FA Single Actions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

FA Single Actions

Post by El Mac »

I'm confused. Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't an FA Single Action revolver have a transfer bar? If so, then why do they recommend loading with only 4 instead of 5?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

The best explanation I ever saw was written by John Taffin, in at least one article and in his great book, _Single Action Sixguns_. I don't recall the details, but the internal safety system on the FA 83s is indeed not conducive to safe carry with the chamber under the hammer loaded. Better than an SAA, but not truly safe. Once upon a time, I looked at an 83, and agree, but that was so long ago I don't remember how it works. The newer FA 97s do have a transfer bar that works automatically.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

IN MY NEVER HUMBLE OPINION A TRANSFER BAR IS NEVER A REASON NOT TO PUT AN EMPTY CHAMBER UNDER A SINGLE ACTION SIXGUN'S HAMMER. GOD REST HIS SOUL, I DO NOT GIVE A darn ABOUT W. B. RUGER'S CLAIMS THAT IT WAS SAFE TO DO SO.
I DO KNOW THIS FOR AN ABSOLUTE FACT : IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD NO SINGLE ACTION HAS INADVERTENTLY GONE BANG WHEN THERE WAS AN EMPTY CHAMBER UNDER THE HAMMER.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Sound wisdom Mr. Murbach. 1886.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

The FA83 doesn't have a transfer bar as such, but rather a hammer block. It is a slender piece of steel which rides up the face of the hammer and interjects itself between the hammer and the receiver if the trigger has not been pulled..

And there is only one thing I can think of which would cause me to keep a loaded round under the hammer...and that is if I was just standing on the bank of a salmon river in Grizzly country.

Ed
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My brother lived literally across the street from the Kenai River. He said at times you could almost walk across the backs of salmon. I just make it a rule I don't stand on the bank of a river streaming with salmon. First, it's not fun fighting people for recreation and second, I just don't want to experience a brown bear charging me.
Old Law Dawg
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ed, doesn't the FA safety system also work only when the cylinder is rotated in between chambers? Help me out here, I can't find the words.

-Tutt
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

No Tutt, the system works at all positions on the '83. I don't remember the '97 system, perhaps you are thinking of that one.

Ed
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

...as confused as ever.

While I like the look and quality of a FA, I just don't like the sound of a "four shooter". I'm not big on making a 6 shooter into a 5 shooter either, but its a bit more reasonable.

Maybe its just me...
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks Ed, I wasn't sure, but thought I had read something along those lines. El Mac, Jim T. and others have carried their FA fully loaded with the safety on for years and never had any problems. Perhaps when in serious bear country, carry all five, but other than that, 4 will get the job done.

However, a custom Ruger 5 shot with the transfer bar system that can carry all 5 does sound pretty good.

Then I remember what it was like to cycle the action of the FA while at the SHOT SHOW. Wow. I could have done that all day.

-Tutt
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

CowboyTutt wrote:However, a custom Ruger 5 shot with the transfer bar system that can carry all 5 does sound pretty good.
-Tutt
The more I think about it, I tend to agree. I think a Bowen or something along those lines would be in order. And I'm betting he'd turn out an action every bit as good as the FA.

Still, one wonders why FA didn't just go the transfer bar route. They do make a beautiful gun.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

The Modle 97 has a transfer bar that works just like all transfer bars. The Model 83 has a sliding block that goes between the hammer and the frame.

To activate it the hammer is pulled about 1/8" or a bit more to the rear, just lifting it off the receiver, and then lowered into place. (EDIT) When the hammer is pulled back just a bit you release the trigger and then lower the hammer. That activates the bar. (EDIT) It's easy to tell when it's in place.

It cannot fire when the lock is in place. You could whack the hammer with a 4 pound hammer and it would not go off.

BUT .. unless you practice with it and become familiar with it .. I mean TOTALLY .. it is possible to THINK you put that block in place and actually not have it. Some have done so.

The worst part is, they blamed others for their ignorance.

I have used and carried a Freedom Arms since 1986. I have never had an ND with one. I have always been very careful to activate the hammer block.

Freedom Arms HAS to recommend only carrying 4 because of users stupidity and ignorance. As soon as they would say "Yes it's safe to carry all 5 chambers loaded" some idiot would to that, not active the bar, and shoot himself or someone else .. and then sue the company.

The Freedom Arms is the finest single action produced in a factory. Yet people still manage to screw up with them.

Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

When the bar is activated it slides all the way to the top of the groove.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Freedom Arms was successfully sued recently. Partially successful, the judge awarded a settlement in which the plaintiff had to pay half (because of stupidity) and FA had to pay the other half. I don't recall the amount.
Old Law Dawg
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

kimwcook wrote:Freedom Arms was successfully sued recently. Partially successful, the judge awarded a settlement in which the plaintiff had to pay half (because of stupidity) and FA had to pay the other half. I don't recall the amount.
Yes .. there was some confusion among jury members if I remember correctly, about transfer bars and such.

I am constantly amazed at how we reward stupidity in this country.

Somehow that seems to go against darwin who is worshipped by such a large portion of people.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Thank you Jim. So just to make sure, I am seeing in your pics what is the Model 83, correct?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

El Mac wrote:Thank you Jim. So just to make sure, I am seeing in your pics what is the Model 83, correct?
Yes Sir
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

both of my Freedom arm Premiers have transfer bar systems. The .22 recommends leaving the hammer on an empty chamber, the .45 does not.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot