45 ACP Ruger cylinder.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

45 ACP Ruger cylinder.

Post by Old Savage »

Fellows, I would like to have a 45 ACP cylinder for a late model 3 screw. I do not want to send it back because I think it will come back with all the new parts installed. SO, is there somewhere they are available and would they likely fit and/or what are my options here? Thanks in advance for any help.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: 45 ACP Ruger cylinder.

Post by new pig hunter »

don't know the absolute truth of it, but I have heard that those Convertible Models had both cylinders (LC and ACP) specifically fitted for a particular frame. In other words, not necessarily interchangeable from pistol to pistol.

Interchangeability of cylinders definitely needs to be checked/verified.

(I have two Ruger New Model BH Convertibles (both in .45), and each of the 4 cylinders has the frame serial number etched onto it).

Cheers,

Carl
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Solution.

Take out all of the parts that they are likely to swap out before sending the gun.

Having spare parts at home is never a bad idea.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

The early NM cylinders were left over OM cylinders. If you get one of those there's a very good chance of a drop in fit.
That is what I did with both my .45 Colt and ACP cylinders in my first year, 71, production OM .45.

The only actual difference between the OM cylinders and early NM ones is the NM ones have thicker ratchet fingers. This has no effect on timing at all. If the cylinder has a rebated chamber and thicker ratchet fingers it's a NM cylinder.
Old Model .45 Colt cylinder, note thinner ratchet fingers:
OM BH .45C cyl c.jpg
Later NM .45 Colt cylinder, note thick ratchet fingers, early NM are between OM and later NM in thickness:
NM .45C cylinder.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You can always find a .357 cylinder and send the whole thing to Alan Harton to be fitted and rechambered.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the info Joe. Mine has the old model cylinder you show on the top, rebated.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Some report drop in fitting. I tried 3 or 4 cylinders in 3 different guns at once, and found one cylinder that fit in one gun.

As far as I know, when Ruger fits new type internals, they have always returned the original parts, for "collectibility" reasons. That was always part of their advertisements, and those that I've heard that had it done have reported. Even if you don't ask for the parts when sending it in for something else, they were fitted, and the old parts sent along with it.

Call Ruger and ask.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Unless Ruger has changed their policy lately, they won't fit a 45 ACP cylinder to a handgun that did not leave the factory with one.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Solution.
Take out all of the parts that they are likely to swap out before sending the gun.
That's what I'd do.

I did think I saw Brownell's had 'Ruger blank cylinders in .45 cal' a few years ago.
O.S.O.K. wrote:Check this out: http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelB ... odels.html
Hmmmm.
You mean THIS one, don't you... :wink:

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

You might post over on the Ruger forum, for one. However, that said, I think I saw a post there that one sold on GB for $151
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

Contact John Linebaugh, http://www.customsixguns.com/ Heck of a nice guy and building custom Rugers is what he does. He may very well have a cylinder you can buy, and he will be able to tell you what to look for.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

AJMD429 wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Solution.
That's what I'd do.

I did think I saw Brownell's had 'Ruger blank cylinders in .45 cal' a few years ago.
O.S.O.K. wrote:Check this out: http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelB ... odels.html
Hmmmm.
You mean THIS one, don't you... :wink:

No, I was referring to the referrence to Williams Shooters Supply - for extra cylinders. Go back and look ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

There is one on GB now. Price currently is $125
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Interesting reading on his site. Thanks for the reference.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Unfortunately, if you have one turned from scratch and fitted it's very expensive (I called a few smiths and asked last year).

I finally gave up and purchased a .45 ACP Vaquero. I'm going to see if the cylinder fits any of my .45 Colt Vaqueros, and if it does I'll send the pistol back to Ruger to have a new cylinder fitted (which they'll do since the gun was .45 ACP from the factory) and keep the other cylinder as a swap out for the other gun.

That's my evil plan at least...I need to find some dollars first... :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright