tauras tang sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

tauras tang sight

Post by two bit okie »

Has anyone tried one of the taurus tang sights on a center fire levergun, like the rossi rio grande in 45-70? I wonder if it could take a beating?
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: tauras tang sight

Post by Newtmaker »

Someone over on the Rimfire Forum found that they are no longer available from Taurus.
I have one on a Henry and love it.

Walt
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have one on my Winchester 62. It seems pretty robust. I don't have a centerfire rifle drilled for a tang site but if I did I would try it. I think that someone here has one on a Rossi 92.
Maybe AJMD?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

See this thread for my experience with Taurus tang sights, and others. Hopefully you'll find some useful information here...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I have one on my Rossi 92 24" octagon .357. I've been using it for a couple of years now and think it's a great value. I shoot a low velocity load (1100 fps) on metallic animals and constantly change the zero with the range I'm shooting at. The sight is dead nuts repeatable every time and all the time. It also has windage adjustment. That said I'm not sure I'd want a tang sight against my eye on a light .45-70 rifle. I'm sure the sight could handle it, your eye???
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I had one on a Taurus .22 and thought is was a diasaster. There were no click adjustments so you had no idea where you were with it when going from one distance to another or adjusting for wind. Also, every time you folded it down and back up again, it changed the windage!! :shock:

Sold the gun, was no good, was glad the sight went with it. YMMV.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

retmech wrote:I'm not sure I'd want a tang sight against my eye on a light .45-70 rifle. I'm sure the sight could handle it, your eye???
Good point, recoil would sometimes make the tang sight on my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag hit my glasses, so I decided to use a Williams FP instead. That would happen with ANY brand, of course, it's just a function of recoil.
jnyork wrote:There were no click adjustments so you had no idea where you were with it when going from one distance to another or adjusting for wind. Also, every time you folded it down and back up again, it changed the windage!!
Glad you reminded me...

I have four of them, and I do remember one had indistinct clicks, whereas the others were fairly crisp. I needed to make a longer stem for one of them to fit an older Marlin 1889, so I picked that one to disassemble and work on, in case I blew it. I remember using a fine file to improve the 'nicks' in it on some part or other, and it helped alot. As far as the windage, applying a bit of Loc-Tite to one of the screws helps that (you can still adjust windage, but the screw no longer tends to turn when you raise and lower the sight).

All in all, kind of like the Rossi guns themselves - basically sound, but sometimes requiring a bit of post-purchase care and fitting. For $29 vs $129, I was glad to spend the time, and learned a bit about how the sights are made in the process.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

The one that I have on my Winchester M62 has positive clicks and and has always kept it's zero. As for Taurus rifles, the only one that I had any experience with was a blue M62 copy that my Dad bought new in the late '80s. One of my BILs has it now; still looks good, still shoots good.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

In my opinion BIL's should not be on the inherit list.
If sons want to redistribute, that is fine.
:o :shock:
This from an only son with no biological offspring.
Why did I even write this?