OT- knife advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

OT- knife advice

Post by shooter »

I was looking at the "best knife to go with your levergun" thread, and I noticed that a few of y'all make some pretty good looking knives. I want to start learning how to make them. Do any of y'all have any book or video recommendations? I want to start out cheap and simple, and get more advanced as I get better. I've got a bunch of old files that I want to start with to get some practice. The only equipment I've really got is a bench grinder. Any advice is appreciated.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you are using an old file, keep it from getting hot as it is already tempered. If you heat it up too much it will be ruined. Keep a bucket of cool water near you and dip the file in it after each pass. Files take a long time to shape as they are already hard. They make great cutting instruments if you are careful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Not to jump on your response piller but files are toohard. They need drawn back a bit before they have the ductility needed (smack one semi-hard against a rock and see what you get). And that's easy to do if you know what you're doing and know what you're working with (what type of steel). Files can make awesome blades, either by accident or knowing what you're doing. I wouldn't suggest using them as a first steel unless you have a ton of files and time.

I suggest getting some 5160 spring steel from one of the many knife supply outfits (google'em). You can buy it in small quantities. It's a very forgiving steel and you can find all the information in the world on the net as to how to quench, temper and finish. Another thing you might want to try your hand at first before a full blown knife is a kit.

As far as what books on how to make a knife I'll have to think on it. My books are currently all boxed up or I'd give you a number of titles with the quickness. I do suggest one, I think it's "How to make knives" by Bob Loveless. It'll give you some good basics on what's needed as far as technique and equipment. I started off with files on a file and a small articulating vise, oxy-acetalene torch and a small toaster oven. I still have some of those knives as they are harder than you can believe, with tempering, to sharpen.

I only use simple high carbon to make my knives. I have full control and sole authorship that I wouldn't with stainless. I don't have the equipment to properly quench and temper it.

You can make it as challenging or as simple as you like, once you get some knowledge.
Old Law Dawg
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am making a knife from a hoof rasp. I reshaped the file to the type of blade profile that I wanted with a grinder, then took a sander with sand paper that is designed for metal to clean up the tool marks. Currently it is my intent to leave a slight hint of the teeth marks on the sides of the blade (I may change my mind). The sides still arnt as polished as I would like, but I have reheated the blade in a forge to a bright orange and then submurged it in used oil. I have been sharpening the blad and seem to be having good luck putting an edge on it. I will grant you this, it is no beauty. However I have tried a few abuse test on it and havent managed to break it yet. If it breaks, OH WELL, it wasnt good as a Horse Rasp any longer either so I guess I am really not out any money and the time that I spend is educational and enjoying.
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

Knife making is something that I've always wanted to try. How would a trucks leaf spring work out? I had picked up a broken section of such a spring with just this in mind.
Don
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Scoutmaster,
It will work, but you have to ; or have someone anneal it for you.
Was there any " bend " in the original configuration?
If there was, it will want to go back to that "memory "
anneal & temper and it will serve you well, that is some of the finest ( scrap steel ) you can come across
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yup made one from a heavy truck spring in the forge I used to have..Drew it out.. rough cut it with the hot chisel..let cool down slow in a box of hydrated lime so she'd be soft & easy to work..Filed it to shape.. drilled it for the scales.. Heated her up to cherry in a dark room.. quenched in a half whiskey barrel full of water.. Then reheated it up to a pale sky blue..Held up pretty good.. Gave it to my nephew.. You can do the same with a file too..
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

shooter,

here's two great places to hang out for all-thing-knives:

www.bladeforums.com
www.knifeforums.com

Cheers,

Carl
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Thanks guys. Hopefully I can get to this soon and have pics in the not too distant future.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It is amazing how when I get going good on a new type of project that some one asks a question related to it here!

I have decided to learn about working metal. I have been welding for a little over a year. I made my "anvil" a few weeks ago. Now I'm working on my gas forge.

The forge, so far:

I made an anvil stand that has a place for the forge last night.

Sorry for the cell phone quality photography, but it's what I had when the photo op presented itself.

I have several hoof rasps from my farrier to play with for starters. Notice the Tidy Cat quenching bucket.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

As for literature in knife making, I suggest "The $50 knife Shop" by Wayne Goddard (sp?). He talks about the first knife he made with just a few dollars worth of tools and materials. Over the years he built various components and scrounged additional material. He is now a full time knife maker putting bread and meat on the table with what started out as a $50 effort.

Here is my own project inspired by Wayne. The sheath design is compliments of the Loveless from the book "How to make knives" by Richard W. Barney and Robert W. Loveless. The gap in the thread retains the knife at the point of the guard.
I got started by grinding blades to the shape I wanted. I was lucky enough to have the equipment to heat treat so could start out with annealed (soft) steel to harden properly later.

Just this past summer, I picked up a Peter Wright anvil at an antique mall for a fair price. I hope to make it ring later this year.

20 Cows
Can you provide more about the design of your forge?
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT- knife advice

Post by Grizzly Adams »

shooter wrote:I was looking at the "best knife to go with your levergun" thread, and I noticed that a few of y'all make some pretty good looking knives. I want to start learning how to make them. Do any of y'all have any book or video recommendations? I want to start out cheap and simple, and get more advanced as I get better. I've got a bunch of old files that I want to start with to get some practice. The only equipment I've really got is a bench grinder. Any advice is appreciated.
Hey, Shooter.

I missed your question on the old thread, so I will chime in here! My recommendation would be to learn the basics of putting together a nice knife before going with the more advanced steps of forging etc. Buy some good quality blade blanks, handle materials and related components from a knife making supply house like Texas Knife Makers Supply or Koval Knives. This will give you the needed practice in assembly and finish finish work that is necessary to more advanced projects.

http://www.texasknife.com/TKS_Mainframe.htm

http://www.kovalknives.com/

Have fun! :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

20 Cows
Can you provide more about the design of your forge?
I got the overall plan from a blacksmith forum. I will have to look on a different computer to find the website address.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Shooter,

Youtube has a good source for me. Actually watch the whole process.

Here is one for a good start. There are 4 parts total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysKd1cs ... re=related

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I finally had time to get the website info for the origins of my forge plans.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/blueprints-10 ... forge.html

I chose this design for it's size, lack of complexity and being made of materials I could relatively easily acquire.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Shooter,

As Ram Hammer mentioned his name, I will add that Mr. Loveless has a video out. I happened upon a VHS copy of it, for just about $2.00.

Robert W. Loveless is also known as "R. W. Loveless", "Robert W. Lovelss", "Bob Loveless", and "Robert Loveless". Bob Loveless has been making knives since 1949, as cited in his video. He founded a knifemaking guild, too. Bob's knives sell for thousands of dollars ($4,000-to-$5,000-plus). He knows that his knives aregood, but never imagined that they would be museum pieces that command such prices. Mr. loveless is an innovator in knifemaking, and his designs are coppied world-wide.

I first heard of Bob Loveless in a "Gun Digest" article about how Bob was grinding away on Colt 1911s and Smith & Wesson Model 41s. Mr. Loveless is also an expert gunsmith, and decided to make a run of what he calls "field guns", using the 41 for his rimfire version.

Loveless on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Loveless

If you can find the video "How to Make Custom Knives", then you can see how the Master does it.

Good luck!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage