What are your New Year's Resolutions that are gun related?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

What are your New Year's Resolutions that are gun related?

Post by win7094M1 »

I'll start with three:
Shoot the Springfield Armory .38 Super I bought over a year ago and have not fired it yet,
Spend some quality time with my Win. 94 and Garand,
Find a decent .22 levergun.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: What are your New Year's Resolutions that are gun related?

Post by AJMD429 »

I was gonna say my resolution is "to buy a gun sometime this year", since I know that's a resolution I can KEEP... :lol:

Probably I just need to do some reloading and spend some range-time relaxing with a kid or two, maybe teach some new shooters...

P.S. - judging from your sig-line, your "decent .22LR levergun" looks like it about has to be a Winchester 94/22, or otherwise I'd recommend a Ruger 96 or a Henry... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Buy and extremely rare gun.
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Hmmm..never considered a Ruger 96..might work since I already have a 10/22...Thanks for the suggestion.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Clean up bench, organize all the stuff so I can find it. I swear, my house looks like a bomb went off in Midway USA :oops: :oops: I have no idea what I have anymore. Bags and boxes of everything all over. :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

BlaineG wrote:Clean up bench, organize all the stuff so I can find it. I swear, my house looks like a bomb went off in Midway USA :oops: :oops: I have no idea what I have anymore. Bags and boxes of everything all over. :oops: :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

#1 Get that 10-in-a-row on turkeys that I need to complete my Grand Slam in NRA Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge Silhouette shooting.

#2 Fire one more Master score in NRA Cowboy Lever Action Smallbore Silhouette so I can advance to Master Class.

update 1-8-12- I got that final Master score today!!

#3 Try NRA Smallbore Hunting Rifle Silhouette

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

I've resolved to keep my legally permitted concealed handgun on me much more often than I have been doing in the past.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

shoot more
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

After years of hoarding used wheel weights and scrap lead, I'm fixing to start casting my own boolits. :)
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

Shoot more, miss less.

8)

Rob
NRA
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Find a Savage 99 and get it!! :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Spend time with wife/daughter and her boyfriend shooting as much as possible.
Also buy the wife her own Kel-Tec SU16C to go along with her own Kel-Tec Sub2K(.40S&W)she got for her anniversary. :D :oops: :wink: Boy she looks cute holding a Sub-Gun.
And both get off our butts and go through the hoops and get our NYS CCW (my pal's Pa gun shop can't hold them forever?)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Just one: Let NO gun go unmolested ! . ;) . :mrgreen:

(Chester the Gun Molester) . :roll:

walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I'm going to stop drooling over guns I really don't need. Really I am.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

This last elk season I came across some woodland caribou tracks in the Yaak close to the border this summer I want to try and see one. danny
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

1) Become a certified Hunter Education Instructor for CA Fish & Game.
2) Get my CCW.
3) Purchase a SSA clone in .45 Colt...or a Ruger Blackhawk.
4) Purchase a Marlin 39 or Win 9422.
5) Purchase a pre-64' Win 94, preferably a long-barreled 30-30.
6) Purchase a Beretta 92FS or M9.
7) Figure out where to get the money for 3 - 6.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Seeing that TPTB have thourougly indoctrinated the public to vote for the media approved DuhR candidates, none of whom are really pro RKBA, I resolved to get a non-lever bottom feeder.

Due to a small inheritance I got a portion of I was able to do this immediately and picked up aUS made HK91 clone ( http://www.ptr91.com )

It ain't a G3 (select fire), but it handles like one... like the one I shot a lot of with the Bundeswher in FRG... and it's not gas operated... so I can use cast bullets. :twisted:

Molon Labe'
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Shoot a lot more, write threads less, learn to cast and tuneup my existing rifles.

Find a range to join.

Build a decent gun/reloading bench. I currently share the kid's craft table.

The Lee Enfield No5 Mk1 work up with a 174 CBE lead bullet.

The 444 needs a new front sight and a lead load worked up.

The 92 Winchester needs a receiver sight D&Ted or a tang installed and a lead load worked up.

Scrub the 10-22 squeaky clean and install a 2.5X Leupold Ultralite. Its my old 444 scope.

Sight in my 94 Winchester with some Imperial Kling Kore Soft Point ammo

Shoot my flint lock enough to get proficient with patched balls with midrange power to 50 paces.

That covers me until 2015!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Make more ammo for my two Rossi leverguns, make some trial 159grn Hornady SP for my son's Model 70 '06 to find the sweet spot, set up a CMP application in case he decides he wants to buy a Special Grade M1 Garand so he doesn't have to shoot his Correct Grade HRA, and be ready to to shooting with him when he gets any free time. The outings with my kids are so precious that I feel as I get older, I can't afford to miss even one. My resolution with my daughter isn't firearm related but just as important to me. My wife and I might be spending more time on travel and doing fun things; just being together.

Not to get sappy but a friend and his wife were in an accident 2 days ago and he didn't make it and his wife is in really bad shape. I only heard about it today. I haven't told my wife yet because she's already upset about one of her girlfriend's finding out she has stomach cancer this morning and she need's time for that to sink in. All of it has really set me back on my heals and I feel that my perception of 'the time I've got to do things with my family' has changed dramatically.

Sorry for veering off the OP's thread but I just needed to tell someone.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have eight or nine older Marlin 444's I wanna get blooded in 2012, as well as a Marlin 336-44 and my circa 1972 Marlin 1895 45-70 !

I blooded no less then nine old model 444's this season so far and still have a day remaining !

If I can get thru these in the semi near future perhaps I can get the Ruger #1's finished as well as my cherry Browning B-78 25-06 !

Also wanna take my circa 1835-1845 A.B.Smith western Pennsylvania half stock 36 cal out and pot a couple squirrels for a REAL BRUNSWICK VIRGINIA STEW :wink:

Pop a deer with my old circa 1910 Parker GH damascus 16 gauge and my handloaded #1 Buck load .

And finally one that I've been contemplating for a couple years now . Take the 6.5mm Arisaka my maternal grandfather brought back from the Philippines in 1946 and get a decent handload worked up for it ! Already have dies , cases and loads of projectiles !
Be kinda cool somewhere down the road to let a Virgina whitetail meet it's demise from that old gun . I am quite sure it hasn't been fired since 1961 as I never remmember my grandfather ever mention shooting it excpet when he originally got home from the war !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

First, Steve sorry to hear that about your friend. Pray she pulls through okay.

I've only got a couple of shooting goals this coming year. Get some BP loads worked up for my Shiloh. And, get various sight settings I need to shoot my Marlin CB in pistol cartridge leveraction silhouette so I can go shoot with Wind and Whit Spurzon and not embarass anybody. Especially me. :D
Old Law Dawg
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Canuck Bob, et al: re. building a suitable reloading bench in 2012. Below is a link to a .pdf file (Adobe) for plans to build a bench designed by the National Reloading Manufacturer’s Association.

See:
http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/do ... _plans.pdf

It is very stout and can be made to any bsize necessary. I built one several years ago and made a design change. Instead of a drop down center door for the beam scale, I utilized sliding doors as on the other two center doors. To hold the beam scale and for ease of reading the pointer, I made an eye level pull-out shelf. With the scale pointer at eye level, I found the pointer easier to read and less tiring from moving my head up and down.

Of course, it you load with a digital scale, this design change may not be applicable.

The sliding doors are a good design as you can open close the doors during those rare occurrences when the bench is cluttered :lol: :lol: :lol: ....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I didn't really make any gun related resolutions, but I do have some goals:
Clean up and re-organize my reloading room.
Get a few Lever rifles sighted in that need it.
Get some loads worked up for a couple of custom flintlocks I had build a couple of years ago.
And maybe get a table at a gunshow again and sell a few guns I don't really use or need, and maybe buy a really nice side by side of higher grade then the ones I have, Either a high grade Elsey, or Fox, maybe a Parker or Merkel, not that I really need another side by side, but it does seem like I have been shooting skeet and clays and pheasant hunting more then other types of hunting the last couple of years, so my side by sides get more action then any of my other guns.

OH! and I need to make a decision on a Browning Superlite Feather over and under, I bought used last year. I am not much of an over and under guy, but decided to give them a try, and want to either sell this one, or get some work done on it. I feel like it needs a recoil pad and a mid bead installed, and maybe change the front bead out to ivory. The main trouble is I have been shooting side by sides for so long, that I don't pickup the narrower profile of the single barrel when shooting fast. Most people consider the over and under better, but you couldn't prove it by me.
NRA Life Member, Patron
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lastmohecken wrote: OH! and I need to make a decision on a Browning Superlite Feather over and under, I bought used last year. I am not much of an over and under guy, but decided to give them a try, and want to either sell this one, or get some work done on it. I feel like it needs a recoil pad and a mid bead installed, and maybe change the front bead out to ivory. The main trouble is I have been shooting side by sides for so long, that I don't pickup the narrower profile of the single barrel when shooting fast. Most people consider the over and under better, but you couldn't prove it by me.
I can switch at will !

This year for the opening day of dove season I carried my W.C.Scott 10 gauge SxS and a Browning 20 gauge Superposed !

If you're a fellow that likes Smith's , Fox's and Parker's and you wanna keep one O/U give some thought to selling your Citori and getting a nice old Browning Superposed O/U :wink:

We have three at the moment , The aforementioned 20 gauge as well as a 12 gauge skeet and a 12 gauge Magnum . Without getting into the British O/U's the only thing in my mind better then the Superposed is a Krieghoff K-32 or K-80 !
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Mount a scope on the 94 BigBore .356 WCF. :twisted: . Yeah, I know, but the old eyes ain't getting any stronger :cry:
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

6pt-sika wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote: OH! and I need to make a decision on a Browning Superlite Feather over and under, I bought used last year. I am not much of an over and under guy, but decided to give them a try, and want to either sell this one, or get some work done on it. I feel like it needs a recoil pad and a mid bead installed, and maybe change the front bead out to ivory. The main trouble is I have been shooting side by sides for so long, that I don't pickup the narrower profile of the single barrel when shooting fast. Most people consider the over and under better, but you couldn't prove it by me.
I can switch at will !

This year for the opening day of dove season I carried my W.C.Scott 10 gauge SxS and a Browning 20 gauge Superposed !

If you're a fellow that likes Smith's , Fox's and Parker's and you wanna keep one O/U give some thought to selling your Citori and getting a nice old Browning Superposed O/U :wink:

We have three at the moment , The aforementioned 20 gauge as well as a 12 gauge skeet and a 12 gauge Magnum . Without getting into the British O/U's the only thing in my mind better then the Superposed is a Krieghoff K-32 or K-80 !
Yep, I like the older Superposed, in fact I was tempted recently by one, but it was just a little too rough for the asking price, otherwise I might have ended up with it.
NRA Life Member, Patron
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Spend more time with my family shooting.
Continue to improve as a rifleman.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Lastmohecken wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
I can switch at will !

Yep, I like the older Superposed, in fact I was tempted recently by one, but it was just a little too rough for the asking price, otherwise I might have ended up with it.
I'd kinda like another Superposed in a 20 gauge skeet as well as 28 and 410 skeets :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Shoot more; reload more; finish the paperwork to get a suppressor. Oh, and of course, buy a few more guns! :D
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

1) Work on longer range accuracy with my levers. I'd like to be confident with a shot out to 200 yds at least. Right now I keep my shots within 100. Works pretty well for TX, but when I go hunting muleys in NM, the shots can get a little further.

2) Tighten up all my groups on my guns with iron sights, which is all but 2 of my guns. I shot a lot more in 2010 than I did in 2011, and it showed.

3) Try to acquire a Ruger SR1911

4) Get my garage remodeled and organize my loading bench and shooting gear like I've been needing to for the past 2 years.

5) Reload more and test out some new loads. I'm pretty boring, probably because what I load works well for me, but I'd like to get a little more adventurous and test out some new loads. Right now I basically only have one load for each caliber I load for.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

To hunt hogs in Texas with my Dad and my son. It's gone from resolution to a promise, so a done deal just as soon as I can get the particulars ironed out.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

to make a serious dent in my ammo stockpile.

Cheers,

Carl
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

Shoot more, become better shot. Compete in some match yet to be determined. Most likely local range military rifle shoot with Mosin m44.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Shrapnel wrote:Buy and extremely rare gun.
I got mine done...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I forgot...

Buy at least 10 more G3 magazines and much, much more ammo... (one of the "much"s goes to "much" 300+ yd practice with the HK91...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

My resolution is to move my reloading equipment from my skid shed outside to my bedroom inside the house...where it used to be before my kids were born and lost my reloading room.
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

WyoShooter wrote:My resolution is to move my reloading equipment from my skid shed outside to my bedroom inside the house...where it used to be before my kids were born and lost my reloading room.
I already anticipated that. I don't have kids yet, but I reserved myself to the garage for reloading as I knew I'd lose my reloading space when the little ones come if it were in one of the spare bedrooms. I will have to figure out what to do with all of my guns/hunting gear, as they are currently one of the rooms. Guess I'll have to get a bigger safe and put it in the garage.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

Adding a fourth to my original three...
Reclaiming my reloading area in my shed-my daughter took it over while in art school for her studio. She has since moved out and I need to get back to loading .45 ACP to feed two 1911s which have been neglected by my son and I for the last few years.