Way Off Topic: Electrical & Instrumentation Test Guides

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Way Off Topic: Electrical & Instrumentation Test Guides

Post by Blackhawk »

I have a Electrical & Instrumentation a local papermill, Arkansas Craft a park of Green Bay Packaging, test on the 27th that I feel like I am very unprepared for. I have no 3 phase experience, but from what I've learned on my own and talking with others. And feel like I am going to get slaughtered to say the least. I'm been over the internet and gotten what I can but I don't know 2005 or 2008 NEC book. I'm thinking of picking up a copy this weekend, but am wonder if I should or not. Will picking up a copy be helpful? The test is 4 hours classroom and 4 hands on. I'm sure the test will cover PLC's as well, but I think I have that covered. I've been looking for an ISCET practice test but not much luck.

Anybody got any help on this?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Any Journeyman Electricians or Industrial Maintenance guys in here that can give a guy a few pointers? I feel like I'm in over my head, but I guess it may be nerves too.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

more than likey, you'll have some electonic questions; and ,or and nor gates, along with truth tables. some insulation testing, know how to calculate polarization and dielectric absortation indexes. some didgital electronics. a lot of questions on plc's. be sure to look over the resistor color codes. how to calculate fault current. grounding is a big issue in industry today. series and parrallel circuits, calulating voltage drop, etc. if u use cranes or drives at your facility, brush up on direct current. probably have some trouble shooting questions. if the test involves any hands on troubleshooting, look for clear tape on the contact surface. hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Not exactly my trade, I do refrigeration, but for the practical side always trust your meters. The key is to understand what you read. These are your eyes and sometimes they can fool you if you don't understand what the readings mean. Diagrams are also important, they are your map. Follow the circuit from beginning to the end. Never start in the middle because you can miss something real easy ie fuse, loose connection etc. Best of luck and let us know how you make out. We are pulling for you.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

PM'ed you.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

+1 to Tman I would also recomend brushing up on you scematic reading skills. In all the electronics stuff I have done this is a big but kicker.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you gentlemen for the info.

Spent hours last night looking for Journeyman Electricans & Industrial Mainetenance Guides but didn't find any at Hastings, a local book/video store.

Also, I'm still unsure how to calculate polarization. I'm thinking I need the linear equation?

Johnny

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

polarization index 10 min. readind in ohms divided by 1 min. reading in ohm s. dielectric absorbtion rate 1 min. reading divided 30 sec. reading . try to find an ugly's handbook at your hardware store, or electrical supply house. hope this helps
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

tman wrote:polarization index 10 min. readind in ohms divided by 1 min. reading in ohm s. dielectric absorbtion rate 1 min. reading divided 30 sec. reading . try to find an ugly's handbook at your hardware store, or electrical supply house. hope this helps
tman,

Now that you've said it I seem to recall something along those lines. Thanks for the lead on the book.

Johnny

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Johnny,
This is way out of my league. My son has just entered the apprenticeship program and my nephew has his journeyman's papers both with the I.B.E.W. The nephew has see what appears to be a shortage of instrument tech's and is seeking training along those lines as well. You might see if there is an I.B.E.W. hall near you that might be willing to offer some help.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

After further search on "Polarization Index" I was able to determine what you are referring to.

In the first link they are referring to Insulation Testing.
http://www.maintenanceworld.com/Article ... plesof.pdf

Where as in link they are referring to over all PI.
http://www.contractorsunlimited.co.uk/t ... tion.shtml

My background is in electronics. Electronics and electrical are, what I'm finding, two different worlds.

Johnny

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think you're biting off a huge piece with so little time left. You wont be able to gain much from a NECA code book unless you've familiarized your way around it for some time prior to the test.
I've been a licensed journeyman electricain for over 30 years, and picking up a code book wont do any good, unless you know enough to find your way around inside it.
You might try getting a copy of Audel's Electircian's Handbook, which has a good intro to electrical basics, plus lots of troubleshooting help. The instrumentation part will not be covered in this book or the code book. Instrumentation is a whole other can of worms, which can vary greatly depending on what type of instrumentation they use in the plant.
It could be oven controls that require calibration, and adjustment skills, plus setting up temp controlers, or thermocouples. Could be analog or digital controls of various speed devices, prox. switches, or PLC's. Most companies wont require you to repair PLC's, but rather to install modules and devices, and program. If they require more than setup and assembly, they better be prepared to pay big dollars for your services.
If you had more time you could look into your local community college for classes that might be related to electrical or electronics. Our CC have a good selection, plus code update classes.
Good luck, sounds like you'll need it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

marlinman93 wrote: You wont be able to gain much from a NECA code book unless you've familiarized your way around it for some time prior to the test.
!
UBC is the same. My GC test was open book, and trying to source information from that book required forgetting logic.

Blackhawk, hang in there man and let us know how you do. Could be you've got all the right overall quals for the job, and the areas your missing can be picked up OTJ.

Linear equations. Ha. I'm taking a break right now from EE homework that uses a reciprocal of the reciprocal as one protion of the formula.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I have biten off quite a chunk here. But they've had to have seen something on my resume that got me the spot to take the test. Got a Associates in Electronics and fair amount of OJT w/PLC's so I am trying to study what I can of the electrical side. Test is tomorrow so prayers are appreciated.

Johnny

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Never underestimate the power of prayer.

Rusty <><

Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Agreed. Thanks Rusty I appreciate it.

Johnny

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

take the test. if you pass, great, if you don't you'll have an idea what you need to either study up on or get more training on. in this day of downsizing and leaner and meaner, it's doutful that your get much on the job training. your be expected to perform as a rated journyman 2 seconds after you pass the test in the bygone days , you would work under and with experenced people. today , you'll gonna get thrown into it, probably alone. not tring to depress you, just my two cents of experence worth. just be CAREFULL, THINK THE JOB THRU, DONT LET ANY ONE PUSH YOU BEYOND YOUR CAPABILITY. industry is short on qualified technician's. GOOD LUCK!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Hey Blackhawk, best wishes to you today on your test. eat a good breakfast and drink some coffee with chocolate in it.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you Frank.

Man what a test. 200 questions straight thru in 4 hours. My brain is wore out. Wont know the results for awhile.

Overall though it was good, I think, and look forward to finding out how I did.

Johnny

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Keep us posted... I love it when a plan comes together.

Rusty <><

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

blackhawk, praying on your results. hope peace reigns in your life during the waiting
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Thank you gentlemen.

Looking back on it, I'm kicking myself, I failed the hands on part. A pressure switch got me. :oops:

But again, there is power in prayer.

Johnny