Coonan to introduce 357 Magnum automatic pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Coonan to introduce 357 Magnum automatic pistol

Post by FWiedner »

(GunAuction.com) – Coonan Inc. will introduce its .357 Magnum automatic pistol at the NSSF Shot Show, January 17-20 in Las Vegas. The 1911-style semiautomatic pistol is manufactured from stainless steel and fires standard .357 Magnum ammunition as well as .38 +P rounds.

The gun is a revision of gun designer Dan Coonan's original fabrication of his .357 Magnum automatic.

Coonan says that he and his company are often asked how his .357 auto compares to a run-of-the-mill 1911-style pistol. “Our .357 is very similar to the 1911,” Coonan says. “In fact, there are a bunch of parts that are fully interchangeable. Obviously, our magazine and handgrip are a little bigger to accommodate the Magnum round, but it's a very similar experience in terms of holding and firing the 1911.”

But of course, you're wondering, What's it like to shoot? Is it hard to handle? Is there a big recoil? Coonan explains with a laugh. “On our company website, coonaninc.com, we have a picture showing my three daughters each shooting the .357 auto on the range. They're not very big girls.”

The Coonan .357 Magnum Automatic has recently been featured on the cover of Shotgun News as well as in American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo's Complete Book of the Model 1911, and Special Weapons for Military and Police.

http://www.gunauction.com/news/article/ ... omatic.cfm

-----------------------------------------

Can't wait.

:!:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Re: Coonan to introduce 357 Magnum automatic pistol

Post by Leverluver »

I thought they already did that once ~ 25 years ago.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

They did but I think it wasn't too reliable, However, if they got the bugs out of it now, it would be a fantastic weapon IMO.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

" .....They did but I think it wasn't too reliable,......."
that was my understanding as well. on the other hand i have never seen a 1911 of any type or brand that was truly reliable like an HK or Glock, etc.
an auto firing the standard 357 case is appealing to me, for some reason. but i don't think i can ever fool with a 1911 design again.
cable
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Man, a .357 pistol would go great with the 1894 Marlin Cowboy model chambered in the same caliber :D
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

UncleBuck wrote:Man, a .357 pistol would go great with the 1894 Marlin Cowboy model chambered in the same caliber :D
Yeah, but so does a regular 6-shot Blackhawk, or one of the 7-shot or 8-shot Taurus double action revolvers... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
antilley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by antilley »

AJMD429 wrote:
UncleBuck wrote:Man, a .357 pistol would go great with the 1894 Marlin Cowboy model chambered in the same caliber :D
Yeah, but so does a regular 6-shot Blackhawk, or one of the 7-shot or 8-shot Taurus double action revolvers... :wink:

+1
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If they get it where it is as reliable as the 1911, then it would be a nice addition to what I already have. No need, but when does need stop us from obtaining a new firearm?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yes, but I already have a Ruger SP100 with 6 inch barrel. There's just something about a stainless steel pistol in .357 :o

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A friend of mine has has one for about 23 years give or take a year. He shoots 158 grain sp in it. It gobbles them right up.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

UncleBuck wrote:Yes, but I already have a Ruger SP100 with 6 inch barrel. There's just something about a stainless steel pistol in .357 :o

i have the dan wesson [ 1980s vintage ] stainless 357 pistol pac with 4 barrel lengths; and recently picked up bargain priced taurus stainless 4" 7 shot, and taurus stainless 4" 8 shot 357s............... you know i may have a bit of an addiction here.
cable
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The Desert Eagle proved it was possible to have a reliable 357mag, semi-auto, handgun. Although they are more of a "novelty" gun.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

No love for the 38 Super I guess.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:No love for the 38 Super I guess.
Or 357 SIG or any of the various 10mm 1911's ---- was a cool idea when it was introduced, but it has since been equalled. (but still a neat "just because" firearm)
----- Doug