Favorite Motorcycle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Favorite Motorcycle

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Favorite Motorcycle

Post by rjohns94 »

I have owned 5 different motor cycles. Kawaski 440ltd, Harley XLX sportster 1984 1000cc, Harley low rider custom, 1994, Honda super hawk 996-2005, and 2007 Harley street bob with stage four mods and customized The last two have been my favorites. I think one day I will get another sport bike - ducatti maybe
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

I own and enjoy a Triumph Speed Triple SE 1050, red/white 2010..... AWESOME!
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sold my Kawasaki KLR 650 last year. Didn't want to but it was a tough year. What a machine that thing was.
Need to replace it. If this year's bonus is as good as it should be I'll get the BMW I want!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I Thank you Sir. For me it started with a 1969 Suzuki T305. Then also a 1974 Suzuki 125 Enduro style. Lots of fun. The best was your counterpart, a 1974 Yamaha 650 standard style, not the special. I always thought those attractive. Right now I ride the 1974 CB360G. At 37 years old it's pretty cool. I just noticed that I've owned three 1974 bikes. Cool. Then there is the Gobbler Chopper.............. 8)
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

No such thing.......One cycle is for one type of riding and another is for another. I've had street bikes, huge touring bikes, dirt bikes, trail bikes, and on and off road combination. If I could only have one it would be the later. A Yamaha TW 200 to be specific. In nearly fifty years of riding and thirty cycles, I now walk.

Owen
Bear64
Levergunner

Post by Bear64 »

I have been riding since 1958, started on a 1957 Harley XL have owned and rode a couple of BMW'S a 1975 R90/6 traded it for a 1998 Triumph Thunderbird sport, had 127,000 on the R bike, bought a 1987 K-100 in 88, sold it after I bought my 99 Harley FLHT the K bike had 88,000 on it my 99 FLHT has 188,000 miles on it. in June of 10 we bought a FLHTC and it now has 21,000 miles on it..yes I love to ride.. I have been in every state west of the Mississippi except for Nevada, Org., and Calif. every state east except the new England states..
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Bear64-welcome to the fire. Hope you enjoy
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

1973: RD350....an real animal and lots of speed.
1980 Yamaha 400 Special....blah, really sucked
1985 BMW R65 Wish I still had it for around town.
2003 VTX 1300 Nice, fast, and comfortable for a 5000 mile trek.
2008 Goldwing....nuff said, but it had no soul.
Currently a 2008 Harley Ultra Classic...stage II :D :D :D It makes me smile.
Also have a little 125 Zuma. Nice around town. 85mpg. A keeper, especially if gas goes up much higher.
OH, the Harley is my fav so far. Someday, a Yamaha TW200 duel sport might join the bunch for a little trail riding.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

27 bike weeks and still no bike! :evil:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

As with most you guys i`ve had lots of bikes, road and off road, have posted pics of most of them on other threads.
So i`ll skip to my favorite and why, this 72 Sporty was wrecked when i bought it in 1974 while in the service. I chopped it and rode it from MN. to the west coast three times.
When i was growing up i worked on a farm and one of the owners sons became my best friend.
He was seven years older and to me was the coolest person alive and he was like a brother .
I couldn`t wait until i got out of the service and come home and ride big bikes together, in fact it was my dream.
Well in 74 while i was in the service he was killed on his chopper, my mother called me and told me the aweful news.
It was one bad day in my life and i`m still not over it all together.
He never seen my bike but our souls must of been together while we built them because when i was home on leave that same summer before he died i took this picture one brief day i got to see him. So that bike has special meaning to me and to this day while i ride i think of him, and someday we`ll ride together after this life.

Here`s the only picture i have of him and his bike .

And my bike.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Oh boy Steve does that bring back memories. Favorite one????????------it was---------
In 1973 bought a leftover 1972 Kawasaki Z1 (world's fastest production motorcycle)
Man,for in that day(It was a big deal)About everyone on the street wanted to run me. :lol:

I keep remembering these (kinda inbreeds) that lived in this shack and every time I drove by they gathered up(kinda like the gang on the Movie---Every Which Way But Loose) :lol: They all had these Honda 750's with headers and I would blow em off to where I couldn't see them in mirror before 4th gear.

Only one around that gave me any sweat was a buddies Kawasaki 750 2 stroke which came pretty close for the first 1/4 mile.(still not close enough)
That fun lasted until 1979 when I met up with a gentlemen on a Yamaha XS 1100
Then it was :cry: :( :?: :oops: time for me!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KAWASAKI_Z1.jpg

the stuff is so fast anymore you need to be a pro rider on a pro race track to push em to the max.
Actually when I think of it I am lucky to be alive.

Now, all I have is a Yamaha 175 dirt bike and a Yamaha 700 Grizzly Outdoorsmen Edition ATV

few others that bring back memories-------------
Had a chopped 650 BSA that was cool and a Honda 250 Dream that was well different.

Yep----------Motorcycles and guitars back then(for the gals worked for me) :lol:

Now, my Bro has a tricked out Harley 1200 with 3 naked ladies custom painted on his tank that could be my favorite when I ride it. :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Honda 305 SuperHawk.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Old Savage wrote:Honda 305 SuperHawk.

The friend that passed away i spoke of bought one of those and taught me to ride it when i was ten, was a big bike at that time.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

One of our young drivers at work rides a Z1 to work most every day. It sure does look smaller now than it did years ago.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

favorite ?? BMW R65 series ..... light in weight, very nimble, more than freeway capable, superb reliability, very easy to maintain.

here's my current mid-life crisis daily driver, been on this model since January 2000 ...
1982 BMW R65LS
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/specpages/R65LS.htm

Cheers,

Carl
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have had a 63, 64 and 69 harley dressers. I also had three royal enfield intercepters. One of them was I think a 58 and had the indian name and titled indian. It was the last bike back then to be called indian. I think floyd clymer had the indian name and imported them. I had other brit bikes and a 700 moto guzzi.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

My favorite of the 3 Harleys I have owned, is my 98 Wide Glide, which I still ride. I also have an 04 Roadking which I use more for night riding or trips, or winter riding since it has a windshield and pretty good headlights. But the Wide Glide is still my favorite for most of my riding, because it has a softer ride and I converted it to a chain final drive, so it handles the gravel road better, as I have lost a few belts due to pebbles getting inbetween the belt and rear sprocket.
NRA Life Member, Patron
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

My favorite is my current ride and the one in the pictures. 2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 with a few modifications.

I found a 1975 Honda CB 750 four that has been sitting for over ten years now and the guy is reluctant to get rid of it. Makes me sick to see it just sitting there rotting away. I don't understand people at times.

"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

Very nice bike!
"In the beginning of a change the Patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

That looks alot like my old Suzuki T305. Love the knee pads.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

COSteve,
I bought a new 650 Yamaha in I think '73. Looked just like the picture you posted except it was blue. Great bike but my favorite was a '47 Knucklehead I bought when I was 15 for $350. Let's see, 1954 I guess. It was a dresser with leather saddle bags and a sheepskin seat.
Built a bike from parts years ago, buddy of mine wanted me to pick up a lock washer for the final drive sprocket on his bike then when I tried to give it to him, he told me he already had one. Well, I'll just have to build a bike from this, I said. Turned out to be a panhead. It was on a '58 swing arm frame.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Oh so many,,,, loved m' all.

Here is a few recent snaps.

Tuono r

Falco with bars added.

ss750 touring Scotland.

Buell.

Nath :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

Favorite one to look at. In fact I enjoy looking at it so much I moved it into my TV room for the winter. Makes the commercial breaks go by a lot faster.

Favorite to ride. Not bad to look at either.

Haven't had this one long but I kinda like it also.

TDF
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I had one of those Guzzi's too TDF, fantastic handling bike! Is that the Rosso?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This is a 1977 R100S BMW - first Beemer with 1000 cc displacement engine - first Beemer that would do the quarter mile in under 13 seconds, 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, and top 120 mph on the level -(I can't testify to that - I ran out of courage at 100 - but wasn't out of throttle) and last one with no emission controls.

I put the last 65,000 miles on the 70,000 miles it has run - breaks my heart to sell it but, age has taken its toll and worn out knee cartilages force me to give up motorcycling - so its for sale to a good home -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
WyoShooter
Levergunner

Post by WyoShooter »

[quote="Pitchy"]As with most you guys i`ve had lots of bikes, road and off road, have posted pics of most of them on other threads.
So i`ll skip to my favorite and why, this 72 Sporty was wrecked when i bought it in 1974 while in the service. I chopped it and rode it from MN. to the west coast three times.
When i was growing up i worked on a farm and one of the owners sons became my best friend.
He was seven years older and to me was the coolest person alive and he was like a brother .
I couldn`t wait until i got out of the service and come home and ride big bikes together, in fact it was my dream.
Well in 74 while i was in the service he was killed on his chopper, my mother called me and told me the aweful news.
He never seen my bike but our souls must of been together while we built them because when i was home on leave that same summer before he died i took this picture one brief day i got to see him. So that bike has special meaning to me and to this day while i ride i think of him, and someday we`ll ride together after this life.

Touching story...thanks for sharing.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

WyoShooter wrote:
Pitchy wrote:As with most you guys i`ve had lots of bikes, road and off road, have posted pics of most of them on other threads.

Touching story...thanks for sharing.
Thanks bro, thing was i waited till i grew up to ride with him, we would of had matching bikes and that happened.
As far as bikes themselves i like the older shovel heads most but have enjoyed a New 02 Indian Chief, 97 Goldwing that we triked, RoadGlide, couple BMW`s with cars. lots of small bikes.
I`ve gone full circle and this 77 shovel with car may do me till i die, though i`d still like to have a Pan chopper.

Like they say,
Ride to live, live to ride.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

being a competitive motocross rider for many many years, I can remember upwards of 60 bikes I have gone through.

most were just tools to get the job done but the early ninety's Suzuki RM series were competitive standouts at the time.
Any KX500 from 1989 until the latest ones, I have a soft spot 4 and still have 1 in storage to this day.
My 1983 honda cr60 is a sentimental pick
The best bike I have however is the one in my garage right now. An 09 Yamaha yz450f with a Rekluse auto clutch kit and super plush suspension. Ive never ridden anything better, and now that I only ride a couple of times a month now, it may last a couple more years even, as it has been stone reliable
----- Doug
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Some good looking bikes here, especially that Goose... :wink:

The one I miss most was definitely our '74 Guzzi Convert. Those had two speed, manual shift, automatic transmissions. Not sure what low speed was for, we only used it to check that it still worked. Otherwise we left it in high gear all the time. An old school bike, with manly sized nuts, bolts, and rubber washers. Four pushrod valves to keep adjusted (nut & screw), oil filter inside the oilpan, and that side to side chug motion at stop. Maintenance was straightforward.

That bike had all the fresh air and handiness of bikes, and none of the inconveniences and hassles of cars*. So comfortable to ride that cars sometimes honked at me for taking too long to pull away from stop lights. :lol:

* Cars are better at buying groceries.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

2011 KLR650.

Full disclosure, so far this is the /only/ bike I've owned so by default, it's my favorite!

So far I've added swmotech crash bars, LED brake lights, some other protective gear, mud, several scratches, all in the process of resurrecting several decades old skills. Last one I even messed around with was a small dirt bike back in (cough, cough) high school.

I've already got the Pelican cases so luggage mounting comes next. It looks like the Harley crowd is always adding more chrome, the cruiser crowd is always adding more LED lights, the crotch rocket crowd is always slapping on more stickers and the KLR650 folks are always trying to figure out how to mount and carry more luggage.

My skill sets are not up a trip to Rushmore or Denali just yet...but ya just never know.
TDF
Levergunner

Post by TDF »

Nath wrote:I had one of those Guzzi's too TDF, fantastic handling bike! Is that the Rosso?

N.
Nope, just a standard 2000 V11 Sport that's been more than a little played with.

By the way. I dig those Aprilia's of your's. A Tuono or a Mille are on my watch list, should I ever stumble across a cheap one.

TDF
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Mine was a 600 Honda Enduro from the 80's. I pulled all the road legal stuff and regeared it for low power with good rubber for the bush. A real one lung thumper but built for a big guy to roam the old logging roads on. This is a fine memory thread for me. It was unbelievably tough and a first kick, every kick starter.

My road bike, a Bonny flat tracker style. I geared it for 0-75 with nothing left after that. This one wasn't a first kick starter but usually started.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Bought this year before last, an 02 Yamaha 650 V-Star classic.

Changed it a little with a backrest, Mustang seat, easy brackets & bags so now it either looks like this,
or this,

Been 20+ years since I had a bike before I got this one. Last one was a 400 Yamaha something or other I let a friend borrow & he tried to go thru a car with it. Didnt work right but thankfully he recovered fully.
I love this one but might look for a larger one if I start useing it for more than joy riding. Its great around town & not bad on the highway but theres not alot of umph left over 75 or so MPH.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Back in the day.

and now.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Back in the day.

and now.
dig that Maico Grizz ! (i hope its a MAico, it is a tad before my time, but the tank badge looks similar)
----- Doug
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I've had a handful of bikes over the years, and an equal handful of off road machines. Sport bikes, cruisers, UJM's, etc.

Here's what 30 years of riding has brought me to:

homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Hey Jeff... sweet ride :wink:
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I remember when this Yahama came out in early 1980; they listed for $1,999. Great deal on a "Japanese improved Triumph".

I bought a similar motorcycle in 1982: Kawasaki CSR 750 twin with double overhead cams. It ran perfect until about 60K miles. Installed a wreck-salavaged "new" motor and sold it.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Streetstar wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:Back in the day.

and now.
dig that Maico Grizz ! (i hope its a MAico, it is a tad before my time, but the tank badge looks similar)
Yep, Maico 450. Wish I had it today!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Grizz, my first exposure to Maico was in the 490 era, around 82 &83. By then they, were single shocked and about 40 inches tall.
was an awesome experience for me hearing those things motor by and catching a little bit of boost. I was on small bikes at the time, sixty's and eighty's, but it sure made me want one

sadly, by the time I was ready for an open class motorcycle maico was long gone except for the memories. those things are still quite valuable today to the restoration crowd ( and still fast enough to make life interesting)
----- Doug
flashpan
Levergunner

Post by flashpan »

'81 Harley Davidson FLH 80
Bought it in '84, still have it....
My wife and I rode off on it from our wedding to start our honeymoon!
Me in my tux, and her in her wedding dress.....
Wouldn't sell it for any amount, too sentimental! :D

How about the ones that got away?
In '84, just before I bought the Harley, I let a '48 Indian Chief get away......could've bought it for a song, but it was in boxes and mason jars, and I wanted one I could ride home.... :oops: and......I had even ridden the Chief before my buddy tore it down.......so I knew what he had.... :oops: :cry:
Fast is Fine.....
But Accuracy is Final!
~Wyatt Earp~
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Currently it's a 2006 Yamaha FJR. Perfect for taking in the twisties while on a cross-country hop. Rode it up the Pacific Coast Highway and around Lassen Park back in August.

Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My favorite motorcycle is someone else's, and he is welcome to it.. There was a time I thought I wanted one, but then lost a couple friends, in quick succession, in bike wrecks.. One was the friend's fault, the other was a momentary lapse of judgement, but the guy wound up just as dead..

I get enough rain and wind and weather while I'm horseback, and I don't have to put up with the noise and the smell and the breakdowns... I love four-legged drive, as opposed to sliding on the highway in a rain slick...

Just my experience and opinion.. YMMV...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

only owned three here. first was a 1983 honda cbsc550 nighthawk. thhe smallest inline four cylinder available at the time. next was a cb450sc. a two cylinder that was a tad too light for my build. next was 1997 vt1100sc ace shadow. that was my favorite one, with the highway bars, pipes, highway lights, saddle bags, windshield, floorboards, heated grips. A harley wantabe. Rode it good and hard till a buck jumped out in front of me and totaled the bike and put two screws in my right ankle. :( all three were good bikes, just moved from one to another for different reasons. After the accident, wifey said no more to bikes. My buddy laid his road king down after colliding with a doe, totaled his too and scratched his whole side up from that one.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I started riding in 1971. I've had Jappers, British, and American. A little off road stuff but mostly street bikes and drag bikes. I had a turbo Kawasaki in the late 70's that ran in the high nines and that was with the stock chassis that wiggled all over the strip. My Dad started me on a 45 inch flathead trike chopper and I have never looked back. I have a list of all the bikes I have owned along with the miles. In 2011 I hit the 400,000 mile mark. I know others have ridden more so I don't mean to be bragging about that, but I have to say my all time favorite ride was with my son when he was two and we were riding around the small town we still live in. I had a dresser with a hack at the time and we ended up on some hunting property and we were driving through waterways. That little guy was bouncing around (he was wearing a seat belt) in that hack and laughing like a little boy will when he's having fun. We were only gone for about an hour and when we got back home my wife was wanting to know where all the grass came from that was hanging off the bike. She thought maybe we had been run off the road. I told her the story and she got a real kick out of it. The best rides ain't always the longest, it's the moment your in that counts. The thing I like is when it's hot, your hot. When it's cold your cold. Say the same thing about rain, snow, sun or when the weather is perfect. You're living that moment and you feel the wind, and the air and everything around you. I've lost some great friends who were riding their bikes and died for no other reason than being in the right place at the wrong time, but we can't choose our exit. We can only choose how we live up to that moment and I recon that will most likely include a bike of some sort for me.