Failed the smog test UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Failed the smog test UPDATE

Post by El Chivo »

my car's emissions were 20% better than last year, when I passed.

That means they changed the standards, which might seem ok, but it may not be possible to fix.

So here's the state forcing me to buy a newer car, which I can't afford to do.

Oh oh.
Last edited by El Chivo on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: Failed the smog test but...

Post by octagon »

I remember that ssss in Ca. Get in your car and move somewhere more friendly.
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

The "clunker" program didn't work either, more government poo-poo. They finally did away with our check here in Butler county.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The good thing about that where I live is there is no inspection what so ever. The bad thing is some people drive some vehicles that really shouldn't be on the road. I know, I know, who am I to say?
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Sorry El chivo, it's Your neighborhood, things aren't quite so tough Up North.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sue them to replace your car.

Barring that, leave.

While 90% of the state is properly agricultural, the rest damns it to hell.

Leave Hell.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

We have the checks here in Texas, too. I can see a part of the point, as it keeps the cars in safe condition to be on the roads, and I don't mind everyone having to keep their headlights, taillights, and turn signals in working order. That is sensible to me. On the other hand, if the standards are too strict for older cars to meet, then the standards are just there to force you to buy a new car or take public transportation. If your vehicle is cleaner than last year, 20 % fewer emissions and you passed last year, then you are being victimized by some do-gooder who thinks he or she knows better than you do what is good for you. There is nothing worse than someone on a crusade because they want an environment that looks like a perfect example of what is never found in nature. I have never had a vehicle fail, and I think the standards here are pretty close to reasonable. Texas is a good state to live in. Why don't you consider it? I am sure you would fit right in.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I bought my first-ever brand new pickup truck in 2002, a Ford F250 diesel, specifically because diesel was a lot cheaper than gasoline and did not require smog inspections. Here it is ten years later and not only am I paying 40 cents a gallon more than gasoline for fuel, but I had to get the truck smog inspected too! Yes they keep changing the rules. [Now resisting urge to turn this thread political].

Guess I should have kept my old '77 Ford, at least it would now be old enough to be exempt from smog inspections!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Not yet Shasta, last I heard 1975 is the last year for No Smog insp.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Here in Mo they had state run stations for a while where you had to take your vehicle. During that time I was driving a 79 Chevy Blazer,on which a previous owner had installed a dual exhaust and removed the cat converter from. These state stations would hook a probe onto your tail pipe and a computer would run the vehicle through a series of tests, while it was sitting on rollers. It took several minutes and the motor would rev up and down repeatedly. My truck always passed well within the "specs". It also was always in spec when the tests were done by private shops, prior to the state stations. All without the converter installed.
Then they went to a system of vans parked on highway on ramps. These vans could somehow magically test your vehicle in the split second that it took to pass the parked van. It would snap a photo of your plates and a form would be mailed out to you. I seriously never believed these vans did anything other than take photos.
Now we are back to private shops doing the tests. I have not had anything other than safety inspections in many years due to buying trucks with GVWR over 8600 lbs and now have a diesel over the same GVWR. These are exempt from emissions tests.
In my opinion, these emissions tests are all smoke and mirrors and a money grab.

Kevin
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I passed with flying colors in all categories except NO emissions at low speed. The old spec was 1125, I had 922. The new spec is 799. In thinking about it, I don't think there's a prayer it can match that.

I've had that car 18 years now, and have put 150,000 miles on it. I've replaced everything in it at least once. I can't imagine having something else.

Maybe if I live in it they won't be able to touch it because it's my domicile.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

What are the details of your car?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Just donated my samurai to Cars for causes for the same reason but think I'd have done better to part it out.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When we had the smog tests here some people were running the gas to a really low level then putting in a gallon or two of alcohol to go take the test with. They say it lowered everything across the boards but it's rough on some rubber fuel lines so you need to get it back out asap. I also had a mechanic run a jumper wire to my air pump so it would run all the time. He told me though that I needed to take the jumper wire off as soon as I cleared the testing area.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:When we had the smog tests here some people were running the gas to a really low level then putting in a gallon or two of alcohol to go take the test with. They say it lowered everything across the boards but it's rough on some rubber fuel lines so you need to get it back out asap. I also had a mechanic run a jumper wire to my air pump so it would run all the time. He told me though that I needed to take the jumper wire off as soon as I cleared the testing area.
+1.

If you can stand to run straight Methanol for just long enough to pass you should be golden...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Tycer wrote:What are the details of your car?

1986 Volvo 740 GLE, 4 cyl, non turbo, gasoline powered
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

dennie wrote:The "clunker" program didn't work either, more government poo-poo. They finally did away with our check here in Butler county.
dennie

Dennie,

The clunker program did work and was a huge success, it took most of the Obama bumper stickers off the road. :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rusty wrote:When we had the smog tests here some people were running the gas to a really low level then putting in a gallon or two of alcohol to go take the test with. They say it lowered everything across the boards but it's rough on some rubber fuel lines so you need to get it back out asap. I also had a mechanic run a jumper wire to my air pump so it would run all the time. He told me though that I needed to take the jumper wire off as soon as I cleared the testing area.
DeNatured Alcohol, to be exact...works like a charm. Run it down to almost empty and put a gallon.....go gas up after the test. :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

El Chivo wrote:I passed with flying colors in all categories except NO emissions at low speed. The old spec was 1125, I had 922. The new spec is 799. In thinking about it, I don't think there's a prayer it can match that.

I've had that car 18 years now, and have put 150,000 miles on it. I've replaced everything in it at least once. I can't imagine having something else.

NO is cause by too hot of a combustion temp. Choke your air intake off till little air can be sucked in (this will not give the fuel enough oxygen to ignite well), and retard your timing till it barely runs (this will allow the fuel to enter the chamber further into the down stroke causing less ignition and cooler temp) NO will drop dramaticly, might be unburnt fuel running out your tail pipe, but they don't care about that as long as it fits there catagory. Cool engine temp helps also don't warm it up if you can help it. Should pass. Then put it back how its spose too be.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

the clunker deal drove most of the old cars off the road IN NY, nd raised used car prices through the roof. A $250 junker that passes smog is now worth $3500.....

Here in FL they have no inspection at all. My truck's NY inspection would be due, and plugs, wires, cap and rotor were $150, labor another $150 and MAYBE that fixes it....
Certified gun nut
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I am sure glad that I live in a state that doesn't have inspections, anymore. I remember once back when they did require inspections, that I pulled up to the station and the inspector just glanced at my car and told me it wouldn't pass because the front tires didn't have enough tread left. It was a VW Beatle, so I just went home jacked up my other VW, and robbed the front tires off of it long enough to get it inspected, then put them back on.

Another time they wouldn't inspect my old CJ 5 Jeep because the clearance lights on the fenders didn't work, but they slipped up and told me no lights were required there, but if they were there they had to work. So I just backed out and went down the street and tore the lights off with a claw hammer, and went right back. The inspector had a funny look on his face, but he passed my old hunting jeep for another year. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Chevy VOLT...naw..never mind... :)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Udy wrote:
El Chivo wrote:I passed with flying colors in all categories except NO emissions at low speed. The old spec was 1125, I had 922. The new spec is 799. In thinking about it, I don't think there's a prayer it can match that.

NO is cause by too hot of a combustion temp. Choke your air intake off till little air can be sucked in (this will not give the fuel enough oxygen to ignite well), and retard your timing till it barely runs (this will allow the fuel to enter the chamber further into the down stroke causing less ignition and cooler temp) NO will drop dramaticly, might be unburnt fuel running out your tail pipe, but they don't care about that as long as it fits there catagory. Cool engine temp helps also don't warm it up if you can help it. Should pass. Then put it back how its spose too be.
Thanks Udy, no one seems to know this. However, the state checks and regulates timing too so you can't turn it down for the test and then turn it back up.

Everyone has told me to warm up the engine first, which the technician says he does on his own.

I'll talk to my mechanic on Monday. He may want me to keep my car; he's made a lot of money off me!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

1894c wrote:Chevy VOLT...naw..never mind... :)
Is that the little two seater that looks like a baby's shoe? It ought to be a spare vehicle mounted on the back of an SUV.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I guess my old one wouldn't pass in many states. That's why I am proud to be a Tennessean!

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Udy wrote:

+2 it works's had a friend retard timing on his car till it barely ran, passed emissions.. Most cars now are distributorless and fire on a crank sensor trigger.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I don't think you have an EGR on that so you are limited to o2 sensor and cat and leaky vac hoses as far as repairs go. Two main things that cause hi nox are lean mixture and carbon buildup. You can decarbonize it pretty easily. That would be my first attempt.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Failed the smog test

Post by El Chivo »

well, I PASSED!!!

Low speed NOx was 575, with the ceiling 799.

According to my mechanic's advice, I changed the catalytic and put in BG products gas treatment. Also his advice was to really warm the car up, or else the cat won't work right. And premium gas.

I read up online and so also changed my oil to a thin weight oil, and increased the tire pressure. Makes sense; less friction and more efficient on the rollers.

I talked to the smog tester, he said that for the low speed part of the test they apply extra load to the rollers to simulate going uphill.

So now I know it can be done, even with the reduced standards (at least this time).

Whew!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Failed the smog test UPDATE

Post by Griff »

When they first initiated the testing in CA they said that if the car was all original, and if repairs were over $500 they waived the test. I drove in with my '55, 427ci, 425HP, lope, lope, lope, on AVgas, they checked the serial # on the engine, said it had to pass '69 specs... ooops, there wasn't any '69 NOx specs... all good. Huntin' partner went in with my old '72 Blazer, 350ci 300hp, also lope, lope, lope on AVgas, but it all looked stock... the A.I.R. pump was a dummy, tubes to headers were dummies...(but it looked connected), it being a non-EGR engine, they asked when the engine had been rebuilt... he told them '79. It failed '79 specs... but, they said because it would cost more than that $500 to make it stock... it was waived.

But, now in TX, it depends on what county you live in.... But, now the '55 is an "antique" and doesn't require the probe up it tailpipe. They don't seem to care that the engine is now from '91! As long as it passes the brake and light requirements... all good. Anyone got a 1955 TX passenger car plate?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Failed the smog test UPDATE

Post by Old Savage »

El C - great diligence there - knew you could do it. !!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) Thanks for the info.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...