Leverbob, Information on .375 H&H Magnum.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Leverbob, Information on .375 H&H Magnum.

Post by .45colt »

Leverbob wrote;"...I fed my family with a .375 H&H using 38-55 loads for a few years & cast bullets". I picked up a 375 H&H a few weeks ago. could You share Your experience with cast bullets in it. the factory stuff is too darn hard on My targets. :shock: .Thanks in advance.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leverbob, Information on .375 H&H Magnum.

Post by Rusty »

Now this sounds like fun.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I shoot cast in my 375 ouch & ouch. I shoot a 310gr gr. slug over 4759 and a mag primer. Shoots about an inch @100yds. 2000fps. Might be a bit stouter than what you want. PM me for load details if you want them.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Thunder, I have some loads but am looking for the Experience behind them.PM Sent.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Glad to Pard...

When I bought my rifle it was a .458. I had it rebarreled by ER Shaw in '78. I also bought two boxes of Win. 270 gr. power points. Recoil wasn't too bad, but more than what I was used to. To get used to it I looked up some cast loads in the Lyman #43 using 2400 powder which I always kept stocked for the pistols. Had to miss a meal now & then to buy it, but that was OK with us.

While the rifle was away I bought a Lyman 375449 mold from Midsouth & cast up two hundred bullets from my WW stash. I started at 18 grs. & worked my way up to 24grs. which is the top load on pg. 127 of the reloading handbook. Recoil grew with the increases, but allowed me to get used to the rifle. A long slow push instead of a heavy sharp jab. Didn't learn about heat treating until 19 and 82.

Lyman 375449 GC-ww's & alox lube, Western cases, cci-200 primer & 20 to 24 grs of 2400 powder, depending how I feel on the day of reloading. Used a lyman 'M' die to flare & seated it out to fit the throat. Crimped in RCBS dies.

The 24gr. load clocks at a boringly consistent 1501 fps. Bullseye! Close enough to match a modern 38-55 Winny load with that bullet weight.

I've shot several elk (mostly slicks), deer, black bear, coyotes & badgers for pelts, bunny's, etc. for meat. I can't tell you what the bullets looked like after being shot because I never recovered one. They leave a 1-1.5 inch hole & no bloodshot meat. On everything. The load went thru one nice muley lengthwise @ 80 yrds & went whistling away. Elk on side & quartering shots just zipped thru. The animals went from 30 to about 60 yrds. & fell over. Good bleed out & no waste meat. To me it was a godsend at the time.

To balance: the top load. Same cases, CCI mag LR primer, 78grs. 760 powder topped off by a 300 gr. Sierra Game King BT. This load clicks at about 2620 fps. in my rifle & will get your attention in a hurry. My rifle has a little tighter chamber than most (by request). This is the long range elk load for me. (300 yrds is my max. as per Finn's recommendation).

I'm still reloading those 40 old cases with cast loads, haven't needed to anneal yet. Trimmed 3 times for about 50 reloads. Easy on cases.

I was turning on to Unique on or about 1982...so I went to The lyman 45th ed. & looked up a listed Unique load on pg. 134. Same bullet, but poured 12 grs. to 18 grs. in a ladder test. They all shot well, however, the rifle liked 17.0 grs. the best for about 1500 fps. darned if the 12 gr. load clocked right at the book no.s about 1200 fps. Tried the 3031 load listed 45 grs. & it clocked just over 1900 fps. Haven't used these loads on big game, but they sure are the bees knees for small game. Especially the 12 gr. load at 1200. Sighted for 50 yrds. they are about 2-3" low at 100 & have no recoil to speak off. You might try some dacron filler (I haven't) like some of the boys over at The CBA.com site recommend.

My bullet with WW metal, lubed with a gc weighs 283 grs. +/-1/2 gr. I don't bother to weigh & separate. 5-shots under 2" @ 100 & 3 shots at about 1.5" if i'm haveing a good day. My barrel was lapped at Shaws & I don't get any leading to speak of. I'm using lyman moly lube. I've had good fortune with it.

(At the CBA site there is a discussion going on about using Bulleye from Ed Harris. 10grs. up to 14GRS. AND NO MORE!!!!). No filler.

These have worked for me in my old Mauser. I should have just looked for an old Winny as it would have worked just as well. The 38-55 is a stone cold killer if you can work your way close. Anyone here is way above average as far a being shooters & hunters. It should be interesting to hear how it works out for Y'all.

Bob

No fillers, just tipped the barrel up & blazed away.

I have to try 16 grs of 2400 as this is such a universal load.
Last edited by LeverBob on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I shot some groups of around 3/8" at 50 yards with my Ruger #1, .375 H&H.
The load was 32 grs IMR4198 with the Lyman #375449 gas check bullet.
I put a bit of poly batting over the powder to keep it close to the primer.
I don't recall if I used LP or LR primers with this load.
I didn't chronograph these loads but they were close to 38-55 power.

Jack
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

jhrosier wrote:I shot some groups of around 3/8" at 50 yards with my Ruger #1, .375 H&H.
The load was 32 grs IMR4198 with the Lyman #375449 gas check bullet.
I put a bit of poly batting over the powder to keep it close to the primer.
I don't recall if I used LP or LR primers with this load.
I didn't chronograph these loads but they were close to 38-55 power.

Jack
Sounds like a winner Jack...care to take a guess at the velocity no.s

LB
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Bob&Jack, Thank You very much for the information. I picked up a Ruger No1 a few weeks ago on Gunbroker. Shot some of the factory 285gr Sunday and had a literal "blast". I bet the neighbors didn't think it was a .22. My Boy came over Sunday and just about flipped over that rifle. I have wanted it for Years.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Colt...I have wanted a No.1B in .243 for decades. Something always got in the way...oh well...maybe some day.

I bet that target sure felt real sore after taking a beating from those loads-Heh! :twisted:

Some tips for you Pard:

Use a 'high bench" setup like Elmer recommended. If'n you shoot low bench, you're going to cuss the day you were born.
Like separating bread dough into two parts, do the same with a bag of shot (25lbs.) & wrap it around the butt plate & not on top. It adds 25 lbs.to the rifle...It worked for me when testing a .505 Gibbs original Rigby bolt rifle (a good friends) years ago.
Use a long eye relief scope so you won't wear a nice new addition above your eye that has stitches. And...use a low powered scope. I've never needed anything above 2.5 magnification-ever. Irons work great if you have the eyes.

Once you have the loads & bench technique down, get up off your haunches & shoot like the levergunner you are. Offhand only :wink: once the loads are dialed in. Do rolling balls & cans for targets. Swinging targets work great too.

Shoot some Skeet & Trap to learn deflection shooting. Use a 12ga & not your .375H&H-Heh!. Takes care of gun swing on running shots. Learn never to stop your gun...in other words: it's a living thing while in your hands & wants to move on target.

Let your subconscious do the job & get out of its way. In other words, just do it & depend on your training. Overthinking is mental constipation. If your subconscious takes over then your rifle will be weightless, light as a feather and the sight will be on no matter what the target is doing. You'll never feel any recoil & with practice the rifle will be reloaded automatically. Be smooooooooooth....speed comes from practice & being smoooooooooth. :wink:

Finally 'ole Pard....when you have that rifle in your hands...you have lightning, tornados, hurricanes & thunderbolts in your hands. The finest rifle & cartridge ever devised by human hands in all of history.

Take some Karate to learn better stances & what to do with your hands & feet. Believe me it helps greatly.

With that... any gun in your hands will be a wand....magical, mysterious... as you make death defying deeds in the field. The "Force" will be with you and a legend will be born...women will swoon & little girls run away screaming hysterically at your appearance. Young boys will beg to be taught your wizardry. Your face will glow like Moses...

These things will go through your mind while you're cleaning a 700 lb. elk in the worst shintangle you ever could imagine ten miles from your truck. Heh!

G-D bless your soul pard...

Bob
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Informative thread!

I got hold of a Ruger 'Alaskan' in .375 Ruger (basically an 'Ackley Improved' .375 H&H), and Ruger's Pachmayr 'rubber' stock is heavy and resilient enough to make even full-house factory loads FUN to shoot, vs. 'punishing'.

Still, I'm hoping to make up some cast loads just to get some volume of shooting through the gun without paying $2.50 a round for factory fodder.

The cartridge is basically a .375 H&H, and I must say, although it isn't a levergun, it could do a pretty good job as a 'do-it-all' gun in that Ruger Alaskan. That plus a .22 LR would 'bracket' things well, if skillfully handloaded. Slide in a .375 Winchester or .44 Mag levergun for 'midrange' stuff, and you'd really have full coverage of hunting needs pretty much anywhere... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

LeverBob wrote:...I have wanted a No.1B in .243 for decades. Something always got in the way...oh well...maybe some day.

My father was always big on the RUger #1's when they first came out and he never bought himself one . 20 years ago I had a few all in groundhog calibers !

Finally I bought him a brand new #1B in 243 WIN for Xmas about 5 or 6 years ago .
To say he was surprised would be an understatement . I had already gotten the 243 and had it hid before Xmas that year (got it in the summer) . And he went to an auction and bought the Ruger #1 22-250AI we have with the Lilja barrel .

My mother gave him a #1B in 22 Hornet about a month and a half before she passed . Now between the two of us we have eighteen of them . Everything from the 204 Ruger up to the 416 REM MAG !

We have a 1H in the 375 H&H MAG that I had originally bought maybe 10 years ago and I traded it to a friend for a Interarms Mark X Whitworth in 375 H&H MAG . About two years ago I swapped the Whitworth back to the same friend for the 1H 375 and this past Xmas I gave it to my dad for Xmas !

Had a #1H in a 458 WIN MAG but with my full house loads that sonamabitch was a BRUTE !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks again Bob, I shot it offhand using the iron sights.the recoil was very stout but with some practice and work I will be able to shoot it I have no doubt. it will be the Bee's Knees with reduced cast loads. I can't wait till the next Family Bar-B-Q. it came with an old Redfield 1X4 variable scope,the scope is a little beat up but I put it head to head against My Leupold both on 4X and I swear the Redfield is as good or better.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

.45colt wrote:Thanks again Bob, I shot it offhand using the iron sights.the recoil was very stout but with some practice and work I will be able to shoot it I have no doubt. it will be the Bee's Knees with reduced cast loads. I can't wait till the next Family Bar-B-Q. it came with an old Redfield 1X4 variable scope,the scope is a little beat up but I put it head to head against My Leupold both on 4X and I swear the Redfield is as good or better.
Colt..mi amiego...now that you've blasted a few, just keep going Pard...you're doing fine. After all, it's an under levergun.
Heh...you're about as hooked as I was & now you will never let it go. Congrats. Pard! :wink: I have always favored Redfield optics & iron sights. The old Royal 3x9 power had a 5" eye relief. All their optics are first rate & I too prefer them to Leupolds offerings. Don't get me wrong, Leupolds are unbelievable equipment, you can't go wrong with them IMHO.

Doc...I would love to get my hands on one of those new Rugers....you made a great choice & should be just as versitile as the H&H. Explore the cast loads, you're a master gunner so...get on with that young filly Pard. Make it your own...

6pt. Love your posts Pard, all your posts...My old Mauser is an Alaskan by Interarms. The barrels were soft & wore quickly. When I shot it in .458 it wasn't bad at all, in fact I kinda liked all the bucking & noise. A real heavy (I mean HEAVY)push. When I shot it the first few times I felt as if my feet were connected to the earth's core. I stood there & felt the earth turn beneath my feet for the first time. I could handle it & it was one totally heavy rush for me. The .375 was my hearts desire and so I did the conversion. It was a good decision for me. You must love your Pa very much...I like that. Your Pa must some kinda wrangler. Best to you....

LeverBob
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I get mail all the time from a Ruger#1 user's group on yahoo. They usually suggest Leupold scopes to newcomers there because they seem to have a slightly longer eye relief that a lot of other scopes. My #1 is in .308 but I think .375 would be a blast. Thanks for posting this.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr. just brought home the newest rifle magazine from the news stand. There is an article in it celebrating the 100th birthday of the .375 H&H.

LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Thanks for heads up Rusty, I'll be looking for it.

LB