. Gotta German sheppard now, lord will he bark, abit too much at times. You gotta have a dog or two around to sleep soundly in my opinion.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

As others have noted, the key is layers of defence. Having something handy that enables you to get to something bigger/better/badder if need be. Make the home univiting to potential trouble-makers, then develop the layers from there. Incorporate novel defence tools where or if needed. Chopping pumpkins with my kids each Halloween is not only fun, but helps develop a skill for defence if need be, if you know what I mean! :D