“Armed Robbery, just occurred….”

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

“Armed Robbery, just occurred….”

Post by Sarge »

Radio traffic like that brings the old 94 Winchester into its ready rest, between the seats. Quick handling, decisive power, effectiveness against light cover and minute-of-forehead accuracy are attributes which never go out of style.

As long as bad men take up arms against the innocent, a good 30-30 Winchester will always be a lawman’s friend.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: “Armed Robbery, just occurred….”

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Totally agree. And please tell me that target was shot at 100 yards... ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

It was indeed.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Figured. But is has "25 yard" on it... so thought I'd get that clarified :)

I bet if that perp in the other thread that got shot 17 times was hit a few times with a 30-30, it would have gone differently.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

I assume "zombies sighted, request backup" will never come across the radio, but just in case, Mossberg has you covered. Don't think too many self respecting officers would go that route tho :p

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Moondawg
Levergunner

Post by Moondawg »

I have heard it said the the 22 long rifle is a very good zombie slayer. The only way to kill a zombie is to decapitate them or destroy their brain. Supposedly the little 22 round bounces around inside the skull and turns a zombie brain into mush. Of course any round will do, but with the 22 you can carry a lot more ammo, and zombies are really slow, so you don't need to snipe them at long range. :roll:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Panzercat wrote:I assume "zombies sighted, request backup" will never come across the radio, but just in case, Mossberg has you covered. Don't think too many self respecting officers would go that route tho :p

:shock: Unbelieveable.
Old Law Dawg
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Figured. But is has "25 yard" on it... so thought I'd get that clarified :)

I bet if that perp in the other thread that got shot 17 times was hit a few times with a 30-30, it would have gone differently.
That's what I make the guys qualify* with patrol carbines on, at 100 yards, from a field expedient (car fender, wire spool--to save car fenders--) rest. The black is 5 1/4" and the spec calls for a 7" gong, so anything much outside the first white ring don't count. The spec calls for no less than 8/10 hits.

I know that sounds ridiculously easy... and with 3 or 5 shots, it is. Grab ten guys who show up at your range, hand them a carbine or M4 and see how many can do it by the second attempt. It's sort of an eye-opener for kids who've never shot a rifle much and think they can bolt marksmanship basics onto an M4.

That damnable railed Mossberg should come with a bottle of eye bleach.

*Yes, there is close/fast shooting/movement/reloads as well, from 3 to 50 yards.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Pretty cool to see a levergun in the front seat of a cruiser ! you just got a quick computer screen salute from me Sarge :lol:
----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

kimwcook wrote:
Panzercat wrote:I assume "zombies sighted, request backup" will never come across the radio, but just in case, Mossberg has you covered. Don't think too many self respecting officers would go that route tho :p

Image[/quote
:shock: Unbelievable.

believe it
...could be worse...thinking...well maybe NOT...love the flash supressor...NO...that Mossberg is so wrong on so many levels... :(

Sarge: that Win. 94 is definitely "old school"--heard of old LEO's in my agency that had those back in the day..but today it's the M-4 patrol rifle (an occasional mini-14). I always thought that my Marlin 1894c in 357 Mag would work as well...but I think the 30/30 is the better option...code-4 ... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Neat, now a Auto five beside it. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sarge wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:Figured. But is has "25 yard" on it... so thought I'd get that clarified :)

That's what I make the guys qualify* with patrol carbines on, at 100 yards, from a field expedient (car fender, wire spool--to save car fenders--) rest. The black is 5 1/4" and the spec calls for a 7" gong, so anything much outside the first white ring don't count. The spec calls for no less than 8/10 hits.

I know that sounds ridiculously easy... and with 3 or 5 shots, it is. Grab ten guys who show up at your range, hand them a carbine or M4 and see how many can do it by the second attempt. It's sort of an eye-opener for kids who've never shot a rifle much and think they can bolt marksmanship basics onto an M4.

That damnable railed Mossberg should come with a bottle of eye bleach.

*Yes, there is close/fast shooting/movement/reloads as well, from 3 to 50 yards.
Having spent plenty of time at various ranges, I would not be at all surprised to see the average shooter fail to hit the paper for all shots - from field expedient positions...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Pitchy wrote:Neat, now a Auto five beside it. 8)
I'd prefer KISS myself - 870 mag with 18" barrel, extended mag and aperture sights.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

O.S.O.K. wrote:
Pitchy wrote:Neat, now a Auto five beside it. 8)
I'd prefer KISS myself - 870 mag with 18" barrel, extended mag and aperture sights.
Oh i hear ya, was just being nostalgic, my Mossy 590 with extended mag tube and ghost ring sights would be better.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

There's an AR racked over my head in the cruiser but I wouldn't at all be bothered by using a good Winchester or Marlin.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

At least that one is not as ridiculas as this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... bA9W0eOpbY.

What a butchered up ak-47 rooney gun!
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

Sittin' next to a Colt's M4 right now, but I don't own it, and I'd feel as if I were in better company were I with my ole '94
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 93marshooter »

And I see a leather sling. I think plastic should not deface and disgrace a good old time 30-30. :lol: Just kidding. I think the 30-30 is one of the most dangerous short range (100 yards or less). Like OSOK said a 30-30 would have stopped the fight would not have needed 17 rounds. I don't suppose a full jacked bullet exist for 30WCF.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

93marshooter wrote:And I see a leather sling. I think plastic should not deface and disgrace a good old time 30-30. :lol: Just kidding. I think the 30-30 is one of the most dangerous short range (100 yards or less). Like OSOK said a 30-30 would have stopped the fight would not have needed 17 rounds. I don't suppose a full jacked bullet exist for 30WCF.
It's good at intermediate rifle range, too. Several years ago I killed a nice whitetail forkhorn, using the basic Winchester 150 grain factory load, at 238 paces. The shot centered the shoulder and knocked a chunk of bone, about as big as a quarter, out on the ground upon exiting the deer- who was down in one stride.

The only modern material that defiles this rifle is an old nylon glove pouch, threaded onto the sling near the buttstock. Makes a hand place to carry 12 extra rounds.
Streetstar wrote:Pretty cool to see a levergun in the front seat of a cruiser ! you just got a quick computer screen salute from me Sarge :lol:
Thanks, Streetstar, The car is a black 'detective package' Chevy PPV, so it's a little sneakier than your typical black & white.
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

As I recall, the 25 yd. pistol target and 100 yd. rifle targets are the same. But you're right about the need for clarification--just 'cuz a number's printed on the target doesn't mean that's the range actually used.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The goods old 30-30 served law enforcement folks in the past, no reason to think it would not do the job today. I think-- a 170 grain .308 is much more effective than a 50-55 grain .223!