Dad or grandpa's guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jens5
Levergunner

Re: Dad or grandpa's guns

Post by jens5 »

Favorite's I've inherited from my Father and Grandfather;

My Chicago Police Grandfather's service revolver from the 20's & 30's. Nickel plated Colt .38 spl. Army.
His retirement badge and the Chicago news-paper article from 1929 of the 2 wanted men he shot with the same revolver.

Dad's. Winchester, pre-64 Mod. 70 "Featherweight" 30.06
Winchester, Mod. 12. 12ga. pump
2 Belgium Browning "Superposed" shotguns one 12, one 20 ga.
WW-l 1914 Colt 1911,(Marine father) shipped back piece by piece from China in 1946. Carried on Iwo Jima and Okinawa
1972 Colt Python 6"
1958 Ruger Black-hawk, 3 screw flat-top .44mag
S&W Mod.60 stainless .38spl snubby
Remington, Fancy Wood, 1100 Trap 12 ga.
Remington, mod 12C .22lr pump from 1915. (My 1st rifle:)
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Dad killed in car accident when I was 14. Best friend had recently borrowed dad's deer rifle & fella asked my newly widowed mother if he could keep it. Mom told him that as an only son, it really ought to be mine.

48 years ago & I've never seen it.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

That many years and the other guy may have some deep attachment to it too, but If I were you I'd speek up and appeal to his conscience. I did and got my Saddle ring 94 back from my nephew. He has ties to his grandfather's gun too , but he could see how much it ment to me. I bought it myself at age 15 and gave it to my dad. All's good now.

Owen
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

If he has a conscience, it would have spoken to him in the course of this nigh half-century.

Don't know if it was worth anything in terms of money. But, it did belong to my daddy.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Got these 45-70s from great uncle (grandfather's brother - who gave me my first horse for my 4th birthday) - the Trapdoor Springfield was an 1888 model with Buffington rear sight and the Hepburn half octagonal barrel target rifle was considerably older - I was not quite five then -

Got this one from my dad - not old then but - this was in about 1933.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Wow, those are winners.

Owen
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Love the old Hepburn O.J. You've been holding out on us, all this time! :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have only 1 gun that was passed down, from my wifes Grandfather. A model 70 in 300 H&H. An absolutely beautiful rifle that still shoots very nicely.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Quickly passed though my hands. Dad's 1956 model 70 lightweight 308. Went directly to my son. It was bought by Dad in '63 when he also bought my Model 70 Standard 270.

Thanks Dad

Owen
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

C. Cash wrote:Love the old Hepburn O.J. You've been holding out on us, all this time! :wink:
Didn't mean to hold out - just never came up before. The Hepburn roll mark is "E Remington & Sons" and I think they stopped using that name in about 1882. The bore shows rifling nearly worn out - whereas the Springfield bore looks like it just left the factory.

I also have a 12 gage side by side double barreled shotgun my other grandfather gave me - Damascus twist barrels - I'll get a picture of it to post.

Grandpa King was one tough guy - spent years as the railroad station agent at the far end of the Burlington railroad - always moving further west when another segment opened. He turned banker and kept the shotgun in the vault to protect against robbers - had one occasion when the robbers locked him in the vault (it was quicker to open from inside than outside) so he stepped out to shoot them - but thought the better of it thinking the gun might well blow up in his face. The robbers did hear the cocking of the hammer though and gave up returning the less than $20.00 they were able to get.

I can't resist this, though - it's a four barrel Derringer in 30 rimfire - hammer has a firing pin ridge that rotates 90 degrees every time it's cocked - given to me by a grateful patient who had a big ugly cancer on her nose I cured surgically - she couldn't pay (I knew that in advance but those were the days we could take care of needy patients for no fee) - she had ways to find out info - always sent me a birthday card every year. Came in one day and informed me she had something for my gun collection - how she found out I collected guns I never found out - even my office nurse didn't know that.

The .308 cartridge is for size perspective. Roll mark is SHARPS 1859
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great stories on those......looks like a Sharps derringer? Be neat if you could rebore the Hepburn, but maybe best left as is for future generations.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

This a picture of our hunting group from just a few years ago (2004), that 's my Dad standing on the right. He gave me the 1940 Win 94 in .32 Spec (bought new by his uncle) year before last, now he is fighting for his life after suffering a debilitating stroke this past 28th of October.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Looks like a normal Wisconsin Nov. weekend.

Owen
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My Dad & Grands isn't/weren't gunnies. I had to learn the gun on my own so never had any "fond memories" of any. But my Uncle has a really nice Savage .30-30 pump that he's promised me...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!