Marlin 454?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 454?

Post by tomtex »

Marlin 454.Why don't they make them?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin 454?

Post by J Miller »

Simple, the Marlin action is incapable of withstanding the very high pressures of the 454.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They won't take the pressure.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yup.. That's the bottom line...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's been tried and determined unhealthy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It would be interesting if John Browning were around now, and there were fewer lawyers and patent-stealing and so on.

I'll bet a levergun with differently-angled and forward locking lugs or another iteration of the tipping-bolt or rotary-bolt designs could be made to handle the pressures.

It would be quite a thing to have a .454 Casull lever-carbine to mate with a .454 Casull single-action field-gun, and a Charter Bulldog-sized .45 Colt to round off the collection as a concealed-carry gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Several years ago, I designed and built a Truly traditional, prototype levergun that WILL take the abuse of the .454, and the .500 S&W.. It was featured several times on this forum. Basically, it is a somewhat scaled down '86, with proper locking geometry, and suitable materials.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Rossi chambers a version of the Winchester 92 in .454. The 92 is a stronger action than the Marlins, 336 or 1894, being somewhat of a scaled-down version of the 1886.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 454 ,Why Not?

Post by tomtex »

Why don't marlin build a lever gun,chambering for 45/454 ? I think this 45/454 combination is the best all around cartridges for most of the world hunters ? *Have your say*
Last edited by tomtex on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Marlin 454 ,Why Not?

Post by Marlin32 »

Not sure what you mean by "world hunter" but I would have zero interest.
What would make this so universal?? Why not the 450?

Course, this is from someone trying to improve the 32 Special, the 338 Marlin and re-invent the 356. So take that for what it is worth.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

They suposedly were making one called the 1895RL for the 480 Ruger/475 Linebaugh that never came to be !

So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to make one in 454 Casull .

Personally I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to make much of anything in the lever action field for quite some time .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote:Course, this is from someone trying to improve the 32 Special.

Hmmm pretty difficult to improve on perfection :wink:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The cartridge produces too much pressure for any of The Marlin actions. Only the 92 and 92/86 Winchester hybrids can handle the battering.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Well, now, as a bigfoot hunter. I couldn't find this post, so i posted it again?
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Marlin32 wrote:Not sure what you mean by "world hunter" but I would have zero interest.
What would make this so universal?? Why not the 450?

Course, this is from someone trying to improve the 32 Special, the 338 Marlin and re-invent the 356. So take that for what it is worth.
Well OK, what about North America?
Last edited by tomtex on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

C. Cash wrote:The cartridge produces too much pressure for any of The Marlin actions. Only the 92 and 92/86 Winchester hybrids can handle the battering.
Well they shouldn't be stop ,by a little thing like pressure. Just copy the 92 design, Duh. :o Note: If you wonder why this is my second post on this subject ,in the last two days? Well as a Bigfoot hunter, I couldn't find it, so i posted again. :roll:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

6pt-sika wrote:

Agreed, thats why the 30/30 is still here & the 32 aint. :mrgreen:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

tomtex wrote:
C. Cash wrote:The cartridge produces too much pressure for any of The Marlin actions. Only the 92 and 92/86 Winchester hybrids can handle the battering.
Well they shouldn't be stop ,by a little thing like pressure. Just copy the 92 design, Duh. :o Note: If you wonder why this is my second post on this subject ,in the last two days? Well as a Bigfoot hunter, I couldn't find it, so i posted again. :roll:

Well, um,,, Marlin makes Marlins, or I should say Remington makes marlins. Theres already 454s built on the Win 92 action available from Rossi. Personally I'm of the opinion that my 45/70 can do everything that 454 can do plus some with less pressure. AND you can buy a 45/70 BFR if you need a similar chambered revolver.
CalvinMD
Levergunner 1.0

Post by CalvinMD »

I gotta agree..the 45-70 will cover everything and shoot forever without self destructing within its design limits....now I would still not mind a 480 Ruger in a '94 though :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Leverdude wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

Agreed, thats why the 30/30 is still here & the 32 aint. :mrgreen:

They don't call me Einstein for nuthin LOL's !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

CalvinMD wrote:....now I would still not mind a 480 Ruger in a '94 though :wink:

Maybe 6-8 years ago Marlin "claimed" they were making that one on the 1895 action and the two years before that Winchester "claimed" they were making it on the 94 action !

Neither came to be as I bugged the ever loving heck outta both of them when they had it in their catalogs !
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

tomtex wrote:Well, now, as a bigfoot hunter. I couldn't find this post, so i posted it again?
How do you expect to find the elusive Bigfoot, if you can't even find your own post on a discussion board..?

So far, your comments and replies have shown a total lack of understanding of mechanics or manufacturing, let alone ballistics.. You argue with the answers you receive, based purely on a wild-haired desire to have something that doesn't exist..

BTW, even the Rossi is only marginally adequate to handle the .454, and a steady diet of anything approaching full loads (62,000 - 65,000 psi chamber pressure) will take a quick toll on the little '92.. Freedom Arms did some experimenting with Browning/Miroku '92s, and deemed them unsuitable for conversion.. While I was building my rifle, someone at Winchester heard about my experiments, and that company collaborated with FA on tests of Winchester '94s, which ultimately led them to the same conclusion I had reached, namely, the '94, even in the Big Bore version, would not hold up to the pounding of the .454 cartridge. My own tests destroyed a 336 Marlin, and rendered 4 or 5 Model 94 Winchesters 'hors de combat.. ' The particular Winchester that failed quickest (fewest rounds) was an angle-eject Big Bore, originally chambered for the .375 Winchester cartridge.. but even it outlasted the Marlin...
Regards

Buck

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd like one in .454, IF it were possible, because it is a great cartridge, in a gun with a lever-throw and action far shorter than the .45-70 or .444 Marlin.

Maybe a Savage 99 action could be modified to take the pressures, if built with modern materials and methods, but without a slick marketing (maybe co-marketing ammo with someone, and co-marketing a handgun to go with it), I doubt enough sales would be predicted to justify them building such a gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

tomtex wrote: Well they shouldn't be stop ,by a little thing like pressure. Just copy the 92 design, Duh. :o Note: If you wonder why this is my second post on this subject ,in the last two days? Well as a Bigfoot hunter, I couldn't find it, so i posted again. :roll:
I answered your question, more completely than I felt inclined to, in your "other" thread.. The one that You, the Bigfoot Hunter, couldn't find.. The information there is intended mostly for others who might be following the thread, because I fear most of it will be lost on you.. In the future, may I suggest that you do not combine typing and drinking... Either one alone seems to be your limit.. :roll:
Regards

Buck

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

For what it may be worth, the guys at Big Horn Armory followed pretty much the same trail, in designing and building their .500 S&W levergun, rendering a 336 Marlin inoperable with maximum loads for that cartridge, which SAAMI limits to 60,000 psi, maximum.. Damage to their Marlin was identical to the one I ruined.. Battering and deformation of locking lug and breech bolt, as well as the lug recesses in the receiver, with bulging of the receiver side walls in the area of the lug recesses. Operation and lockup of the gun became impossible.. I don't know how many firings the BHA Marlin stood up to, but ours was totally finished in less than 15 shots...
Regards

Buck

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

So here you go, all combined in one place so nobody needs to look too hard to find it.

I thank Buck for taking the time, this time, to respond to this perennially favorite question. His responses were elucidating and accurate, I think.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Buck Elliott wrote:For what it may be worth, the guys at Big Horn Armory followed pretty much the same trail, in designing and building their .500 S&W levergun, rendering a 336 Marlin inoperable with maximum loads for that cartridge, which SAAMI limits to 60,000 psi, maximum.. Damage to their Marlin was identical to the one I ruined.. Battering and deformation of locking lug and breech bolt, as well as the lug recesses in the receiver, with bulging of the receiver side walls in the area of the lug recesses. Operation and lockup of the gun became impossible.. I don't know how many firings the BHA Marlin stood up to, but ours was totally finished in less than 15 shots...
Are you the same person I heard that got Marlin 1894 going with the 50 Action Express ?

There was an article about this one in Guns and Ammo a few years back . I think Mick McPherson started the gun and possibly you were the one that finsihed it ?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

No, sir... That wasn't yours truly.. I vaguely remember Hearing about something like that, but I had nothing to do with it.. I suppose it could be made to work, rebated rim and all, because it is a relatively mild, 35,000 psi cartridge...
Regards

Buck

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Buck Elliott wrote:Several years ago, I designed and built a Truly traditional, prototype levergun that WILL take the abuse of the .454, and the .500 S&W.. It was featured several times on this forum. Basically, it is a somewhat scaled down '86, with proper locking geometry, and suitable materials.

i remember...............and i am still pining away for one of them.....honestly.. wish they could go in to production!
cable
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Buck Elliott wrote:No, sir... That wasn't yours truly.. I vaguely remember Hearing about something like that, but I had nothing to do with it.. I suppose it could be made to work, rebated rim and all, because it is a relatively mild, 35,000 psi cartridge...
I think the article actually was about a fellow making a Marlin 1894 into a 480 Ruger (now that I think on it some more) and if memory serves he sort of had a 50 AE on the back burner waiting it's turn .

And now that I think about it a bit more I think Ben Forkin was the guy that did the work . Somewhere in all my stuff I have the Guns and Ammo with the article inside .
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Buck Elliott wrote:
tomtex wrote: Well they shouldn't be stop ,by a little thing like pressure. Just copy the 92 design, Duh. :o Note: If you wonder why this is my second post on this subject ,in the last two days? Well as a Bigfoot hunter, I couldn't find it, so i posted again. :roll:
I answered your question, more completely than I felt inclined to, in your "other" thread.. The one that You, the Bigfoot Hunter, couldn't find.. The information there is intended mostly for others who might be following the thread, because I fear most of it will be lost on you.. In the future, may I suggest that you do not combine typing and drinking... Either one alone seems to be your limit.. :roll:
ouch... :)
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Sadly, we can no longer look to the old-line makers, such as Marlin, Mossberg (?) and Winchester to translte their time-worn designs into today's technology.. Marlin is mired in the 336/94 mode, while Henry and several others bastardize the same designs for their own purposes.. Mossberg's 464 is a blatant (and poor) copy of Winchester's 1894, which has now been "Zombiefied" to the point of ridiculousness, and Winchester keeps wanting to resurrect their flimsy 94 in an array of new disguises, while neglecting the mighty 86 and its very capable little brother, the 92.. Meanwhile, Rossi and associates crank out their mediocre versions of the 92, and anything of value, bearing the Winchester name, comes from Japan... And we leave it up to the Italians to build the "Old" Winchesters, and do it better than Winchester did, back in the day...

Obviiously, there are no real Engineers left at any of the three companies, and all their new products are designed by the crack-smokin' dropouts in their marketing departments... i doubt their market "research" ever extends far beyond the walls of their department offices, except on forays to the water cooler or the mens' room... Those guys show up for work (most days) say they are "working" on something, and continue to collect their paychecks.. While we wait, and watch, and wonder...

Firearms manufacture requires a huge investment of Capital, for machinery, tools, land and shop facilities, and for cream of the crop designers, mechanics, draftsmen, marketers and maintenence people... Outsourcing of parts manufacture may work wellfor car-makers but ca be the kiss of death for gun manufacturers...
Regards

Buck

tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Buck Elliott wrote:
I know Buck ant it just terrible? Buck would you give use an overview of your lever gun design, and possible cartridge chambering?
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Buck would you give use an overview of your lever gun design, and possible cartridge chambering?
I aint Buck, but I think this might be what you are asking for. http://bighornarmory.com/products/
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

While it is similar in concept, the Big Horn rifle is different from mine in some important aspects.. I had nothing to do with designing the BHA gun.

As I worked on my design, I kept other calibers/cartridges in mind, so in addition to the .454, it could be adapted to the .475 Linebaugh, .475 Maximum, .500 Linebaugh and .500 Maximum, and by extension, the later .500 S&W... There is no logical reason to adapt it to the shorter rounds, such as the .50 AE or the .480 Ruger.. The latter two would work better in a 92 Winchester-length action..
Regards

Buck

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

My apologies, I thought that they were making your design.
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Post by tomtex »

Buck Elliott wrote:Several years ago, I designed and built a Truly traditional, prototype levergun that WILL take the abuse of the .454, and the .500 S&W.. It was featured several times on this forum. Basically, it is a somewhat scaled down '86, with proper locking geometry, and suitable materials.
Buck seem to be a good bit of interest from Gun manufactures,
in lever gun designs,why not approach them again,i would think Ruger and Savage needs to market a lever gun?
Last edited by tomtex on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

AJMD429 wrote:It would be interesting if John Browning were around now, and there were fewer lawyers and patent-stealing and so on.

I'll bet a levergun with differently-angled and forward locking lugs or another iteration of the tipping-bolt or rotary-bolt designs could be made to handle the pressures.

It would be quite a thing to have a .454 Casull lever-carbine to mate with a .454 Casull single-action field-gun, and a Charter Bulldog-sized .45 Colt to round off the collection as a concealed-carry gun.
Rossi sold ( at least for a while ) a M 1892 clone in .454 .

God bless
Wyr
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Rossi still does.. The gun has not been without pressure-related problems, and IMO, has not been a howling success...
Regards

Buck

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

hfcable wrote:

i remember...............and i am still pining away for one of them.....honestly.. wish they could go in to production!
Just between you and me, and the gate-post ..... Honestly ... I wish I could get them into production too...
Regards

Buck

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

tomtex wrote:Marlin 454.Why don't they make them?
Can you spell KaaaBooommmmmmmm!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am not a gun designer, but I know there are limits to what metal can take before it starts to give. There are stresses and strains, and there are definitions of both and they are not the same thing, which cause metal bonds to release. This is best termed a catastrophic failure as it certainly can be a catastrophe when it happens. The locking mechanism of the Marlin design works great with lower pressure rounds, but the design does not have enough metal to metal surface to withstand the repeated pounding from cartridges above 45,000 cup. Take a Marlin apart and look at how it locks up, there is really not a large area keeping it all locked up, where the Model 92 has more, and the 1886 has even more. I have not seen Buck's design or the Big Horn Armory design, so I cannot comment on them with any accuracy. The higher pressure cartridges need more lockup than the low pressure ones. Look up the reason why the vaunted Mr. Mauser lost an eye. No, it is pretty obvious that Marlin's current design is pretty much at its limit with a .45-70 or a .444 cartridge. Now, if some company would just come up with a way to get Buck's design into production...
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Buck Elliott wrote:BTW, even the Rossi is only marginally adequate to handle the .454, and a steady diet of anything approaching full loads (62,000 - 65,000 psi chamber pressure) will take a quick toll on the little '92.
Not to put words in his mouth, but PK seems to disagree on this point. To quote:
Gunblast.com wrote:A little over four years ago, Paco Kelly was also skeptical, but decided to try one for himself. He was so impressed with the .454 Puma that he wrote a review for Gunblast, which was published in December of 2002, and is in our ARCHIVE section...[Ed. Note: From subsequent conversations I have had with Paco, he remains as impressed as ever with the Puma .454. There have been no failures or problems of any kind after digesting thousands of Paco's hot handloads. - Boge Quinn]
Seeing as how the original review was in 2002 and the followup note in 2007, I'm thinking the Rossi might be more than "adequate" in its ability to handle the .454; potential discrepancies between Puma/Legacy/Rossi notwithstanding.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Nate Kiowa Jones
Site Sponsor

Post by Nate Kiowa Jones »

Buck Elliott wrote:Rossi still does.. The gun has not been without pressure-related problems, and IMO, has not been a howling success...

Early on they did have issues. The current guns are much better. As for howling success if you mean sales, while Rossi was busy making the silly Ranch Hands and the supply of 454's was dried up and I was seeing them going for $1000 and up on the auction sites.

BTW, They are becoming available again. I just got some 20" stainless 454's if anyone is interested
Steve Young aka Nate Kiowa Jones Sass# 6765

Steve's Guns aka "Rossi 92 Specialists"
205 Antler lane
Lampasas, Texas 76550

http://www.stevesgunz.com

Email; steve@stevesgunz.com

Tel: 512-564-1015