Savage 99E

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Savage 99E

Post by coydog »

Stopped by a local pawn shop today and they had a 99E with the saftey on the lever.I dont know much about these but always wanted one. It was in 308 blueing was worn and the stock had been cut off some and had a bad refinishing job done on it plus somebody had installed studs that were way off. They had 275.00 on it and said 225.00 was as low as they could go. I didnt get it but was tempted. Does 225.00 sound bad? I would have to replace the stock.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage 99E

Post by 86er »

I'm not a fan of the lever safety models (I prefer the tang safety) but you could get a stock for $99 or maybe fix up that one for less. If your total working rifle price is $325 that is pretty good for a 99 in 308 Win.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

In this day and age, any time you can get a reasonably decent 99 of any sort for for $225 is the time to buy.
You'd do well not to let it get away from you.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I side right in with 86er and airdaleman, buy it! You can figure out a way to extend the LOP to fit you and still look OK.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

AT $225 plus a stock and ???? it might be a good deal. If this is the earlier 99E and not the later one, better deal.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

It would have to be a thorough dog inside and out for me to walk away at that price.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Coydog what state are you in. There's one up here in north central Mn that sounds just like it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

airedaleman wrote:In this day and age, any time you can get a reasonably decent 99 of any sort for for $225 is the time to buy. You'd do well not to let it get away from you.
Yep. As long as the action and barrel are reasonable, re-stocking it wouldn't be that big a deal.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Get it...Sounds like a perfect candidate for a kick pad and a little stock refinish.. You could wind up with a LOP that will fit you just right...and you'd have a great no frills no worry hunting rifle.... Most of those E models come tapped for scope mounts too...Collectors don't much care for the E unless of course they found one NIB..
The later E model 99s were the less expensive E-conomy model...Easily identified by the omission of the round counter window found on the forward left side of the receiver...The E came along in .308 after Savage came out with their tang safety models ... But the basic old school meat and potatoes quality is still there.. The Es were made from the same forgings as always and on the same equipment the same way the previous 99s were before the tang safety models were introduced... But on the E model mainly Savage left off the round counter window and gave them birch stocks to save costs and continued with the time proven lever safety...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

I went back and got it. the first four of the serial numbers are 1027
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Look on the lever boss that lever attaches to for a small letter stamped in it... The letters correspond to year of manufacture...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

First four of ? Numbers. May I suggest you go to Savage99.com. Lots of info and links. The serial number lookup is a bit weird but that is also due to the way Savage released the numbers during production. The letter code is difficult to read on some guns, use a magnifier it will help.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

12M is on the lever boss.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

M = 1961 The 12 maybe the inspectors ID...or possibly the month..Just a guess..
WIL TERRY
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

The numbers are not month nor date as they are anywhere from 1 to 99. Likely inspection marks.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

Walks with gun im in Alabama. I check that pawn shop pretty often. Last year i picked up a nice Frontier scout in there and they will deal with you pretty good.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I'm with those that think you ought to inspect it and if those are the only issues buy it!
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

mail.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

The stock was not cut off its just got the wrong buttplate on it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BUY IT!
Throw a slip on Limbsaver over it and use it the way she be!
See how she shoots and go from there.
Gun has character.
Last edited by madman4570 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Bubba has his hand on the gun but wood is replaceable.
coydog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by coydog »

Yea no joke but if it shoots good i can refinish the wood and fix her back up.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

do not buy...

Send phone number and location to me. I will make sure it's disposed of properly.

Chad
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Heck of a gun for two and a quarter...

Use it as is, and keep your eye out for new furniture. Good luck and enjoy it. 99's are something special!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

You did real good. I prefer the "E" over the others simply because it doesn't have that gimmicky hole in the side of it to let dust and dirt in (I never look to see how many cartridges are left in it anyway - after I shoot, I top it off). And once you get used to the safety at the lever you will find it very handy. It is where the safety originally was and is, in my opinion, the best place for it on a 99. Have fun with that gun - it's a shooter and needs to be shot - a lot.

Oh, and BTW, that hardwood stock (is beech I think) is a very good stable stock and one I wouldn't replace. I've owned numerous 99s and like the blonde hardwood stocks the best. And since it's blonde, you can color it whatever color you want from deep walnut brown, to camo, or Army green if you want - or just leave it blonde. Did I mention, you done real good. :mrgreen: