30-30 Crayola Cat Sneeze

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

30-30 Crayola Cat Sneeze

Post by MacEntyre »

I read somewhere on Leverguns.com that crayons are sized .308, and that they work well in cat sneeze loads. So, I cut one the same length as a 150 grain LRN, and loaded a primed cartridge up with 1.5 grains of H110. I seated the dark blue bullet by hand.

I tried it in the shop using a piece of 3/4" plywood as a target. From 12' away, it hit so hard that several pieces bounced right back at me! It was pretty quiet, but I could probably do with just one grain of H110.

The bore is now waxed up, so it no longer shines.

These will be fun!

- MacEntyre
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 30-30 Crayola Cat Sneeze

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

If they're from China, you can probably take comfort in the fact they they're chocked full of Lead based pigments and that you're therefore not contributing to the "Lead Free" mania being pushed on us by some makers. Push on. Very Interesting, though a crayon seems a tad brittle to me.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Interesting, I had never heard that. I have heard of people using hot glue bullets with nothing more than a primer but had never thought to replace that with a crayon. You might try zero powder and see what that does.Thinkin I may have to try it in my .32H&R.

LK
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Since a crayon is mostly wax wouldn't a piece in canning wax do just as good for less $?

Enlarge the flash hole and just use the primer, just make sure you never use the cases for standard loads after you enlarge the flash hole.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Guess who's going to be buying crayons tomorrow? 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Do not use burnt umber in a .30-30. :>)
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Are spitzer crayons just as unsafe in a tube magazine as spitzer bullets?
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

L_Kilkenny wrote:You might try zero powder and see what that does.Thinkin I may have to try it in my .32H&R.
I'm pretty sure primer only will work... but I want to kill squirrels!

I'll use crayola cat sneezes for all my .308 and .311 cartridges! Can't wait to try it in my 32-20 rifle and revolver.
Rusty wrote:Since a crayon is mostly wax wouldn't a piece in canning wax do just as good for less $?
My crayons were free... a couple hundred were given to me by my daughter. I use canning wax for canning. ;)
Rusty wrote:Enlarge the flash hole and just use the primer, just make sure you never use the cases for standard loads after you enlarge the flash hole.
I doubt it's necessary, because the wax goes out the barrel pretty easy.
Are spitzer crayons just as unsafe in a tube magazine as spitzer bullets?
Ha-ha! They are safe, but you can't crimp them much, and I don't know if the bullets will become seated too deeply. I use them single shot.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

How about a .32 round ball.Tried it in 303 with a shotgun primer once, keyword once ,because my bit was too big and the primer didn't seal that little RB never left the barrel on it's own. Wasn't a problem as I had my cleaning rod with me but never tried it again.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

model55 wrote:How about a .32 round ball...?
I've used .311 round ball for 30-30, 300 Sav and 30-06 cat sneezes. It takes at least 1.5 grains of powder per 47 grain ball to get them out the barrel.

That's what I use for real serious killer cat sneezes!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

what a great idea...you could color code them too...never mind not sure what to do with forest green or topaz... :)
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

MacEntyre wrote:I read somewhere on Leverguns.com that crayons are sized .308, and that they work well in cat sneeze loads. So, I cut one the same length as a 150 grain LRN, and loaded a primed cartridge up with 1.5 grains of H110. I seated the dark blue bullet by hand.

I tried it in the shop using a piece of 3/4" plywood as a target. From 12' away, it hit so hard that several pieces bounced right back at me! It was pretty quiet, but I could probably do with just one grain of H110.

The bore is now waxed up, so it no longer shines.

These will be fun!

- MacEntyre
I might use any number of powders but I wouldn't use H110/W296 for that application.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Hobie wrote:I might use any number of powders but I wouldn't use H110/W296 for that application.
Good point, thanks!

I have some 231, and 4759. Rather than measuring tiny weights of powder below 1 grain, I should switch powder.

- MacEntyre

P.S. ...searched and could not find anything here on Leverguns.com about using crayons. It must have been somewhere else.

P.P.S. Found it in this thread, post #12:
http://www.shootersforum.com/handloadin ... -06-a.html
mike@nds
Levergunner

Post by mike@nds »

Speer makes reusable plastic bullets for pistol calibers.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/c ... llets.aspx
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Back in the '60s, my dad loaded wax bullets for a .38 to play around with. He even popped a couple of dogs in the flanks to deter them tearing into garbage without doing actual harm. So he was in a rural gunsmith's shop and told the smith about it. "Just a primer and a wax plug".

The gunsmith filed it away in memory, then "mis-remembered" what dad told him. He remembered "substitute wax for lead in a regular target load", which was like 1 1/2 grains of bullseye in .38. He did remember dad's tale of popping a dog and doing no real harm.

So somewhere in his pea brain, Tommy got an idea to play a joke on his wife. The gun shop/reloading area was in the basement of their home and he could hear her in the kitchen above. Tommy sneaked up the stairs to the kitchen just as his wife was bent over, putting a tray of cookies in the oven. So He popped her in her rather generous backside.

Thankfully her clothing absorbed most of the energy, but the wax bullet still penetrated, ending up under the skin an inch or so. I guess in those days you could explain such an incident away and not get the authorities involved, but it took painful removal by the doc, and a stitch or two to close the wound. Tommy's wife didn't leave him, but he did end up buying her a convertible in atoning for his foolishness.
Certified gun nut
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

ADJack,
That was great! It reminded me of the time when I was outback shooting a BB gun and my wife was walking to the barn. I too, popped her in the backside and the only thing I remember was the knife she was holding (to cut the string on a bail of hay) come flying back and whizzing past my face.

Later that day she gave me my dinner by letting it slide off the plate and into my lap. 'Ya don't mess with Italian women. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

There's a word for men like you......Damm Lucky :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:There's a word for men like you......Damm Lucky :lol:
yikes.. :0
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

you could shoot it at art board and turn it in for art class... :mrgreen:
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

How about .22 caliber pellet gun pellets over a primer in .22 hornet?
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

model55 wrote:How about .22 caliber pellet gun pellets over a primer in .22 hornet?

A .22 BB cap is the oldest metallic cartridge still being loaded. 17 grain round ball and rimfire primer, no powder. Out of Stevens .22 "shot" gun, they run 770 fps. I understand Audubon and others used them to shoot birds, then mounted em on a stick to paint...
Certified gun nut
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

adirondakjack wrote: A .22 BB cap is the oldest metallic cartridge still being loaded.
Searched the internet for these, and found them at a much better price than CCI CB caps or Aguila Super Colibris.

I shoot CBs and Colibris out of my daughter's pink Cricket single shot bolt gun. It's perfect for those light loads.

Thanks!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

game keeper wrote:Guess who's going to be buying crayons tomorrow? 8)
They're probably one of the 'terrorist watch list' items for this very reason... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

model55 wrote:How about .22 caliber pellet gun pellets over a primer in .22 hornet?
Convert-a-pell makes a gizmo kind of like that - .22 Hornet machined to accept a large rifle primer... http://convert-a-pell.com/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

This remind me of a stupid test we did: wax slugs. We cut the crimps from factory loaded shotgun hull and mixed the shots with candle wax. Then we shot the "wax slugs". They spread badly and only 2 out of 3 ever hit the target. The rest disintegrated in the air.

This guy takes these slugs more seriously... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhqosJmU ... ure=relmfu

P.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

A friend of mine made a 12ga ice slug... emptied the shot, poured in the water, put it in the freezer... then fired it through a 3/4" piece of plywood!
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I have used 22pellets in 222 Remington in my Win 70SA and with just the primer they will cover 50 feet but dropped about 18" or so. In a Hornet they should move quicker and have less drop. I have a Hornet but I have not done so YET!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

MacEntyre wrote:
adirondakjack wrote: A .22 BB cap is the oldest metallic cartridge still being loaded.
Searched the internet for these, and found them at a much better price than CCI CB caps or Aguila Super Colibris.

I shoot CBs and Colibris out of my daughter's pink Cricket single shot bolt gun. It's perfect for those light loads.

Thanks!
I found a "roll" (yep, like a coin roll) of five 100 ct. tins (like airgun pellets come in) of BB caps at a local auction. I paid $5 for em all. RWS made em in the 1950s or 60s, and they all still go "bang" just fine The only issue with em is the cases are not brass, but soft copper, so in some guns (DA revolver notably) case expansion makes extraction difficult.
Certified gun nut