Rambling thoughts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Rambling thoughts

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Just been looking over all of the posts discussing the new versus old.....the original versus repo......the period correct versus whatever....we have a fun hobby that gives us differing ideas and opinions....but I seem to be longing for those days when my old Newport side by side was all I needed to bring home a fresh game meal. Or when my Remington 1100 20 gauge was just right for trap shooting or quail hunting or deer hunting. Or even when my 1971 manufactured '94 was just right to deer hunt with.....heck I didn't know the lifter was stamped and the receiver was gonna turn purple or that the pre-64 was the only real deer slayer. Lordy before that my dad didn't know his $25 British 303 was not accurate or powerful enough to kill a whitetail and two turkeys the week before Thanksgiving. He didn't know that he couldn't hunt hogs or black bear or other critters.

The more I learn the more I realize that the fun of a gun has been taken over by............it has been educational.....I think...

Goodnight,

rick
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rambling thoughts

Post by AJMD429 »

The 'kids' of today will grow up wondering what all the fuss was about as well; they will see their game killed as cleanly, and their targets hit as accurately, by the guns they grew up with, not realizing that the lack of blued-steel and walnut-stocks rendered them useless... :roll: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

You're in good company since I ramble too... :lol:
jumbeaux wrote:The more I learn the more I realize that the fun of a gun has been taken over by............it has been educational.....I think...
For me, the fun is in the education. And I usually learn something new every day, whether I wanted to or not. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

awp101 wrote:You're in good company since I ramble too... :lol:
jumbeaux wrote:The more I learn the more I realize that the fun of a gun has been taken over by............it has been educational.....I think...
For me, the fun is in the education. And I usually learn something new every day, whether I wanted to or not. :mrgreen:
I learned today there is not nearly as much snow in Nebraska and Denver as the news led me to believe. Sure was a load off my my mind.. How did the 25/20, 32/20, 38/40 and 44/40 kill game after the 30/30 and 30/40 were brought out? Can you imagine the discussions back then. What happened after the 30/06 went commercial. My mind is spinning at these thoughts. :lol: :P Wish the "old timers" were still around to talk to.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

They claim that "ignorance is bliss", so if you don't know the choices, you will stay happy. :D You think that if today's Amazon Indians knew about guns, they would still be shooting poison darts out of blow tubes? Heck, they would be happy with a 10 cent worn out Mossberg .22 shorts. But once you know your choices, any smart guy will choose the best.

Thats why I choose pre-war Winchesters and Colts and to he*l with the Jap and Italian junk. :D ----------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Heck, the internet facilitated all the armchair talk about 'correct' firearms as well as everything else that people post about these days. Before it there simply wasn't the information available as easily as today. All the banter is fun to read but in truth, I think many of us have our ideas about what we think we want and need and we aren't as easily swayed as those younger fellas on some of the more 'tacticool' sites.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: I do it the "wrong way" most of the time (and my success shows it), but I have a ton of fun anyway just being out there.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

no matter what you get into, things do get complicated.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The main thing is to be sure we don't return to the days when a man only owned one or two guns
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Dave wrote:"The main thing is to be sure we don't return to the days when a man only owned one or two guns."
True enough, but I'd bet he would be more accurate with the 1 (or 2) he had!

My late father always taught my brothers and I to "Watch out for the guy who shoots one gun all the time... He probably knows how to use it!"

Of course, he's also the one who also taught us to violate the "one gun" limit!!! :wink: (And for that... "Thanks Dad!")

Tight groups to all.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Old No7 wrote:
Dave wrote:"The main thing is to be sure we don't return to the days when a man only owned one or two guns."
True enough, but I'd bet he would be more accurate with the 1 (or 2) he had!

My late father always taught my brothers and I to "Watch out for the guy who shoots one gun all the time... He probably knows how to use it!"

Of course, he's also the one who also taught us to violate the "one gun" limit!!! :wink: (And for that... "Thanks Dad!")
Tight groups to all.

Old No7
I want to thank your Dad too--I also appreciate the OP's post--made me stop and think--goodnight...jumbeaux... :)
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Yep -- my dad's go-to guns were a Winchester Model 50 20 gauge that he used for almost everything , and a HR 9 shot .22 --- he'd load the 50 with slugs when he really wanted to do some damage, but usually birdshot for local nuisance critters

When he went deer hunting, he always borrowed an ancient model 94 from my great uncle until the day came that i got a little money and bought him his own --- it was a AE Ranger model from Wal Mart with the receiver safety and all that. He was tickled pink with the rifle -- he also never noticed the stamped lifter , birch stock and actually thought the safety was a good idea :) --- I also didnt know any different , just that dad wanted a Winchester 30-30 and not a Marlin

To this day, i smile thinking of going to the blm range with him and watching him bust 4" clays on the 75 yard berm offhand with it ---- i had brought an AR-15 with one of the old 4x20 carry handle scopes on it that had failed and i couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with it -- he got big kick out of the fact he was outshooting his son's "modern rifle" with his levergun

My dad's gone , but i have the Ranger now and it will always be a prized possesion to me , regardless of the Ranger's humble specifications compared to more desirable models
----- Doug
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Sixgun wrote:They claim that "ignorance is bliss", so if you don't know the choices, you will stay happy. :D You think that if today's Amazon Indians knew about guns, they would still be shooting poison darts out of blow tubes? Heck, they would be happy with a 10 cent worn out Mossberg .22 shorts. But once you know your choices, any smart guy will choose the best.

Thats why I choose pre-war Winchesters and Colts and to he*l with the Jap and Italian junk. :D ----------------------------Sixgun
Half true. The Amazon Indians use Rossi beak in half shotguns. They are a far cry better for hunting monkeys and such than a blow gun, even as crude arms. The PROBLEM, as I see it, is that means soon the Indians no longer know how to make or use a blow gun, AND they are strapped to the wheel of modernity to get the cash for guns and shotshells. They end up working crumby jobs to get cash, and soon become the poorest of the poor in the modern world, rather than "just like we always were" in their own world.

Today's kids with their EBRs won't be casting their own lead and reloading their own rounds to "get by" when the larder is slack and the purse light. They'll sell the EBR to make a title loan payment to keep from losing the car, then go sign up for 99 weeks on the dole......

"Progress" is NEVER without costs.
Certified gun nut