Redding CA Gun Show (Sunday Update)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Redding CA Gun Show (Sunday Update)

Post by Shasta »

I spent all afternoon setting up for this weekend's annual Redding Breakfast Lions Club Gun & Antique show. For the past two years I've been helping the widow of a friend dispose of her late husband's extensive gun collection. Now that I'm retired and on a fixed income, there's not much money for adding any guns to my collection, and of course I found some really good deals at the show and I can't do anything about it!

There was a guy with a Winchester Model 92 in 25-20, full octagon, barrel and magazine retaining most of their blueing, receiver had no finish left, good solid wood, shootable bore, priced at $775. Even better was a Winchester 94 Deluxe takedown 30-30, well used in appearance with perhaps 50% finish but solid and shootable for just $800!

What my flat pockets did afford was a neat Kings Ramp Reflector front sight (the one with the little mirror) for $5, an old but unused RCBS form and trim die for 40-82 Winchester for $5, a set of Lyman bullet mould handles for $10, and two pounds of Goex Cartridge black powder for $12 each.

I enjoyed looking at all the high-end Winchester leverguns, some priced as much as $35,000. There is some real quality stuff there for sure! I'll make another report tomorrow evening after day one of the show.

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Redding CA Gun Show (Friday Preview)

Post by pwl44m »

Just don't sell My sight before I get there. Sounds like there might be some good deals. while My pockets aren't flat they definitly a int Bulging. see You in the Morning.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Are the .40-82 dies available? Lemme know. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Re: Redding CA Gun Show (Saturday Update)

Post by Shasta »

Saturday saw good numbers of people coming through the door, but money is obviously tight. I sold a few inexpensive smaller items, and even they had to be heavily discounted to motivate buyers. I did not hear of any big-ticket sales at this gun show today.

The widow I have been trying to help was approached by an auction house representative at the show and she has decided to consign her entire collection, so our tables tomorrow will be nearly void of firearms. We still have a lot of small stuff and reloading goods to offer tomorrow.

The flavor of this show has changed a little bit this year. I saw one table of black rifles which had not been allowed in the past, and there were more than the usual number of non-gun vendors selling ammo, gun cases, and such.

I did get to have a very nice visit with Perry (pwl44m) and sold him the tang sight he wanted. He seemed to have scored with the vast amount of used gun parts available from a well-known local lady.

Will post another update after tomorrow's show.

SHASTA

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Mike D. wrote:Are the .40-82 dies available? Lemme know. :)
Mike, it was a single form & trim die for 40-82. Lemme think about it.

SHASTA

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I definitly had a good time, bought a lot of parts- Win 94 and Colt SA. Bought a really nice set of Grips for My SAA. I will put them on and get a pic for You guys. Got a brand new Cyl pin and bushing plus a used one that doesn't look near as bad as Mine. Got the Tang site from Shasta and the screws from another table.
There was a lot of parts but the one thing I did not find was a Buttplate for My Low Wall, it takes the same one as a 94 with the short tang. The search continues, no hurry.
Had a really nice Visit with Shasta, rehydrated Myself and rested. Man it was hard for Me to sit behind the table and keep My mouth shut, I kinda have the gift of gab, especially when it is something I enjoy. I get My turn next weekend in Yuba City.
Oh They did have one for Mike D, an 86 in 50-110, kinda cheap too, only 29k- say it real fast. and that was one of the cheaper Guns.
From the time I left Home this morning till I got back Home was 12 hrs, Then took the Wife to Cool Hand Luke's for Dinner. I'm bushed and ready for bed.
Perry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Glad to know you made it home safe, Perry. Now go to bed. That's where I'm heading! Gotta load a bunch of rifles into that auction man's truck first thing tomorrow. Good Night!

SHASTA

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks Shasta for Your concern. It was a pleasant 2 1/2 hour trip and I did hit the sack earlier than usual.
Hope Your day goes well today. How did the loading process go on the Firearms ? Bummer that You didn't get to sell them. Now I need to get some pics of My Loot. LOL
Perry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Re: Redding CA Gun Show (Sunday Update)

Post by Shasta »

Well, my Sunday at the gun show went surprisingly well. Got there at 7:00 a.m. and started slipping guns into cases for the auction rep. It didn't take too very long until all were safely loaded in his truck and headed out. We still had a very large amount of miscellaneous shooting and reloading accessories to sell, as well as a few personal guns, and had no trouble at all filling the three tables back full of merchandise.

Sunday was a much slower day with far fewer attendees, as usual. But I enjoyed a steady business selling cheaper items like bags of empty range brass and used reloading stuff. I was offered a neat looking Model 92 Winchester in 25-20, but the bore was totally shot, the lever was bent in, and the forend was splintered out on both sides. The $400 asking price was tempting, but I managed to let it go as I already have a good 25-20.

A fellow came by that I used to work with, and we were enjoying a visit when I noticed he was carrying a very worn-looking Model 1873 Winchester rifle. I asked to see it, and he handed it over. The action functioned a bit stiff, it had a full octagon 28" long 44-40 caliber barrel, and absolutely no finish other than silvering and rust left anywhere on the metal. The wood was very dry and showing age cracks, the ivory blade front sight was busted off, the rear sight was wrong and missing its elevator. I took a look down the bore and was astounded to see strong, clear rifling all the way! This one could well be a shooter!

I asked him if he wanted to sell it. He said yes, as it had hung for years over his dad's fireplace (thus the very dry wood) and was deemed just an old wallhanger. It did look pretty bad, which explained how it had been overlooked by all the other dealers between the door and my table. All I could think about was that nice bore, and besides the outside was just character, so I says "How much?" He was very firm on $600, and it seemed more than fair to me. I had to get a partial loan from my brother, but that ugly old beauty is now MINE! According to Midas, manufacture date was 1880. Here are the mandatory pictures, just as it looked when I got it.

Sorry for the poor bore picture but I just couldn't get a good one. All-in-all it was a good day for me! I can't wait to get this rifle cleaned up and shooting. :D

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Redding CA Gun Show (Sunday Update)

Post by pwl44m »

Nice score, a 73 is a 73. The one I have is completely refinished and buffed heavy and it looks worse than Yours, not that Yours looks bad mind You. It will clean up. I put those Grips I bought yesterday on My Colt, I'll make a seperate post with a pic. I actually kinda like them.
Perry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Mike D. wrote:Are the .40-82 dies available? Lemme know. :)
Mike- PM sent

SHASTA