OT - 577 Martini-Henry Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coachise
Levergunner

OT - 577 Martini-Henry Questions

Post by coachise »

A carbine version of one of these just showed in my local gunshop (for real cheap). I've done a little internet research tonight. Seems like an interesting and historic firearm.
I recall occasional forum topics about these on the old forum. A search shows 6 on this forum, none really talking about firearm itself.
Who's got one? What can tell me about about brass and bullets? Has anyone done conversions? $138 for 20 cartridges (Ten-X) doesn't really "trip my trigger." And, at this point, I'm really not sure if it's 577/.450 or 577 Snyder.
I guess I'm looking for a reason to buy or not buy this rifle. Can anyone help me here?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

As you've seen, ammo is 'spensive. You can roll your own but the only folks I've seen that do it are die hard MH enthusiasts because it's slightly less than a punishment beating from what I've read.

I'm not 100% either were offered in a "carbine" configuration. www.ima-usa.com has real Martini-Henry's and Nepalese copies. Check there to see if it matches any of the configurations listed.

I really want one but not bad enough to pay the admission or the cost of feeding one. :cry:

BTW, the MH is an "underlever" and IIRC the Snider has a hammer and breech block similar to a Trapdoor.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

BTW, define "cheap".

Direct link to the MH rifles at IMA:

http://www.ima-usa.com/index.php/cPath/ ... b2c8b749cb

I want one sooooooooooo bad! :(
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
coachise
Levergunner

Post by coachise »

Well..........cheap as in $229. I know should be a no-brainer, cheapest I've seen on GB is $595.
I've continued my research, also. It's a definitely a 577/.450 MH Artillery model. Tons of proof marks on it. I didn't give it as close as an inspection as I would have liked. There's a Trapdoor Springfield at the shop that distracts me.
Midway has brass and dies. $116 for 20 casings.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Duh, I forgot about the Arty models and there were cabines made. That's what happens when I stay up past my bedtime... :lol:

OK, be VERY CAREFUL because this COULD be a Kybher Pass copy and probably unsafe to fire.

I forgot, I have a couple of MH websites in my favorites that you should check out thoroughly and look at it again with that knowledge in mind:

http://www.martinihenry.com/
http://www.martinihenry.co.uk/
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Martini Henry carbines were chambered in .577/450 and later 0.303 British. You need to be very wary when buying any martini these days as there are a lot of "Khyber Pass Specials" being brought back by troops stationed in Afghanistan. Most of these are cheap forgeries that would not be safe to shoot. The IMA/ Atlanta Cutlery Martinis were made in Nepal on British machinery and are genuine antiques. However, they have been offered for several years and I think they are getting to the end of the pile, so the best have gone. Most have good bores but you need to look for pitting of the barrels below the for-end wood due to damp storage.
Jamison make lower- cost brass but because of their military contracts production is very limited just now. At a pinch you can form 577/450 cases from Magtech 24 gauge brass shotshells if you have a good die set and are used to annealing brass. The least expensive Martini Henrys are the long-lever Mark IV's, with the Zulu War era models being most collectible. Carbines are generally worth more than rifles. I have a Martini Henry 577/450 and three 577 Sniders that I shoot regularly. Personally I find the Sniders more fun to shoot and much cheaper to feed since I form Snider brass from 24 gauge brass shotshells at $18/25.
Perry Owens
coachise
Levergunner

Post by coachise »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go down tomorrow and take a closer look. It sure looked authentic. Now that I've got some background information from you and the WWW, I can ask some semi-intelligent questions. I'll let you know what I find out.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Get as much info as you can from crawling all over the gun and then check with these fellas:

1. Martini Henry Rifle Collector's Forum at http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/martini- ... l?noframes , and

2.Martini Henry Forum at http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/

If it's the genuine article, that is dirt cheap.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I 've got a 577-450 rifle which came from Atlanta Cutlery around 3-4 years ago. It is almost pristine, and the bore is perfect. It took the better part of a weekend to clean the cosmoline from the gun.

It's a pretty good shooter I can get 2" groups at 100 yards with a Lead Sled, and ammo from Buffalo Arms. General shooting there is a draw back, this thing kicks like a magnum.

There are many of loads for these guns if you do reload most average around 100gr of black powder and there are quite a few with smokeless.

I'd pounce on the M-H in a heartbeat. Maybe you'll get the ammo for a birthday or Christmas.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I would be very suspicious of these
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index. ... =GO&Page=1
Though, to be fair, they do say that they could be dangerous to shoot!

Perry Owens
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

perry owens wrote:I would be very suspicious of these
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index. ... =GO&Page=1
Though, to be fair, they do say that they could be dangerous to shoot!

Perry Owens
I bet those are KP copies. No caliber listed and SOG got stuck with a bunch a couple of years ago. The only reason SOG put a warning in was because a bunch of collectors called them and let them know they would be liable if one KB'd. CFS probably got them from SOG.

2 big clues a MH is a KP copy are the "N" in ENFIELD is backwards and VR dates AFTER Queen Victoria died (1902 or 03 IIRC).

I saw a .303 MH carbine at a show around a year ago and started to get excited when I saw the reasonable price. Then looking at the markings I found the backwards N and a VR date of 1915. :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

That and the fact that SOG was selling them as pre 1899 guns, sans FFL involvement, even though they were much newer guns.

FWIW.. my 577-450 load is 70grs by volume of APP and fill the case neck with Pufflon. It's a pussycat to shoot, and plenty good for my purposes.
Slow is just slow.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

cas, what is Pufflon?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

I'd go with the Trapdoor, easier to reload for and you can buy blackpowder cowboy action reloads for a whole lot less than for the Martini/Henry. What kind of Trapdoor is it and whats the price?
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at