Feeling snake bite on guns of late

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Feeling snake bite on guns of late

Post by jjames »

As posted earlier my Winchester 1886 did not work with the Browning parts. Jon at MGW thinks the hammer slot was not machined far enough. Anyway a little maching on the Browning hammmer got that resolved.

Bought a 1919 Ithaca Flues 10 ga which I picked up Monday. The disclosed issues were safety didn't work and butt stock not original. What I found beyond that was: pitting on the outside of the barrels and one of the firing pins falls out of the receiver. I figured out the safety issue I thought but was subsequently told my solution was not correct. Decided to take the gun up to a gunsmith that has been mentioned well here, on the doublegun forum and whom I have used once before.

Picked up the Flues tonight and asked about the repairs. Well he had fixed the safety issue they same way I had originally done and he said he could not see how the firing pin was retained so he drilled and tapped a hole through the side of the receiver and used a screw as a retainer. I about fell over when he told me that. What is really disturbing is the left firing pin was being retained fine so there was a working example about 1 inch from the not working example. I am now worried that the gun won't break open when fired as I tried it with a couple primed shells and the firing pins which don't have a return spring are hanging up in the primer. I am hoping the recoil of the load shell throws them back into the reciever but I am not feeling lucky.

Hope these things don't run in threes. I doing some scope work on my Browning 1885.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Feeling snake bite on guns of late

Post by gamekeeper »

I would be a bit disturbed if a gunsmith drilled a hole in a vintage shotgun of mine.. :shock:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry to hear that. I've had past experiences with "gunsmiths" that literally about made me sick. Not as bad as yours, but bad enough. Good smiths are hard to find and if you find a good one you'll generally stay with them for as long as you can.
Old Law Dawg
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good Luck with that 10 ga. I wouldn't feel good about it either. I haven't had much luck getting anything fixed for a couple of years. i feel like I have to do it all Myself or risk finding a "bubba" no matter what it is.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

one of the things that keeps me from buying new guns is the work involved in getting them set up and fixed up. I just don't wanna go through that again.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I had issues years ago with a AR15 that had a stuck barrel nut I couldn't break free. Finally decided to take it to a local gunsmith, and he said he could get it off while I waited.
He proceeded to start to clamp the upper receiver half in a big vise, until I stopped him. Then he walked over and got his cutting torche while I was standing there holding the upper. I turned around and ran for the door, and after some more work at home I got it apart unharmed.
Some of these so called "gunsmiths" are pretty scarey, but if you find a good one make sure everyone knows so they stay busy and make a living! I use a smith that's 150 miles away now, and have to send my guns when I need repair, but he's the best I've ever used; John Taylor.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/