Handloading for SA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Handloading for SA

Post by abcollector »

How do you go about developing a load (in this case, a single action .45 Colt) with fixed sights to shoot point of aim to point of impact? I have a load (255 gain rd nose/flat point hand cast over 7.5 grains of Unique and CCI LP primer) that impacts about three inches between the ten o'clock and eleven o'clock position from point of aim at fifteen yds. What should I change first to get the impact where I want it to be? I don't want to use "Kentucky windage" as I don't shoot it often enough to remember to aim at five o'clock three inches out. I don't want to take a file to the front sight either.

I haven't shot any factory ammo out of it and don't think I have any.

Thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Handloading for SA

Post by J Miller »

abcollector wrote:How do you go about developing a load (in this case, a single action .45 Colt) with fixed sights to shoot point of aim to point of impact? I have a load (255 gain rd nose/flat point hand cast over 7.5 grains of Unique and CCI LP primer) that impacts about three inches between the ten o'clock and eleven o'clock position from point of aim at fifteen yds. What should I change first to get the impact where I want it to be? I don't want to use "Kentucky windage" as I don't shoot it often enough to remember to aim at five o'clock three inches out. I don't want to take a file to the front sight either.

I haven't shot any factory ammo out of it and don't think I have any.

Thanks
Well, if the load you are shooting is giving you good accuracy then I'd go here: http://shootingsafely.com/correction.jpg , and study the diagnostic target to just make sure it's not you that's pushing the gun to the left. I have that tendency, and I've been shooting them for many years.

Then if it really is the pistol I'd take it to a gunsmith and have him turn the barrel slightly to regulate the windage.

It also sounds like it's shooting high so I'd have the smith fabricate a taller front sight at the same time to bring the POI down to where you want it.

When I do it for myself I shoot a factory duplicate load ( 7.1grs of 231 or 8.0grs of Unique under a 250-255 gr bullet at 25 yards from the bench to really verify the accuracy and point of impact of the load and pistol.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Thanks for the recommendations and target link. I knew I could count on you to reply, I appreciate it. I'm leery of taking/sending the revolver to someone I don't know/trust so that will be the last option. If it comes to it, I will seek some advise for this forum.
I should really shoot it from a sandbag rest at 25 yds like you mentioned and see what it's doing. I could see possibly part of the issue is anticipating recoil giving where the impacts are.

Thanks Joe.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have the same problem with local gunsmiths. There are none around here that I'd trust to tighten a loose screw.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Well Joe, I took her back out again this evening and shooting from a sandbag rest at ~20yds the impacts were still in the same place. That is except the two that I accept responsibly for that were out of the group. So I guess what I'll do is two things. One scrounge around and see what other components I can find that will work to change it up and two, get a box of factory loaded stuff just to see how it shoots. At the very least, I'll have the brass when I'm done.
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday sir,
Might I suggest a book by Mike Venturino titled Shooting Colt single actions in all styles, calibers and generations. Its been a great help to me and he even lists some good smiths to do the kind of work your SA may require. Its a very good read.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Good call Sir, but they appear to be as rare as hen's teeth. Will keep looking however.

Thanks
the telegraphist wrote:Gday sir,
Might I suggest a book by Mike Venturino titled Shooting Colt single actions in all styles, calibers and generations. Its been a great help to me and he even lists some good smiths to do the kind of work your SA may require. Its a very good read.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

First thing I'd try -- work on your grip. I have found that my SA revolvers shoot closer to
POA when I use a two-hand grip, with the offhand providing most of the grip strength. My shooting hand just cradles the grip and controls the trigger. A successful technique for you might be different.

Second thing to try -- up your load in half-grain increments as high as 9.0, and see what happens.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

You may need to do some Grip and Wrist strengthening on your strong hand.(GripMaster)
Also I would go back to Basics, get a Single action 22 Revolver. The lowly 22 can be most unforgiving cartridge and will detect any shooting problems or bad habits you may have.

I had "Big Bore Ititus" at one time. The 22 RSS made me a much better shooter. 2000-3000 rounds of 22's will improve your shooting skills. :o

In my opinion, the shooter is over-guned. :wink:

BTW; my 45 Colt load for my SAA 5 1/2" is a 255 gr. SWC and 7 grains of Unique. This is a very controllable load for my 74 year old Hands. This load is a tack driver at 25-50 yards, and shoots at POA.

Have an other shooter shoot the piece if you have doubts about the POA.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30