Reloading Berdan Primed Cases

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Reloading Berdan Primed Cases

Post by Griff »

Ok, I give up. Is there ANY manufacturer that makes a decapper for Berdan primed cases? Specifically, 12 ga. brass Remington DU hulls. I've ruined a few too many hulls trying to just drill a new flash hole, then poke 'em out... Need another technique or proper tool.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Reloading Berdan Primed Cases

Post by mikld »

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/rcbsbe ... tions.html I've seen this type of tool but don't know of a vendor right now...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Griff, Find or make a short piece of doweling that just slips into the empty case and an O-ring that is the same size.
Put a half inch or so of water into the case.Next goes the o-ring and dowel. Set the case over a block of wood with a small hole for the primer to enter. Smack the end of the dowel with a small hammer. Wear glasses/ goggles! :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've seen two different RCBS tools. The one Dave Cushman gives instructions for:
... and something just called a RCBS Decapping Pin:

I'm thinking the second one is just the pry part. Not sure either would work with 12ga shotshells. Although I guess a wood dowel as an adapter might do the trick. I plan on removing the anvil from the case and then using Boxer primers... I ain't got one to work yet... don't wanna spend a lot until that part's doable.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

http://www.ammosmith.com/general-reload ... g-tool.php

I like this ammosmith site. They have a lot of useful info. The above is a video of them using the RCBS tool for depriming berdan cases. It looks like a lot of work, but is doable.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

What I do with berdan primed Magtech brass shotshells is drill them out from the inside with a 15/64 drill, taking out the anvil and spent primer in one shot. You might need to rebate the primer pocket a little with a larger drill to allow the 207 primer rim to seat all the way. Easier to do if you have a small lathe to centre the case.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

perry owens wrote:What I do with berdan primed Magtech brass shotshells is drill them out from the inside with a 15/64 drill, taking out the anvil and spent primer in one shot. You might need to rebate the primer pocket a little with a larger drill to allow the 207 primer rim to seat all the way. Easier to do if you have a small lathe to centre the case.
Perry Owens
So there is enough metal there to hold a shotgun primer? Will 209s work as well?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Griff wrote:
perry owens wrote:What I do with berdan primed Magtech brass shotshells is drill them out from the inside with a 15/64 drill, taking out the anvil and spent primer in one shot. You might need to rebate the primer pocket a little with a larger drill to allow the 207 primer rim to seat all the way. Easier to do if you have a small lathe to centre the case.
Perry Owens
So there is enough metal there to hold a shotgun primer? Will 209s work as well?
There is on Magtechs but I have not tried Remington hulls. Sorry for the typo - I meant to say 209s not 207s. I did find that different makes of primer have slightly different diameters. For CCI 209s I had to use a 6.1mm drill.I am not sure how many reloads these converted shells will take as Magtech quickly changed to boxer primed hulls and I only keep the berdan types as emergency backups.
I only load black powder but I did convert a number of these for a guy who loads smokeless and uses them on clays.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

I had thousands of Berdan-primed shells. This is what I did:
Removed decapping pin and rod from RCBS sizer die;
Machinist made new decapping rod with hardened steel 2 mm x 8 mm tip;
Resized shell normally in RCBS Rock Chucker press. This will punch out Berdan anvil and primer
I thought I was stressing the press a little too much, so I had an extension machined to fit my Corbin press to accept a shell holder. The Corbin has more leverage than the Rock Chucker.
After punching out the Berdan anvil, I flattened the puckered flash holes using a 4 mm steel punch.
Reamed primer pocket hole with 4 mm brad-point bit with a 2 mm tip for a perfect case.
It is a laborious process, but done only once. Since I had thousands of spent Berdan shells, it was worthwhile.
Luck.
Antonio
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

howdy griff,
this was posted on another site or maybe this one. i can't remember or i would refer you to it. quite interesting. i will describe it as i remember.
drill the indent in the primer with the proper size drill for a flash hole. (drill all the way thru to make a center flash hole) then drill the base of the primer off with the proper size drill (sorry i do not rmember the sizes) this leaves the sides of the original primer in the case. now use a primer pocket swadge as you would with military crimped primers. use the one for small primers. now prime with small rifle primers.
the man who posted this said he had reloaded the cases several times using the normal sizing and depriming operation. sorry ican't give more accurate details. will not be hard to figger out. thinking back i believe this is posted on castbooletsgunloads.com . approiate heading will lead you to it.
hope this helps.
Little Doc
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Here's a sticky from the CastBoolits Forum: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=143958
Converting Berdan primer pockets to Boxer
Good luck,
Mark :idea:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.