Not gun related; sad comment about American manufacturing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

Not gun related; sad comment about American manufacturing

Post by 2571 »

Went to supermarket.

Chung's frozen eggrolls now have a full color American flag on the package & "Made in the USA" so you'll chose their product.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Not gun related; sad comment about American manufacturing

Post by jnyork »

I'm missing something here, what's wrong with that? Wish we had MORE of the same.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The sad thing is these days there is a lot of food in the stores that comes from China. :o
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Rusty, I think the really sad part is that the average American consumer doesn't know and doesn't care.
I prefer to know who grew and who prepared my food, and I mean know them personally, as in local people and companies. For the life of me I can't understand why anyone would trust food that doesn't originate from a friendly, allied nation , or one that has enforced food safety standards at the very least.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

And sometimes you find American made in unusual places, you just have to look. We were stocking up on incandescent light bulbs to tide us over until LED's become affordable (don't get me started on compact flor) and discovered to our delight that the Walmart brand bulbs were made in Kentucky, not China like the major brands.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess I'm missing the point also? What's wrong if it's made in the USA, or really what's wrong if every bit of our food is made in the USA? Isn't that a good thing?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mrs. Smith doesn't make her pies..? :(
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

It's sad that we now label our products as American. Formerly the assumption was that it was American made; if it wasn't, it had to me marked with country of origin.

Apparently Mr.Chung needs us to know that HIS product is made here and not in china.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Their web page says Based in Houston, TX.
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Yeah, they are made here. Good stuff all in all if you want it at home. I find though that it is a lot better fresh at one of the local restaurants.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That's not sad, it's great!

We refuse to buy food from China or other 3rd world countries. Who knows what the heck is in that stuff! China is constantly poisoning and killing people with lead and other industrial chemicals in their foodstuff and it's a notoriously unregulated and corrupt country. And we all know how corrupt Mexico and the 3rd world in general is. I need that on my dinner table? NO WAY!

Mexican bottled Coke and Fanta products are all the rage in Arizona these days because they're made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. No thanks! The sugar part is good, but who knows what kind of contaminated water it was bottled with or what contaminants were on the bottles and machinery. Same goes for Mexican beer - I've given that up. Why are some of the bottles in a six pack filled to different heights? What's the special ingredient in the bottle that's a bit high?? :shock:

The food in our house is made in the USA or Canada (or possibly Europe, Australia, New Zealand for some special treats) with 95% USA. PERIOD. China can kiss my grits.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

You best be reading boxes and looking at labels on produce. It's being shipped in from *everywhere*.

And pay particular attention to the 'weasel words' on the labeling. For example, Bacardi Rum is 'bottled in the U.S.A.' but it's actually manufactured in Puerto Rico. Not that those folks don't do a bad job of it.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Wow! A fellow better know where his catfish comes from before tying in to a good belly full!! :shock: When I've been traveling in the USA and see catfish on the menu, I've been thinking these are the good down-home, American raised catfish. What a mistake.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Under a US Department of Agriculture ruling these imported catfish can only be sold under the name "Swai" or "Basa" depending on species, and can never be labeled as "catfish" when sold in the US. The "catfish" name is reserved for catfish raised in US fish farms. You're pretty safe eating catfish in the US.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Good to know! That is a relief!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

wecsoger wrote:You best be reading boxes and looking at labels on produce. It's being shipped in from *everywhere*.

And pay particular attention to the 'weasel words' on the labeling. For example, Bacardi Rum is 'bottled in the U.S.A.' but it's actually manufactured in Puerto Rico. Not that those folks don't do a bad job of it.
Ummm, isn't Puerto Rico part of the USA? :?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

jnyork wrote:Ummm, isn't Puerto Rico part of the USA? :?
Well...sort of... :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

olyinaz wrote:

Oly
They are considered a common wealth of the US yet they have their own Olympic team, and speak Spanish but use the US Dollar.
I don't believe the US will ever give Puerto Rico statehood as their population (3,725,789) is too scary high (more than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Hawaii, Idaho, Nebraska, West Virginia, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Iowa, and Connecticut. Puerto Rico currently lacks voting representation in either house of the U.S. Congress (Senate and House of Representatives), and Puerto Ricans are ineligible to vote in presidential elections. Can you image the political power this tiny territory with large population would have if Puerto Rico received statehood and along with it voting rights on a national level? Politics would get very interesting.

By the way my favorite rum is Maui Dark Rum though Myer's Dark Rum is an very close second. :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for the "Heads Up" on the Catfish Ji, they sell it over here in the UK as Basa, won't be buying any more!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Not really gonna bite on all the political overtones here, but I wanted to point out something I discovered recently.

1) Unfortunately, many American made products suffer from quality issues. Everyone knows about the cars. SOme good, some bad, better lately. Unfortunately, most "American" made cars are now mostly made in China or Mexico. Many of the "More Reliable" Japanese cars are now made in America to a greater percentage than American cars. It boggles the mind, that the Japanese can hire American workers to make their cars, but American car companies are hiring foreign workers..... I know everyone blames the unions, don't know if that's valid, don't care, just observating.

2) American tires are still the best. Tire codes specify what country the tires are made in. If you check Consumer Reports, the top rated tires are nearly always American made!!!

3) America durable goods cost more than chinese, but the quality is far superior! American made tools, welders, machinery outlast the shoddy, cheap, import stuff, but they are being priced out of the market. Save up the money to buy better quality.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly
They are considered a common wealth of the US yet they have their own Olympic team, and speak Spanish but use the US Dollar.
I don't believe the US will ever give Puerto Rico statehood as their population (3,725,789) is too scary high (more than Wyoming, Vermont, North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Delaware, Montana, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Hawaii, Idaho, Nebraska, West Virginia, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Kansas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Iowa, and Connecticut. Puerto Rico currently lacks voting representation in either house of the U.S. Congress (Senate and House of Representatives), and Puerto Ricans are ineligible to vote in presidential elections. Can you image the political power this tiny territory with large population would have if Puerto Rico received statehood and along with it voting rights on a national level? Politics would get very interesting.

By the way my favorite rum is Maui Dark Rum though Myer's Dark Rum is an very close second. :wink:
Puerto Ricans in the past decisively voted against statehood in referendums. too many disadvantages perhaps and the majority of the advantages they already have as a commonwealth, i suppose.
cable
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:
olyinaz wrote:

Oly

As they are U.S. citizens, Puerto Ricans can freely move about the U.S. and, need only establish residence in a new state in order to vote in state and national elections.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Apples, eat a lot of apples....even though New Zealand grows some excellent Gala's. 2/3rds of all apples consumed in the world are grown in North America (either US or Canada). Unfortunately China and SE Asia have a market lock on futures, kind of like our oil coming out of Alaska.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

anybody know where generic Aspirin comes from?
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Twodot wrote:anybody know where generic Aspirin comes from?
It grows natually under the Willow tree bark...otherwise know as acetylsalicylic acid or more commonly known as CH3COOC6H4COOH if you would like to make your own, like we had to in High School chemstry class way back when....the young uns sure need to be schooled!