The right ballistic combo - .357 bullet test

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

The right ballistic combo - .357 bullet test

Post by 86er »

Every once in a while I discovered what serves to be a great combination of bullet, velocity and caliber. In this case, the inexpensive .357 Hornady XTP 180 grain is the bullet, the velocity is 1912 fps (6 ft from muzzle average- 16" M94 Win) and the caliber/cartridge is the 360DW. I believe this could be duplicated in a 35 Remington cartridge and maybe others. This is my sons rifle and they plink and practice a lot with 38 SPL. We've taken a deer with 357 Mag loadings but were looking to go up to where they could handle the recoil and get the most out of the cartridge. I have been clearing deer and a few cow elk off a small enclosed ranch that is getting rid of all big game to start over. I've also had many clients borrow a rifle, most recently for deer (MLD Season ended 2/28) and Scimitar and Addax. To date this cartridge/rifle combo has taken 16 whitetail deer from 60 to 120 yards with every one a pass through shot. It has accounted for 2 axis deer both at 100 yards with pass through shots. 2 hogs of about 160 pounds were killed with pass through shots both at 45 yards. One cow elk was killed with a pass through in the lungs and another resulted in one of these recovered bullets. There have been 3 Addax (a 350 pound animal on average) with 4 pass through shots and one recovered bullet. It has lastly accounted for 3 Scimitar Horned Oryx (around 300 pounds) with 2 pass throughs and one recovered bullet. The bullets from left to right were from: Addax, butt-shot, 100 yards. Bullet went into ham, clipped top of 3 vertebrae, entered the rumen and stopped just short of exiting the stomach for a total of 19" penetration. The diameter at the widest part is .690 and the weight is 158.6 grains. The center bullet hit a SHO right on the back edge of the right shoulder. It broke a neat hole in the bone and travelled through the tissue behind the lungs. It then hit he back corner of the left scapular and split the bone for about 5 inches. It came to rest under the skin in front of the left shoulder. Total penetration was 20". The bullet diameter is .580 and the weight is 126.7 grains (a lot of lead came out the front). The third bullet on the right came from a cow elk at 96 yards. The bullet hit between the last two ribs on the left side, angled forward and further left the way the animal was facing, broke through the right shoulder and leg junction and stopped with the nose of the bullet sticking out of the skin, just a 1/2" from being a complete exit. Total penetration was 26". The bullet diameter is .612 and the weight is 144.5 grains. For a pretty plain, inexpensive bullet this product from Hornady has proven worthy and keeps me from buying the A-Frame or Nosler Partition in the same weight for 3 or 4 times the price. The velocity is relatively mild and may be increased with a greater barrel length than the 16" we have. The recoil is light enough that my 5 and 6 year old sons shoot the gun with a short stock, scout scope and Limbsaver recoil pad (total weight 7 pounds 6 ounces) off of sticks with no problems hitting accurately or working the lever and firing a follow up shot. I never expected this type of performance from the 360 DW or this combination of components and ballistics. There is no rhyme or reason why it works, it just does. I will still hold this cartridge/rifle to 150 yards where it drops 5 inches from the 100 yard zero, but out to that range I am quickly learning I can depend on it! I like what Mike Rintoul said a few times on the forum, "A bullet is going to do whatever a bullet is going to do".
Heres the top view, side view and bottom view of the 3 recovered bullets out of 29 that hit game:

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The right ballistic combo - .357 bullet test

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, if they perform like that at that velocity, then I would suspect they'd do just fine at 1600 fps from a standard .357 Mag in a Marlin with 18"... - probably expand less but penetrate a bit more... and I'd stay at 100 yards and in with it.

Regardless, I think that you are detailing an "enough gun" situation there. :)

Thanks for the report and pics!!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Well, if they perform like that at that velocity, then I would suspect they'd do just fine at 1600 fps from a standard .357 Mag in a Marlin with 18"... - probably expand less but penetrate a bit more... and I'd stay at 100 yards and in with it.

Regardless, I think that you are detailing an "enough gun" situation there. :)

Thanks for the report and pics!!
Remember too that the 180gr "Junior Load" that mimics the 180gr Buffalo Bore rolls out @ 1800 from an 18" tube from a normal, non DW, OAL...

But I'll certainly try loading up a box. Why not?

Regardless, I still can't use it in Wyoming even on Whitetail, much less anything bigger.
Last edited by Old Ironsights on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

86er, I agree 100% with your choice of bullet! I've used the 180 gr Hornady for several years now in my Marlin '94 357 mag with excellent results! It seems to me that it is an often-overlooked option for the 357, but that's OK, that means there's more for me!! :D
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Joe good post . The XTP bullet performance varies from caliber to caliber. The 32 XTP's don't perform well at all , but 45 XTP's hold together great from my experience.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Joe, thanks for the good report on the 180gr XTP. I would like to load some for my Rossi 20" SRC. Any help with a load from anyone would be welcome. The 85gr XTP HP makes a real fine load in my old 92 32wcf.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Aloha Joe, Have you compared the XTP to the Cast Performance 38/180gr. WFNGC bullets? http://www.grizzlycartridge.com/store/i ... CP38%2F180
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Does anyone have a bullet/Powder/COL load for 357 mag? I've see 180 grain bullets listed,but the Hodgdon lists the make as NOS PART, which is a hunting long bullet as far as I can tell.
kmittleman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kmittleman »

That's a nice load! I thought that the XTP's were rated at 1500fps though. Why does it perform so well then?

-Kevin
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist." - C.S. Lewis
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Lost, out of the 2011 hodgdon magazine the small yearly one, 15 grs Lil'Gun 180 gr HCGC crimp in the grove standard primers for 357,max load from most manuals. I run with more powder and get Buffalo Bore velocities from my rugers. danny
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

+1 on 15 gr of Li'l Gun with the 180 gr XTP, super load!!
J. R. R. Tolkien
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Without having to buy another can of powder how would 2400 or 4227 work with the 180gr XTP?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JerryB wrote:Without having to buy another can of powder how would 2400 or 4227 work with the 180gr XTP?
I use 2400 for everything but Max loads in my .357

I don't have chrony data, but a max load of 2400 should have only slightly less poop than H110/296/LilGun...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Very useful report Joe. This is the sort of thing people can use.

Thanks!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
centershot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by centershot »

JerryB, 2400 & 4227 will work great in your carbine with the 180 gr bullet, the only thing you give up is a little bit of velocity. Li'l Gun is a tad slower than those two, and because of that, it really shines in the longer barrel!
J. R. R. Tolkien
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

Thanks for posting this great info. :D

I'm printing it out for my levergun "magazine/manual".
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

SAVED for .357 levergun load info. Thank you, 86er. Excellent!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

olyinaz wrote:Very useful report Joe. This is the sort of thing people can use.

Thanks!

Oly
+1..thank you for the post...photos are great too... :)
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Great info - thanks!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

"... Addax (a 350 pound animal on average) with 4 pass through shots ..."

Well, I guess that settles the question, "Is a 357mag levergun powerful enough for a deer?"
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

COSteve wrote:"... Addax (a 350 pound animal on average) with 4 pass through shots ..."

Well, I guess that settles the question, "Is a 357mag levergun powerful enough for a deer?"
Not according to the Wyoming Fishy-Game Cops... :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!