A lever under glass (in the most unexpected place)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

A lever under glass (in the most unexpected place)

Post by adirondakjack »

Today I saw a small personal collection of firearms owned by a man noted for his accomplishments with other noisy, fire-breathing machines.

The 6X12 ft display case had but one lever inside, an original 1887 Winchester shot gun.

The owner? None other than "Big Daddy" Don Garlits. His gun collection is housed in a replica of his "den", a small room off one of the main rooms here:

Does that make it a "race gun"? :)

If yer ever in Ocala, FL, or passing by on I-75, the Museum of Drag Racing and International Drag Racing Hall of Fame is well worth the $15 price of admission. I've been to a lot of museums, including the Smithsonian, etc, and this one is by far the cleanest, most well detailed collection I have ever seen. They have a full machine shop, fab shop, and body shop on premises, and any car there runs and could be raced today.

They also have a stunning collection of antique and custom cars on site.

Don is often there, but not today. He's in his 80's, and just got out of the hospital after feeling a bit run down. His crew chief of 50+ years runs the antique museum side, and is a fantastic historical narrator. A fellow named "Bob" who will entertain by the hour if things are slow.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: A lever under glass (in the most unexpected place)

Post by AJMD429 »

Part of LIFE is all about pursuing EXCELLENCE, whether it is being the best neurosurgeon, best boat-racer, or best buffalo-hunter. No surprise that people combine different types of excellence.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) cool 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

AJMD429 wrote:Part of LIFE is all about pursuing EXCELLENCE, whether it is being the best neurosurgeon, best boat-racer, or best buffalo-hunter. No surprise that people combine different types of excellence.

From all accounts, Don never does ANYTHING "half fast". I saw cars he painted himself (absolute show winner quality) and the museum itself is a work of art. They say he has about a 160 IQ, which is part of how he was able to milk the most out of the iron, and he has the FOCUS to time the "tree" perfectly almost every time. In his day (read that until he was 70 or so) folks having issues with a car would ask Don to make a pass with it to see what he thought. More'n once he set records in "problem" cars others owned.
Certified gun nut
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

If you're into drag racing, the NHRA museum at the L.A. County fair grounds in Pamona, Ca. is a treat. Like many of the gearheads I hung out with during high school, the thought or some day racing a rail job was one of out favorite "fantasies". We had others of course, :wink: , but car wise that pretty much topped the list.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Don used to live near me here in Seffner, Fla and ran a speed shop in Tampa. My brother in law went in there once to get something and Son just happened to be there that day. He said Don talked to him and answered all his questions for as long as he wanted him to, then Don asked "would you like to see my racer?" Then he took him in the back of the shop and there sat his rail.
By the way, Don left out county when the county jacked up his taxes. They sure messed up didn't they? They could have had that complex right here.
Jack, I didn't know you were still around. If you like concerts and such the Fl Strawberry Festival just started yesterday here in Plant City.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.