Richard Bong pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Richard Bong pic

Post by Marc »

Richard Bong, WWII ace with 40 kills, was a lever gunner! I picked up a used book yesterday and thought you all would enjoy this pic. His rifle has one of those - gasp! - carry handles! He was a Wisconsin farm boy. He died in a P-80 on August 6, 1945 so this picture is earlier than that date.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Hobie

Re: Richard Bong pic

Post by Hobie »

That's a Savage 99. Can you id the mount? :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

P-38 ... oh, you mean the rifle... :mrgreen:
Last edited by bdhold on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Neat old picture!

I've done some camping in the Bong Recreation Area in southern WI. A certain set of people thought the hwy exit sign for the "Bong Recreation Area" was the greatest thing ever.

Looks like a stormy kromer he's sportin' there too. Ugh, makes me homesick
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I knew the fighter Major Bong became an ace in was the p-38 Lightning. I never knew he piloted a P-80 Shooting Star, even for a short time. I thought he died flying as a test pilot, but never knew what plane it was before now.

Thanks.

Sean
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hobie wrote:That's a Savage 99. Can you id the mount? :wink:
All I can tell is it's a side mount of some sort. Sure be easy to come up with a black eye with the scope mounted that far back...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Very cool picture. Closer examination of the photo suggests a take-down model 99, with a straight grip.

I did not know Bong was a Medal Of Honor winner. General MacArthur pinned it on his chest while stationed in the Pacific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUmisN0r4c0
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Recently read a book called ACES High about Richard Bong and Tommy McGuire in their race to who would have more kills in the Pacific Theater of War, during WW2. Bong had 40 confirmed kills, and was sent home by General Hap Arnold to go and pitch the war effort [plus they didn't want to have the highest ACE at the time killed]. McGuire was still flying trying to reach Bong's record when he was killed in combat because he neglected to jettison his 2 drop tanks while trying to evade a Japanese fighter and flipped over and dove down into the jungle.
MaGuire wound up with 38.

Anyhow, Bong went back home and got a job as a test pilot for Lockheed Aircraft Corp as a test pilot on the new P-80 Shooting Star jet fighter. Unfortunately, he crashed and was killed shortly after taking off during a flight in the summer of 1945. They could never actually determine the cause but suspected something happened with the fuel pump.

Both Bong and McGuire were fantastic pilots.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Bong flew under our bridge. About eighty feet high and 200' wide. I'm not sure anyone else has. I'm sure you'd go to jail for it now-a-days.

Owen
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

UncleBuck wrote:
Both Bong and McGuire were fantastic pilots.
fantastic shooters, too.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I"m guessing a 99 with a nice scope was expensive before WWII.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I wonder if the picture was taken during the war. He was brought back to the States to sell war bonds during the war. I can imagine a war hero being able to easily get a 99 + scope. I thought it looked like it had a straight grip but missed that it looks like a take down.

I haven't read the book yet but I saw where it said Bong wasn't a great shot in aerial gunnery. He made his kills by getting close. Erich Hartman, the top German ace, also believed in getting close.

While you are at it Hobie, what kind of scope is it?

I just looked at the book again. Another picture is of Bong walking through Poplar, WI while on his first leave in November 1943. That would be deer season and I bet when the deer picture was taken.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Hobie wrote:That's a Savage 99. Can you id the mount? :wink:
First guess is Weaver. Next would be Herkner "Echo". Just not enough detail to see more than it is a side mount, even when blown up.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

in the 70s i use to run around with a kid by the name of
Richard Bong in Wis. His Uncle was Richard Bong the Pilot
He never knew him but did have some stories to tell

ollogger
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

ollogger wrote:in the 70s i use to run around with a kid by the name of Richard Bong in Wis. His Uncle was Richard Bong the Pilot. He never knew him but did have some stories to tell -- ollogger
Go figure!

Great picture.

:mrgreen:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Everytime I go over the Richard Bong bridge, I always keep thinking I need to find out about him up. Thanks for posting this, cuz i Have never done it till now.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!