Lever Action Silhouette- A Perfect 60/60 Score

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Lever Action Silhouette- A Perfect 60/60 Score

Post by Shasta »

Being the Match Director for the NRA Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette disiplines at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club in Burney, California, I was calling our Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge Silhouette match held Sunday February 19, where Master Class shooter Gerald Hayler fired a perfect 60/60 score with his Marlin Model 57M .22 Magnum. We have only three Master class shooters, and Master Class scores (at least 53/60) are very seldom shot even by them.

I was pretty jazzed about Gerald's score as I knew that the National Record score was 57/60 so this would be a new record. I haven't had the Match Director job very long, so when I got home I started researching how to report this feat to the NRA for inclusion in the records. Going over all the instructions and rules they sent with our match sanction documents, I found out that NRA has two types of tournaments, Approved and Registered. Our tournaments are Approved, and NRA will recognize National Record scores only if fired in a Registered tournament! Registered tournaments are normally national, state or regional type matches that require an extra NRA fee. Seems like some kind of government BS where it don’t happen unless somebody’s palm gets greased!

Anyway, rules are rules and I am really bummed about this. I hated having to call Gerald with the news after I had made so much of it to everybody about being a new National Record. I guess sometimes life just ain’t fair, but he DID break that record even if the NRA won’t recognize it. It was an historic day for our club and especially for the six other shooters privileged to witness a perfect score. Anyone who shoots Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette knows what a huge accomplishment this was.

I just thought you levergun silhouette types might like to know that a perfect score can be done! :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lever Action Silhouette- A Perfect 60/60 Score

Post by Pitchy »

8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Please extend to him for me my heartfelt congrats to him.
From a former National Champion.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Hey, Shasta, your friend still qualified for the coveted "Grand Slam" pin (10 in a row of all four animals) if he doesn't already have one, you should have the paperwork to submit in the match approval package.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Shasta,
That was excellent shooting. Check the record books and see how many times the name "Dr. Peter Krook" shows up. :wink: He's a member of our club.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Please convey my congratulations to the shooter. I am still trying to knock 10 rams over to earn my Grand Slam.

When I shot NRA Hunter Pistol we sometimes traveled to western NY for a match. There was a wheelchair-bound shooter that was a very good shot. One day he wanted to go for a long run record and it was then he learned that according to NRA rules only standing shooters scores are recognized for long run, no wheelchair shooters scores allowed. I still get angry whenever I think of that.

I wish we were shooting the critters here in PA but there are no nearby shoots for at least 6 weeks.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

jnyork wrote:Hey, Shasta, your friend still qualified for the coveted "Grand Slam" pin (10 in a row of all four animals) if he doesn't already have one, you should have the paperwork to submit in the match approval package.
Gerald does already have Grand Slam pins for both CLA Smallbore and CLA Pistol Cartridge, and yes, they are indeed hard-earned. I'd have a pin in CLA Pistol Cartridge myself if those danged turkeys would quit ducking down every time I shoot! :lol:

SHASTA

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

jdad wrote:Shasta,
That was excellent shooting. Check the record books and see how many times the name "Dr. Peter Krook" shows up. :wink: He's a member of our club.
Your Dr. Krook can shoot alright! WOW!

Here is a link to the NRA records in case anyone would like to read about Krook's record scores:

http://www.nrahq.org/compete/natl_records.asp

SHASTA

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cool shooting. Even if the 'official' reward can't happen, he's probably motivated internally rather than externally.

Good job though...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Wonderful shooting, Shasta!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:

That about says it all! :D Way to go!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That's simply phenomonal shooting. Record book or not... extend my congradulations!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Perfect scores are rare in almost any shooting discipline.

Congratulations are in order for Mr. Hayler! That's fine
shooting, "official" record or not.

Personally, because it took place at an NRA-sanctioned match
that followed the established rules of silhouette rifle contests, I
think it should count.

-Stretch
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Let him know there is a Canadian that knows he is the record holder. Might even be international?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

a record that will never be broken...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

stretch wrote:Perfect scores are rare in almost any shooting discipline.

Congratulations are in order for Mr. Hayler! That's fine
shooting, "official" record or not.

Personally, because it took place at an NRA-sanctioned match
that followed the established rules of silhouette rifle contests, I
think it should count.

-Stretch
I agree that a score should count if fired during any type of NRA sanctioned match. I doubt they would be willing to change their rules though.

Gerald suggested that perhaps the NRA should have a "Super Grand Slam" pin for shooters getting 15 in-a-row targets. I think that is a splendid idea and I intend to forward it to the NRA Silhouette Committee.

SHASTA

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

serious shooting under extreme pressure.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats to him
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, that is quite an accomplishment but I am going to be the "sour apples" here. Like most all of the top names here in Pennsylvania, your bud used a .22 mag. Legal? yes. Sportsman like? Not in my opinion or other guys who play "fair". The fast jacketed bullet practically has no barrel time, no recoil, and is an easy gun to shoot accurate. Many of our guys at Atglen would like to see the .22 mag banned for pistol caliber silhouette.

I would be impressed if he used a cast bullet that he himself handloaded and cast.

Nothing personal and I don't want to run the guy down. If he (and the "big shots" here in Pa.) can do it with a .22. mag, why can't they just play it fair. I watched guys (the "champs")at the Pa State Champs actually handload 50 grain Sierra's into 22 mag cases for the rams. These same "champs" have trigger pulls on their guns at 1 pound or less. The rules state "any safe trigger" and who's to say they are not safe with a 6 ounce trigger, so once again we have individuals steering the success towards them.

The reason the NRA made that rule is because the stress level is higher at the Regionals and the State Champs where a shooter is competing against the best. I'm glad for that. Its easier competing on your home turf with all of your buddies around instead of obnoxious competitors staring you down when your sighting down.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote:Well, that is quite an accomplishment but I am going to be the "sour apples" here. Like most all of the top names here in Pennsylvania, your bud used a .22 mag. Legal? yes. Sportsman like? Not in my opinion or other guys who play "fair". The fast jacketed bullet practically has no barrel time, no recoil, and is an easy gun to shoot accurate. Many of our guys at Atglen would like to see the .22 mag banned for pistol caliber silhouette.

I would be impressed if he used a cast bullet that he himself handloaded and cast.

Nothing personal and I don't want to run the guy down. If he (and the "big shots" here in Pa.) can do it with a .22. mag, why can't they just play it fair. I watched guys (the "champs")at the Pa State Champs actually handload 50 grain Sierra's into 22 mag cases for the rams. These same "champs" have trigger pulls on their guns at 1 pound or less. The rules state "any safe trigger" and who's to say they are not safe with a 6 ounce trigger, so once again we have individuals steering the success towards them.

The reason the NRA made that rule is because the stress level is higher at the Regionals and the State Champs where a shooter is competing against the best. I'm glad for that. Its easier competing on your home turf with all of your buddies around instead of obnoxious competitors staring you down when your sighting down.---------------Sixgun
Unfortunately, some shooters take it way too serious and turn it into an equipment game.....like CAS, IPSC, etc. We have one of those that shows up every now and then. There's no money involved so I don't take the game that seriously.

Dr Krook is a serious competitor, but plays by the "spirit" of the game. He has taken an old Marlin 57, used crappy Remington Golden Bullets, and shot a perfect 40x40. A marksman is a marksman.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Gerald shot his perfect score using factory CCI Maxi Mag ammo, so no cheating there. One other detail I didn't mention about Gerald; he is well into his seventies and obviously can still shoot with the best. :D

SHASTA

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Shasta wrote:Gerald shot his perfect score using factory CCI Maxi Mag ammo, so no cheating there. One other detail I didn't mention about Gerald; he is well into his seventies and obviously can still shoot with the best. :D

SHASTA
..........a marksman is a marksman. :wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Now that is even sweeter, good on him.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Shasta wrote:Gerald shot his perfect score using factory CCI Maxi Mag ammo, so no cheating there. One other detail I didn't mention about Gerald; he is well into his seventies and obviously can still shoot with the best. :D
SHASTA
Seventies??!! With that note I take EVERYTHING back. :D Yes, .22 maggie or not, my hat is off to him. :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD